Simmental Bulls for AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I am in a couple or more off board discussions on the subject of evaluating AI Simmental Sires. Jeanne has been a big help. She even revealed some of her secret weapons. I have consulted with Fire Sweep for several years about Simmental Sires. Kentuckyguy is also involved.

Fire Sweep mentioned a new SS Sire - High Road. Kentuckyguy is checking out Gibbs Broard Range.

Jeanne has mentioned several. One she uses a lot is Executive Order.

I am beginning to consider trying some more Uno Mas. I have a couple and they are maturing very nicely. Great feet, moderate size, calving ease, and good capacity. I will still use some HPF Optimizer and Cowboy Cut.

County O intrigues me a bit. Do like the couple of Cowboy Cut's we have and the others I've seen. The Optimizer's for the most part look good, not a big fan of Uno Mas even though I like his pedigree. Don't think I've seen or know anything about Board Range yet, High Road looks nice. Yes I've noticed Executive Order being used a lot. I haven't made a full conclusion about him yet but most the calves I've seen look mostly sharp. Just my thoughts on the bulls at the moment. We don't have a lot of AI done so I probably won't get to try but just a very few.
Thinking here I need to start looking for a little more frame though. The next walking herd sire here will have a little more height. Think lately I've been a sucker for too moderate frame cattle.

It is my opinion that too many of the current Simmental bulls are moderate framed. I would like to see some fresh pedigrees and more frame as options. It seems to me that the push to lower birth weights has resulted in smaller framed cattle that may or may not milk as well as the previous generations. I have been pretty disappointed in the volume of milk produced my my young cows. I would like to utilize the epd for Milk in future breeding decisions, but I don't have a lot of faith in its accuracy.

It is my opinion that too many of the current Simmental bulls are moderate framed. I would like to see some fresh pedigrees and more frame as options. It seems to me that the push to lower birth weights has resulted in smaller framed cattle that may or may not milk as well as the previous generations. I have been pretty disappointed in the volume of milk produced by my young cows. I would like to utilize the epd for Milk in future breeding decisions, but I don't have a lot of faith in its accuracy.

I'm going to use some Optimizer on my PB cows
Jury still out of my Kuntz Sheriff calves on the red deals. May hold off using much more as he is not at Semex anymore.

Bull with a somewhat outcross pedigree I got my eyes on was raised just north of me is at Sexing Technoligies. OMF Epic #3317371 Homo black with a bunch of red carrier stuff in there

Hook's Blackhawk at ST has caught my eye too. I'm kinda in tank clean out mode using up what I got so if I buy any new bulls next year it has to be a home run proven bull.

I'll give my limited experiences with the Executive Order cattle and his sire W/C United is whatever you do, do not put him on a cow that isn't a pet. Their DOC numbers are very correct. Our W/C United grand daughter here are snots. I've also had limited experience with Dream Catcher daughters. Some of the most unfertile couldn't raise a calf animals I have ever owned.

Now if all your doing is looking to raise a show heifer they seem to fit that mold. EO dam has been a flush cow it looks like since day one. Been flushed to Heat Wave and all kinds of stuff. That's great if it's your cup of tea. It's not mine.

Till-Hill said:
Jury still out of my Kuntz Sheriff calves on the red deals. May hold off using much more as he is not at Semex anymore.

Bull with a somewhat outcross pedigree I got my eyes on was raised just north of me is at Sexing Technoligies. OMF Epic #3317371 Homo black with a bunch of red carrier stuff in there

Hook's Blackhawk at ST has caught my eye too. I'm kinda in tank clean out mode using up what I got so if I buy any new bulls next year it has to be a home run proven bull.

I'll give my limited experiences with the Executive Order cattle and his sire W/C United is whatever you do, do not put him on a cow that isn't a pet. Their DOC numbers are very correct. Our W/C United grand daughter here are snots. I've also had limited experience with Dream Catcher daughters. Some of the most unfertile couldn't raise a calf animals I have ever owned.

Now if all your doing is looking to raise a show heifer they seem to fit that mold. EO dam has been a flush cow it looks like since day one. Been flushed to Heat Wave and all kinds of stuff. That's great if it's your cup of tea. It's not mine.

Thanks for that information. My objective is not show cattle but that does not mean I would not sell one for show. Docility is one of my priorities. I don't like calves that are shy, nervous or flighty.

