crushing blow from the left.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryder":38uzsotb said:
I have even known some intelligent people from north of the MD line. Although they are few and far between. :nod:

This is an idiotic statement. Physical location of birth, or residence, does not dictate intelligence. That's like saying people who are born in America will be smarter than someone born in, say, Europe. Ideology can be, and is, shaped by geographical location, as well as education, socioeconomic status, etc, but trying to tie IQ to location is beyond belief.

Bestoutwest":2stenwzj said:
Ryder":2stenwzj said:
I have even known some intelligent people from north of the MD line. Although they are few and far between. :nod:

This is an idiotic statement. Physical location of birth does not dictate intelligence. That's like saying people who are born in America will be smarter than someone born in, say, Europe. Ideology can be shaped by geographical location, as education can, but trying to tie IQ to location is beyond belief.

Actually there are studies that the closer your genealogy is to the equator the lower the IQ.

Bestoutwest":9lq5oxl6 said:
Ryder":9lq5oxl6 said:

This is an idiotic statement. Physical location of birth, or residence, does not dictate intelligence. That's like saying people who are born in America will be smarter than someone born in, say, Europe. Ideology can be, and is, shaped by geographical location, as well as education, socioeconomic status, etc, but trying to tie IQ to location is beyond belief.

So you took that seriously? Really?

Caustic Burno":2okok6f0 said:
Bestoutwest":2okok6f0 said:
Ryder":2okok6f0 said:

This is an idiotic statement. Physical location of birth does not dictate intelligence. That's like saying people who are born in America will be smarter than someone born in, say, Europe. Ideology can be shaped by geographical location, as education can, but trying to tie IQ to location is beyond belief.

Actually there are studies that the closer your genealogy is to the equator the lower the IQ.

This isn't an endorsement for multiple generation families from the south.....

Rafter S":lep91lrb said:
Bestoutwest":lep91lrb said:
Ryder":lep91lrb said:

You've read this board. There's a significant bias towards those that live above the MD line.

Bestoutwest":1u45jzyr said:
Caustic Burno":1u45jzyr said:
Bestoutwest":1u45jzyr said:

This isn't an endorsement for multiple generation families from the south.....

You have to go back a few more generations.
It is an interesting theory.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... me-places/

Bestoutwest":8qf1vbc0 said:
Rafter S":8qf1vbc0 said:
Bestoutwest":8qf1vbc0 said:

You've read this board. There's a significant bias towards those that live above the MD line.

I'm pretty sure Ryder didn't expect anyone to take that seriously, much less get offended by it, but since you brought up bias, are you telling me there isn't a perception in the North that southerners aren't intelligent because we talk slow?

Rafter S":2dcj3ii9 said:
Bestoutwest":2dcj3ii9 said:
Rafter S":2dcj3ii9 said:

I'm pretty sure Ryder didn't expect anyone to take that seriously, much less get offended by it, but since you brought up bias, are you telling me there isn't a perception in the North that southerners aren't intelligent because we talk slow?

I'd have to think, but it's not something that was discussed much. I know that those above the MD line, now I-20, are referred to as Dam-n Yankees. I also knew a guy in college who didn't like Texans b/c they are "a bunch of a-h....." which I don't prescribe to. I've only been to Texas once, but I found everyone to be polite and cordial. I know that's not the truth, but it was for me on my trip. For me, I've never thought anyone that talked slow was unintelligent, but I'm not saying that perception doesn't exist.

I don't base someone's intelligence on if they talk slow (er, speak slowly).. I base it on what they say.. One of my best friends, who's a friggin genius has a bad stutter.

Texans.. well.. they can't even get along with each other :p

Nesikep":3o9blxmu said:
I don't base someone's intelligence on if they talk slow (er, speak slowly).. I base it on what they say.. One of my best friends, who's a friggin genius has a bad stutter.

