Cussing AI

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I normally have our vet do our AI. Unfortunately he and 2 members of his family are down with a nasty pnuemonia they can't get rid of.

Called the semen storage place. Guy told me he had already been out here and he prefers to do large number of animals instead of just my 4 head. :secret:
told me to try a neighbor who does it. Called them 3 days ago and have heard nothing from them.

Trying to find someone who does AI right now. Saying alot of unpleasant words right now. Getting down to the wire. Wanted to try them for the 30th of this month.

Might have to call hubby's cousin *shudder* the one I locked horns with over the calf table. We can't stand each other, guess I won't call him.

cuss cuss cuss cuss

Well it looks like whether the hubby likes it or not I may be going to AI school.

When you're a small operaton and depend on others you pretty much are always at their mercy. AI school would eventually pay for itself if you want to continue to AI your cattle.

Till-Hill":9vnjzvb8 said:
Your in Montana right? Call Genex, they are in Billings and have tech's all over the state! Look them up on the internet. http://www.crinet.com

Give Genex a call. Then if need be call the vet again see if he is feeling better as it is only the 19th ,then try your neighbor again and then the last resort get your husband to call his cousin as this is business and pay him the same as you would your vet or AI tech.

You will enjoy the course ,it is well worth it and you learn alot of other things besides AI'ing . Plus you get away from everything for almost a week. It is like an educational holiday no dishes, no cleaning ,just laundry every night :lol: I opted to stay in a hotel even though it was only an hour and a half drive twice a day ,it was the middle of December and -35c when I left, so didn't want to chance driving back and forth, plus it was a holiday for me too. :nod:

Good luck .

Thanks Till-Hill I'll give them a call.

ga.prime I caused a sailor to blush, literaly. I admit I got a foul mouth when I'm mad. I've freaked old men out too. ;-)

HD called the vet again today, he MIGHT be able to do it. They still are not 100% sure what they have that has them so sick. His wife said they think it might be a bacterial mold that is immune to antibiotics. Sent samples to the Mayo clinic. I'm just hoping they all get well soon.
Oh I will NOT let hubby's cousin anywhere near my GH Rambo semen. Cost me a $100 a straw. The *bleep* might just try to walk away with it and use all of my jersey semen in our Herefords instead.

A college south of us was putting on an AI course, but it was during January. It cost $750.00, but I thought it would have been worth it. If I get notified again about it I will go.

hillsdown":2uo6f2em said:
Till-Hill":2uo6f2em said:
Your in Montana right? Call Genex, they are in Billings and have tech's all over the state! Look them up on the internet. http://www.crinet.com

Give Genex a call. Then if need be call the vet again see if he is feeling better as it is only the 19th ,then try your neighbor again and then the last resort get your husband to call his cousin as this is business and pay him the same as you would your vet or AI tech.

You will enjoy the course ,it is well worth it and you learn alot of other things besides AI'ing . Plus you get away from everything for almost a week. It is like an educational holiday no dishes, no cleaning ,just laundry every night :lol: I opted to stay in a hotel even though it was only an hour and a half drive twice a day ,it was the middle of December and -35c when I left, so didn't want to chance driving back and forth, plus it was a holiday for me too. :nod:

Good luck .

Yep nothing quite as relaxing as spending 5 days with your arm up a cows ass. :shock: :lol2: As far as I am concerned no price is too great to pay for AI or preg check. My friend is only 5' tall and by the time she gets rigged up to AI a bunch of cows she looks like a plastic doll. I do not however tease her about her appearance as I don't duck handsfull of cowsh-t as good as I used to.

Ain't that hard to do. Get you a AI kit and study all the material you can on AI. Go to a slaughter house and get a couple of tracts, look them over and make a few dry runs with them blindfolded. then go try to breed a few cows with some cheap semen. Nepfew is trying to learn neighbors cows came to visit yesterday he had two cows in heat. Nepfew came over and we let him try to breed them.

Amo I got it from Tom Lane of 4 L Herefords in Tennessee. Since Rambo has multiple owners I think they are one.

Dale Spencer of Spencer Herefords also is a part owner. Don't remember, but I think he wanted more than that. I went to the first sale he had progeny in, and I liked some of his other sire groups better. Still might try him, but I went with Genex's Revulation. Who knows I might try Rambo in the future. Didn't he come from up in your neck of the woods? Or is he Canadian?

Rambo's from Canada. The breeder had a dispercial sale last year. I missed watching the bull's and bull share's selling but watched the cows.
We got a daughter of his out in the pasture. She's going to be bred for the first time this year.
Like to see how she does as a cow. Want to breed her to our new bull, but that will be next year.

Probably not many dairies in Montana, but that's an idea. I use a young guy near here whose family has a dairy and is set up for AI. Obviously stays good at it. Stores semen for me, too.

Doing it your self is rewarding, but also expensive, do you have your own tank?
Be prepared for the first few attempts to fail! Expensive semen down the drain (so to speak)

I got back into doing A.I. work after many years of being out of it because of a need to use a bull on some purebred cows and didn't want to buy a bull for just a few of them!
I contacted a Jr college and found out they has an A.I. class one day a week for a semester, I never enjoyed a class as much as I did this one.
Long story short, I bred my pure bred cows to a high dollar bull and hit 50% (better than nothing)
I spent $$$ getting the stuff I needed just for me. I was talking to a friend one day in Home Depot and was overheard by a 4 Hr who needed a cow bred, bingo,
I discovered an untapped source of income.
Word of mouth, few flyers in feed stores, and a few ads in C.L.

There are lots of people out there(at least in my area) that have one or two cows but no way to get them bred, currently I am averaging about 2 a week with many being a 10 day cidr sync. which keeps me busy and supplies me with spending money (I'm retired that helps) and the 4 Hrs love it because I let them be involved with the whole process.
Biggest thing is I ENJOY IT.

No hopalong I do not have a tank yet. I missed out on getting a bunch of the stuff from a guy going out of the AI business. He had overheard me asking about some equipment and found out he had just sold it all a couple days before. :(

The vet is feeling better and we are going to do it next week.

TexasBred":32gx74qh said:
When you're a small operaton and depend on others you pretty much are always at their mercy. AI school would eventually pay for itself if you want to continue to AI your cattle.

In my opinion it more than pays for itself. Been doing it myself for a few years now and have never looked back. Infact I went back to school to do ET. I get much better breeding results also. Hands down best business decision ive made to date!
Good luck!
Double R

Yep nothing quite as relaxing as spending 5 days with your arm up a cows ass. :shock: :lol2: As far as I am concerned no price is too great to pay for AI or preg check.[/b] My friend is only 5' tall and by the time she gets rigged up to AI a bunch of cows she looks like a plastic doll. I do not however tease her about her appearance as I don't duck handsfull of cowsh-t as good as I used to.

I had two tiny tots in my class! Was to funny. They had to stand on a bucket to get high enough to "AI" the holsteins! They did a great job and have since been successful in there breedings! Tiny but mitey! lol
Double R

Put the CIDR's in the herefords on the 2nd and the vet and hubby AI'd them this morning. I was gone.
Hope to know if they are bred in 14 days.

I luv herfrds":18bv7uo9 said:
Put the CIDR's in the herefords on the 2nd and the vet and hubby AI'd them this morning. I was gone.
Hope to know if they are bred in 14 days.
Huh?

Vet said to watch them around day 14 to see if they start bulling. If they don't good chance that they are bred.

Latest posts