Simmental Bulls for AI

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar said:
Man people jump into flushing a cow pretty fast anymore.
Regardless of breed, that's an understatement.

Just out of curiosity why do you say that? One could keep breeding and calving out trash, or could flush a decent one and build a better herd faster. If you are flushing average cows you ain't selling the embryos, unless you found yourself a sucker to buy them.

IMO your achieving the same thing, just one is at a faster pace.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
76 Bar said:
Man people jump into flushing a cow pretty fast anymore.

Just out of curiosity why do you say that? One could keep breeding and calving out trash, or could flush a decent one and build a better herd faster. If you are flushing average cows you ain't selling the embryos, unless you found yourself a sucker to buy them.

Why would you keep calving out trash? I don't mind a first calver that doesn't blow me away but gets bred back, but that 2nd calf better impress me or someone else can own her. No time for that here. Average cows do not need to be flushed. There are so many junk cows and terrible cowmen that own them in the world there is no sense in flushing average cows. Now exceptional cows that have no holes in them and a good pedigree and a proven track record to calve unassisted, breed back and raise an exceptional calf. Yes that's a cow to flush. But each to their own!

Till-Hill said:
Jury still out of my Kuntz Sheriff calves on the red deals.

What's your likes/dislikes so far? I have two May heifers and a bull right now, pleased with all three but the heifers both have a slightly bigger flight zone than what I am used to. Any other red bulls on your radar?

Till-Hill said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
76 Bar said:

Why would you keep calving out trash? I don't mind a first calver that doesn't blow me away but gets bred back, but that 2nd calf better impress me or someone else can own her. No time for that here. Average cows do not need to be flushed. There are so many junk cows and terrible cowmen that own them in the world there is no sense in flushing average cows. Now exceptional cows that have no holes in them and a good pedigree and a proven track record to calve unassisted, breed back and raise an exceptional calf. Yes that's a cow to flush. But each to their own!

You just made my point Till Hill. So many people breed and continue to breed junk cows, so its really no different than flushing an average cow. Most people buying embryos won't buy average cow embryos, on top of that most people with average cows won't spend the money to flush em.

So I guess what I was really getting at is so maybe you flush a young cow that's good but doesn't have a proven track record, but her lineage does. Sometimes to win you have to be thinking 5 steps ahead.

Till-Hill - "OMF Epic #3317371 Homo black with a bunch of red carrier stuff in there"
Could you explain what you mean? If an animal is Homo Black - they have NO red "stuff" in there.

Most of Werning's bulls need a power-house cow, but, they sure will give you correct, balanced calves. I have a lot of big soggy cows, so they work real well for me.

I have heard good reports on Epic. He is on my "check out" list.
Black bulls seem to be a dime a dozen - my problem is finding the "right" red bull to use. I love my Amigos & Beef Makers. Used Pendleton, now Red Answer (full brothers). Tried Law Maker. Got 1 heifer - verdict is not in yet on her. Seems a little leggy, but lately body seems to be catching up to the legs.
Love the looks of HILB Royal Rumble, but, then again, he's an EO son.

Silver said:
If I was in the market to do some AI I'd try to hunt down some RV Nickleback 6U. Just sayin'

I just looked him up. He's a good looking bull and I bet he would be great if you were wanting some practice pulling calves.

kentuckyguy said:
Silver said:
If I was in the market to do some AI I'd try to hunt down some RV Nickleback 6U. Just sayin'

I just looked him up. He's a good looking bull and I bet he would be great if you were wanting some practice pulling calves.

Maybe, likely wouldn't be much of a concern for me or several of the other folks on this thread. I wouldn't shy away anyway.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Till-Hill - "OMF Epic #3317371 Homo black with a bunch of red carrier stuff in there"
Could you explain what you mean? If an animal is Homo Black - they have NO red "stuff" in there.

Most of Werning's bulls need a power-house cow, but, they sure will give you correct, balanced calves. I have a lot of big soggy cows, so they work real well for me.

I have heard good reports on Epic. He is on my "check out" list.
Black bulls seem to be a dime a dozen - my problem is finding the "right" red bull to use. I love my Amigos & Beef Makers. Used Pendleton, now Red Answer (full brothers). Tried Law Maker. Got 1 heifer - verdict is not in yet on her. Seems a little leggy, but lately body seems to be catching up to the legs.
Love the looks of HILB Royal Rumble, but, then again, he's an EO son.
Lots of red carrier/red behind him and its unique he came out homo black. Chances were against that with a pedigree like his

With black being dominant, it's pretty easy to lose all the red.
I have never cared what color my cattle were. I tell everyone "I don't care if they are red, black, or purple polka dotted - just so they are GOOD and what the buyer wants".
We raised a bull that went national carried by a few studs. He was Homo Black. A few years down the road, I realized my herd was maybe 1/3 red, rest black. My herd had been mainly red for many, many years. Red cows got old & got culled and I used my Macho bull quite a lot, so all his offspring were black. So, from that point on, I purposely bred hetero black cows to red bulls and have built up my reds again. Herd still heavier on the blacks, but close to 50/50. Problem is, my reds get sold off pretty quickly for show babies. It's a trend thing. Everyone wanted black, now the REDS are the "new" thing. Go figure.

Latest posts