Here's one we'd wanted to try... but until we use up all the Milestone and Longevity semen in the tank, we're probably not buying any more... Kappes L Man U291 ASA#2455005
http://executivesires.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-performance-simmental-sire.html
Top 1% Docility...but also top 1% WW, YW, ADG, Mrb, TI, and top 2% API

If we weren't cutting cow numbers in half... and strongly considering getting rid of them all... I'd like to try Long's Damien (at Cattle Visions)... I like the Lucky ManXShear Force combo.

W/C Bankroll, TKCC Classified, LHT Viper, W/C Bulleye, WS Revival are my AI sires for this year. Edit to add that Jass On The Mark is also one of my AI sires.

20-20 and Pays to Believe are my embryo sires.

Lots of really good bulls out there that its hard to pick only a few.

Used W/C Executive Order, ACW Ironhide, GEFF County O, HILB Oracle, Mr NLC Upgrade, GLS Brigade, OMF Commander, KOCH Big Timber, and W/C United on cows Hooks Blackhawk, KOCH Big Timber, and WS High Steaks on heifers. Embryos out of EO, Bankroll, Brigade, P2B, OBCC Deplorabull, One Eyed Jack, GLS Yahoo, and United.

Till-Hill said:

Yes I would agree on the dispositions of most of the heifers out of those two bulls can get ranchy if bred to the wrong cow. Bulls on the other hand we have had excellent dispositions on and have heard that Wernings say the same. I am liking ST Genetics actions this year on the Simmental side. Getting some show, grow, and numbers bulls. Plus the sexed semen cost is very good. Looking at flushing a heifer we bought this fall/winter to OMF Epic and either SFI Brigade or HILB Oracle. I saw some partial sibs to Epic sell last fall/winter that I liked.

Bright Raven said:
I am in a couple or more off board discussions on the subject of evaluating AI Simmental Sires. Jeanne has been a big help. She even revealed some of her secret weapons. I have consulted with Fire Sweep for several years about Simmental Sires. Kentuckyguy is also involved.

Fire Sweep mentioned a new SS Sire - High Road. Kentuckyguy is checking out Gibbs Broard Range.

I am beginning to consider trying some more Uno Mas. I have a couple and they are maturing very nicely. Great feet, moderate size, calving ease, and good capacity. I will still use some HPF Optimizer and Cowboy Cut.

Ron I don't know if it's possible to get anymore Legacy blood in a bull than High Road has, Epd profile and pedigree is great but why not just use Shear Force if you want that much Legacy in a bull? He has 5 shots of it in him! Dam also has only had 2 natural calves along with 9 as a donor. Man people jump into flushing a cow pretty fast anymore.

Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:

Ron I don't know if it's possible to get anymore Legacy blood in a bull than High Road has, Epd profile and pedigree is great but why not just use Shear Force if you want that much Legacy in a bull? He has 5 shots of it in him! Dam also has only had 2 natural calves along with 9 as a donor. Man people jump into flushing a cow pretty fast anymore.

But how hard is it to get Shear Force? I will have to check. Shear Force is a foundation bull for the Modern American Simmental.

I personally have never considered having one of my cows flushed. I think it takes a very, very special cow to consider flushing.

Bright Raven said:
Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:

But how hard is it to get Shear Force? I will have to check. Shear Force is a foundation bull for the Modern American Simmental.

I personally have never considered having one of my cows flushed. I think it takes a very, very special cow to consider flushing.
Last time I talked to Tom Hook he still had some. I got 6 units I've been sitting on. I agree with you on the flushing thing. 2 natural calves and to start flushing is bare minimun for my thoughts I think.

Bright Raven said:
Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:

Flush Ronnie. She'd be the one.

bball said:
Bright Raven said:
Till-Hill said:

Flush Ronnie. She'd be the one.

Ronnie and Reina come to mind in my herd. Ronnie is a Rock Star.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
W/C Bankroll, TKCC Classified, LHT Viper, W/C Bulleye, WS Revival are my AI sires for this year. Edit to add that Jass On The Mark is also one of my AI sires.

I have three daughters out of Revival I bought off of Brain Blackford, all three are little on the short side of the spectrum. Good looking, well built, just not as tall as a lot of them.
Don't know what anyone else's experiences have been with Revival.

sim.-ang.king said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:

I have three daughters out of Revival I bought off of Brain Blackford, all three are little on the short side of the spectrum. Good looking, well built, just not as tall as a lot of them.
Don't know what anyone else's experiences have been with Revival.

I'm glad you said that actually. The cow I bred to him will put some serious frame size on one if she isn't bred to the right bull.

Latest posts