Cross "US" and watch "US" show you how we Texans come together. We're sort of like the Pentecostal's at campmeeting. We preach and pray til midnight the fork and fight til daylight. :mrgreen:

Nesikep":jwy4kdgm said:

Agree.
I live far north of the Mason-Dixon line and have friends, family members and acquaintances of all political leanings, rapidity or slowness of speech...And everything from deeply religious to deeply atheistic to agnostic. (Even dyslexic agnostic: "I'm not really sure if there IS a dog." Sorry, an oldie but goodie)
ANYway: one thing I can tell you: I rarely if ever hear anyone "up north" putting down southerners the way some (many? most?) of you do Northerners. It's really odd to me. There's just not that vitriolic hatred for the south that many of you seem to think exists up here. (And certainly that many of you seem to harbor for the north)....It puzzles me...
I have never once heard anyone even hint that slow-talking equates to dumbness. Now, making blanket assumptions about the state of people's mortal souls based on whether they live north or south of some imaginary wall or line---hmmmm... :tiphat:

boondocks":2zuaxi87 said:
Nesikep":2zuaxi87 said:

Agree.
I live far north of the Mason-Dixon line and have friends, family members and acquaintances of all political leanings, rapidity or slowness of speech...And everything from deeply religious to deeply atheistic to agnostic. (Even dyslexic agnostic: "I'm not really sure if there IS a dog." Sorry, an oldie but goodie)
ANYway: one thing I can tell you: I rarely if ever hear anyone "up north" putting down southerners the way some (many? most?) of you do Northerners. It's really odd to me. There's just not that vitriolic hatred for the south that many of you seem to think exists up here. (And certainly that many of you seem to harbor for the north)....It puzzles me...
I have never once heard anyone even hint that slow-talking equates to dumbness. Now, making blanket assumptions about the state of people's mortal souls based on whether they live north or south of some imaginary wall or line---hmmmm... :tiphat:

The hatred goes back to reconstruction

Nesikep":3qnmvq0k said:

Didn't you once say you were originally from Quebec and wished you'd never left it?

Caustic Burno":mkj4uawc said:
boondocks":mkj4uawc said:
Nesikep":mkj4uawc said:

Agree.

Back in the early 70's I was in one heck of a fight in a dance hall parking lot in Texas. The fight started because some idiot thought I sounded like a"dam Yankee". I never thought of myself as a yankee. I was born and raised on the Washington coast. That would make me a westerner.

A lot of what you northerners take so seriously wasn't meant to be serious. In many cases it's not intelligence that's lacking, but an appreciation for, and understanding of, what we consider humor.

For an example, I'd be astonished if the remark that got bestoutwest so upset was meant to be anything other than a friendly insult (which we don't do to people we don't like). Do y'all not understand that concept?

Rafter S":2lk6hdld said:
A lot of what you northerners take so seriously wasn't meant to be serious. In many cases it's not intelligence that's lacking, but an appreciation for, and understanding of, what we consider humor.

For an example, I'd be astonished if the remark that got bestoutwest so upset was meant to be anything other than a friendly insult (which we don't do to people we don't like). Do y'all not understand that concept?
I understood perfectly which comments were intended "with malice aforethought" and which were ribbing. ( I wasn't troubled by the one Best reacted to).
The "insult" thing varies by region in my experience. I was born and raised in the Midwest (fairly rural area). People were expected to have good manners above all. I once got in a boatload of trouble with my parents for using the word "fart." (probably why I curse like a sailor now). One did not make bodily function jokes, or use insults unless you meant them.
Then I lived in Chicago for awhile. There, basic Midwestern politeness was still the golden standard (even if people crammed like sardines can't always uphold it).
Now, living in NY (even though upstate and rural), the "friendly insult" thing has taken some getting used to. People are much rougher; just a different culture. I think the concept of the "friendly insult" is far more nuanced than north v south.

Caustic Burno":225ukczx said:

Well then I guess I have the "right" to hate all southerners for torturing my gggrandfather at Andersonville. But that would be crazy coz I know some of y'all are old but I don't think you're quite THAT old? ;-)
In short, I don't believe in the old adage of the "sins of the father" and all that. If people were to hold my dad's doings against me, I'd be in some deep trouble. :lol:

Then I lived in Chicago for awhile. There, basic Midwestern politeness was still the golden standard (even if people crammed like sardines can't always uphold it).
Must have been a different Chicago than the one I was in in the mid 70s..same with Waukegan.

I don't know about Cali, but i'm about ready to build a wall to keep the idiots living north of Taylorsville out of Southern IL. I already have a travel ban to Chicago in place.

Latest posts