crushing blow from the left.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1daucryk said:
Then I lived in Chicago for awhile. There, basic Midwestern politeness was still the golden standard (even if people crammed like sardines can't always uphold it).
Must have been a different Chicago than the one I was in in the mid 70s..same with Waukegan.
Dam, I hadn;t thought of lovely waukegan in years. Winter of 64-65 when the doors in "snipes castle" froze open from the freezing rain.

boondocks":39m6nkqi said:
Rafter S":39m6nkqi said:
A lot of what you northerners take so seriously wasn't meant to be serious. In many cases it's not intelligence that's lacking, but an appreciation for, and understanding of, what we consider humor.

For an example, I'd be astonished if the remark that got bestoutwest so upset was meant to be anything other than a friendly insult (which we don't do to people we don't like). Do y'all not understand that concept?
I understood perfectly which comments were intended "with malice aforethought" and which were ribbing. ( I wasn't troubled by the one Best reacted to).
The "insult" thing varies by region in my experience. I was born and raised in the Midwest (fairly rural area). People were expected to have good manners above all. I once got in a boatload of trouble with my parents for using the word "fart." (probably why I curse like a sailor now). One did not make bodily function jokes, or use insults unless you meant them.
Then I lived in Chicago for awhile. There, basic Midwestern politeness was still the golden standard (even if people crammed like sardines can't always uphold it).
Now, living in NY (even though upstate and rural), the "friendly insult" thing has taken some getting used to. People are much rougher; just a different culture. I think the concept of the "friendly insult" is far more nuanced than north v south.
I rib people a lot... but when it comes to insults, there will be no mistaking my intention.. no big discussion of "did he mean it this way or that way".. I've gone that far once on this forum and it was directed at SirLoin

The problem with text is it doesn't transfer tone of voice worth a darn, and that sure makes a big difference when it comes to how someone interprets something.. need the smilies! :banana:

boondocks":2myxsx3o said:
Caustic Burno":2myxsx3o said:
The hatred goes back to reconstruction

Well then I guess I have the "right" to hate all southerners for torturing my gggrandfather at Andersonville. But that would be crazy coz I know some of y'all are old but I don't think you're quite THAT old? ;-)
In short, I don't believe in the old adage of the "sins of the father" and all that. If people were to hold my dad's doings against me, I'd be in some deep trouble. :lol:

My grandparents were born during reconstruction.
Andersonville wasn't shyt to what the carpetbaggers did to the south.
It was just one of many POW camps that were heII holes on both sides.
Funny how Northerners never remember Fort Delaware death pen or Elmira N.Y.
There actions drove our politics into the 50's and 60's.
Read about the jaybird pecker wood war to understand the feelings and politics.

http://digging-history.com/2013/11/15/f ... ecker-war/

boondocks":1hkkl6h5 said:
Caustic Burno":1hkkl6h5 said:

Well then I guess I have the "right" to hate all southerners for torturing my gggrandfather at Andersonville. But that would be crazy coz I know some of y'all are old but I don't think you're quite THAT old? ;-)
In short, I don't believe in the old adage of the "sins of the father" and all that. If people were to hold my dad's doings against me, I'd be in some deep trouble. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol2: Wouldn't we all

Nesi's post about sarcasm/humor not transferring across the written word is very true. Whether Ryder was kidding or not, it did not come across that way. For me, I like to add a smiley face or make it so over the top that there's no mistaking it as a joke.

So without further adieu, here we go. Joke time. It's one of my favorites:
What's 50 feet long, has one tooth and smells like urine?
The line for concessions at a Univ. of Texas football game.

Caustic Burno":2a0nj3uz said:
boondocks":2a0nj3uz said:
Caustic Burno":2a0nj3uz said:

War, and the subsequent years of occupation, usually create nothing but animosity. That the US is so friendly with Germany, Japan and especially Vietnam is surprising, and probably based solely on the fact that we are at the top of buying economies. Honestly, I believe that the US should have allowed the South to succeed. I imagine that relations would have remained better had that happened.

Bestoutwest":1jqg303a said:
Nesi's post about sarcasm/humor not transferring across the written word is very true. Whether Ryder was kidding or not, it did not come across that way. For me, I like to add a smiley face or make it so over the top that there's no mistaking it as a joke.

:lol:

I have sometimes felt the same. But I figured if we had we would have ended up like europe with a bunch of pizzy little countrys that don;t and wont amount to anything and be a drag on all of the other countrys around them.

Bestoutwest":14bccxbj said:
Caustic Burno":14bccxbj said:
boondocks":14bccxbj said:

War, and the subsequent years of occupation, usually create nothing but animosity. That the US is so friendly with Germany, Japan and especially Vietnam is surprising, and probably based solely on the fact that we are at the top of buying economies. Honestly, I believe that the US should have allowed the South to succeed. I imagine that relations would have remained better had that happened.

I don't know what would have been better. Just have to study both sides in history to get a grasp on how we got there. Doesn't make either side right as there are always three sides to the story. Like the politics that created LBJ that have lead us to the cliff we are about to go over today goes back to the Civil War.

dun":19u3ksk2 said:
I have sometimes felt the same. But I figured if we had we would have ended up like europe with a bunch of pizzy little countrys that don;t and wont amount to anything and be a drag on all of the other countrys around them.

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? With what I've read (I'm working my way through Battle Cry of Freedom) I think the North would have been fine for a bit. But when the South got oil, via Texas, all bets would have been off. It sure makes for an interesting thought....

Bestoutwest":2iv5nzdy said:

If you would read my post I DID put a " :nod: " face on it denoting humor.
Others recognized my post as I intended it.
You thought otherwise. So be it.
What you think about me and my intelligence level is really none of my business. You can keep your problem.

Ryder":28b2ayz6 said:
What you think about me and my intelligence level is really none of my business. You can keep your problem.

I apologize, I missed it. :tiphat: My cognitive reading skills were having a moment, apparently.

I still stand by my previous statement about Univ. of Texas concession lines, though.

I admit I used to hate all Southerners, but then I took a trip down South and realized Cyclone fans were for the most part okay, but Hawkeye fans on the other hand... Now I have shifted my hatred to people out East, very few Packer and Badger fans that I can tolerate.

Seriously though in my travels I've found people to be the same all over. 95% are good people doesn't matter if your from the North, South, East, West, Country, City, Right Wing, Left Wing, Black, White, whatever. But stereotypes are a good source for comedy, most people get that and are fine with it. But that 5%...

ChrisB":fbpperjj said:
I admit I used to hate all Southerners, but then I took a trip down South and realized Cyclone fans were for the most part okay, but Hawkeye fans on the other hand... Now I have shifted my hatred to people out East, very few Packer and Badger fans that I can tolerate.

Seriously though in my travels I've found people to be the same all over. 95% are good people doesn't matter if your from the North, South, East, West, Country, City, Right Wing, Left Wing, Black, White, whatever. But stereotypes are a good source for comedy, most people get that and are fine with it. But that 5%...

I can appreciate how you feel. Me, I generally dislike people no matter what their background or origin. Back when I traveled the country I always found it amusing how people thought they had the prettiest women, toughest men, and generally the best of everything in their small location. I strangely didn't find this to be true because there are pretty women and tough men every where. Obviously someone somewhere is the prettiest and toughest but what day is it?

Bestoutwest":lpw5orrr said:
Ryder":lpw5orrr said:

I apologize, I missed it. :tiphat: My cognitive reading skills were having a moment, apparently.

I still stand by my previous statement about Univ. of Texas concession lines, though.
:D

Latest posts