Cutting tin (metal) roofing

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I need a couple pieces of metal, tin, roofing about 3' foot long. I have several pieces I have salvaged but I need to cut one. How to cut it?, I know tin snips, but I was thinking a skill saw blade backwards? I saw a "survival" show where they used an axe .... I would like a better finish than than that.

Any suggestions would be great. :D

Take a Skihl saw preferably with an old blade and put it on backwards. Put some eye protection on and this will cut it just as pretty as you please.

Jogeephus":32c1yd66 said:
Take a Skihl saw preferably with an old blade and put it on backwards. Put some eye protection on and this will cut it just as pretty as you please.

+1. I have used this method with corrugated sheet metal and it worked very well. Don't forget the eye protection!

Fine tooth skill saw blade turned backwards is excellent. I built 7 barns in one year here on my place. I had some young, but dependable help. I was afraid one of them would get an eye put out. I bought a shear at harbor freight (most of their stuff is low quality in my opinion). It worked like a charm, and is still working. 70 or 80 bucks. I know if your cutting one piece you don't want to spend that. If a man was going to cut very much, it is the way to go.

Electric shears, or what we have been using some on all kinds of metal and even 3/8 rebar is a skil saw with a Irwin metal cutting blade, there about 40$ but it's actually made for cutting metal and works really well. Now I have to ask, what are you cutting metal for? Ha ha.

I've cut lots of it, crossways and the full length rip of 22' sheets.
I just go down to the local hardware store or big box home improvement and buy a couple/three abrasive discs for my skill saw. Makes a lot better cut imo than a backwards sawblade, and you can cut several pieces at a time. You can get different thickness discs (kerf). Thin works best but wears faster. 1/8" lasts longer but wastes more panel.
I've cut both R panel and corrugated "tin" this way.
Wear full face shield.
If it burrs, use a de-burring knife.
Something like this product:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools ... -saw-blade

Alan":2pxsb8f8 said:
I need a couple pieces of metal, tin, roofing about 3' foot long. I have several pieces I have salvaged but I need to cut one. How to cut it?, I know tin snips, but I was thinking a skill saw blade backwards? I saw a "survival" show where they used an axe .... I would like a better finish than than that.

Any suggestions would be great. :D

This is what I use.
http://www.parkrosehardware.com/rental/ ... al-nippers
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPEEDWAY-16- ... /203185226

James T":3skb085n said:
Jogeephus":3skb085n said:

+1. I have used this method with corrugated sheet metal and it worked very well. Don't forget the eye protection!

Ear plugs would be good idea too..... ;-)

If you are cutting it lengthwise it actually scores quite easily with a good razor blade. Score it twice and then grab both sides and snap it. Best way to make a long cut. A Skil saw will work like guys are saying, but man it can make your ears bleed its so loud.

Seems to me I remember you can cut tin with baling wire. Firmly attach one end of a piece of baling wire to a good oak one by wide and run the wire on top of the board. Lay the tin on top of the wire and attach the other end of the wire to a small piece of wood lathe for a handle. Then place a a couple of small one by's parallel to the line of cut (one on each side), stand on the boards and start pulling on the handle. Seems like I tried it once and it worked but it wasn't a perfectly straight cut especially going crossways to the tin corragations.

1982vett":23wrnfwb said:
James T":23wrnfwb said:
Jogeephus":23wrnfwb said:

+1 on the backwards blade, and + 1 on the ear plugs. It'll make your ears bleed.

tripleBfarms":1pxeplog said:
1982vett":1pxeplog said:
James T":1pxeplog said:
Jogeephus"Take a Skihl saw preferably with an old blade and put it on backwards. Put some eye protection on and this will cut it just as pretty as you please. +1. I have used this method with corrugated sheet metal and it worked very well. Don't forget the eye protection![/quote:1pxeplog said:

+1 on the backwards blade, and + 1 on the ear plugs. It'll make your ears bleed.
It's the reason I prefer the carborundem metal cutting blades. I can stand its noise and burnt sparks flying way better than the noise and flying shards of metal from the backwards sawblade.

Nibblers and shears would even be better but the cost for good ones is prohibitive unless you really have a need for them.

James T":w66wsito said:
Jogeephus":w66wsito said:

dam sure dont forget the eye potection,,, from someone that was in a hurry....

1982vett":1dgpwcs1 said:
It's the reason I prefer the carborundem metal cutting blades. I can stand its noise and burnt sparks flying way better than the noise and flying shards of metal from the backwards sawblade.
Yep--sparks is better than shrapnel any day to me.