AI Protocol

Help Support CattleToday:

There are a number of options with positives and negatives to each: https://www.absglobal.com/synchronization-protocols/

Due to schedules we've employed the Fixed Time AI -- 7-Day CIDR co-sync. We've used that on both cows and heifers since we breed all at the same time. Results have varied year to year. Have considered the longer 14-day/30 day options but just haven't moved to that method.

If you can AI yourself and have time to heat detect -- that seems to have the best anecdotal results.

I have been using the 7 day CIDR and PG when I pull CIDRs since I started syncing about 10 years ago. I do my own breeding so breed on observed heat. If I have a cow/heifer that does not show signs of heat with that protocol, I will use the 7 + 7 protocol (did not see it on ABS protocols), but recommended by my vet. started the 7 + 7 two years ago and also started TAI on cows that did not show signs of heat on that protocol. first TAI cow bred had twins the following year. have been satisfied with conception rate and signs of heat from both protocols.

I use an 8 day cidr protocol. Basically it is one of the original protocols. We still have access to oestrodiol so it does make things easier. 2mg oestrodiol when cidr goes in, PG when cidr comes out, half should be in heat at 48 hrs, inseminate them. Non responders get 1mg oestrodiol and 90% of them will be on heat at 72hrs but all of these will be inseminated at 72 hrs even if they don't show heat.
I do tweak things a bit to suit the situation.
Ken

Latest posts