How to lose money cutting calves

Help Support CattleToday:

The rancher I helped for a while in south central Washington used a new tag knife. It took the bottom of the sack off slick as a whistle and no exposed edge to cut yourself on.

Dave said:
The rancher I helped for a while in south central Washington used a new tag knife. It took the bottom of the sack off slick as a whistle and no exposed edge to cut yourself on.

I like that idea. I use a Newberry knife most of the time. I cut too many calves with people I don't trust to hold tails while I'm holding a scalpel.

wbvs58 said:
When castrating I always use a scalpel blade only, I don't put it on a handle, just wrap it in the foil to hold onto. I find there is less weight and leverage to get kicked and do damage to me.

Ken
I prefer this way as well.
You can be more precise without the handle.
Pocket knives are awkward to handle and never sharp enough.

Ouch!!
Fence...that looks bad. Deep, and in a bad place.
Frankenstein had some work done that didn't have that many stitches...

callmefence said:
A kick and a slip of the knife equals a 900.00 er bill. Stupid hurts in more ways than one.. ;-)

I cut myself with 5 left. We, me and the wife did finish the job before heading to the er. You know. If you're gonna be stupid you gotta be...

im pretty stupid I think ill keep using bands glad wasn't worse

wbvs58 said:
When castrating I always use a scalpel blade only, I don't put it on a handle, just wrap it in the foil to hold onto. I find there is less weight and leverage to get kicked and do damage to me.

Ken

For cutting pigs we always used the disposable scalpels, that have a short plastics handle on them. Also have used the tin foil wrapper method like you, when making gomer boars.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e0795e-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&sfb=1&itemguid=3269de26-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&utm_content=16939&ccd=IFM003&CAWELAID=120295250000087161&CATARGETID=120295250000178974&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbTU3JzS5QIVHYVaBR0zJQJxEAQYCSABEgIjYvD_BwE

So much for me saying to use an immobolizer. I was castrating a bull calf tonight and using the immobolizer and still cut my finger. Calf didn't move, I just made a mistake.
And yes it was a short scalpel.

kenny thomas said:
So much for me saying to use an immobolizer. I was castrating a bull calf tonight and using the immobolizer and still cut my finger. Calf didn't move, I just made a mistake.

Old Age? :lol: :lol:

JW IN VA said:
kenny thomas said:

Old Age? :lol: :lol:

Sure, let's use that excuse.

OW!.. did any 4 letter words get out?

My friend just had a socket explode on him taking a wheel nut off on a tractor, had to get get a lot of stitches, said it blew his finger into hamburger

My most recent injury (that's visible).. there was a burr on the end of a hose clamp, it just lightly flicked my finger and peeled it right off, doesn't look bad but holy smokes did that hurt like the dickens.. it totally exposed a nerve and touching anything was just agonizing, I'd feel the pain up to my elbow