Crossbreeding can help dairy herds

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Crossbreeding can help herds
this document web posted: Wednesday May 4, 2005 20050505p73

By Ian Bell
Brandon bureau

Inbreeding in dairy cattle is leading to fertility challenges that research suggests can be alleviated partially by crossing different breeds of dairy cattle.

Les Hansen, a dairy geneticist at the University of Minnesota, and two of his colleagues studied the issue of inbreeding. They presented their findings in February at a dairy extension seminar attended by producers from four American states.

They found that Holsteins have become more inbred over time and that two bulls now make up more than 30 percent of the gene pool of Holsteins in the United States. They noted the narrowing of the genetic base globally is almost as severe.

One of the first negative effects of inbreeding is reduced cow fertility, wrote Hansen and his colleagues in their report. An inbred embryo is more likely to be non-viable and sloughed, meaning that the cow remains open longer.

The dairy geneticists looked at the benefits of crossbreeding Holsteins with other dairy breeds to alleviate calving difficulties and fertility challenges. The Holsteins were crossed with the Normande, Montebeliarde and Scandinavian Red breeds.

Generally, the crossbreeding resulted in fewer calving difficulties and stillbirths in comparison to what was seen with Holsteins.

In a study of the number of days the cows remained open during their first lactation, it was found that the Holsteins remained open the longest, at an average of 150 days. With the Normande-Holstein crossbreds, the number of days open during the first lactation averaged 123.

The first service conception rate averaged 30-35 percent for the crossbreds, while it was 22 percent for pure Holsteins.

It was also found that the milk production from the crossbreds was not much different from that of the Holsteins.

"If you look across the breeds, including the Normande, there would be a slight loss of production, but nothing that's so extreme that the other traits can't make up for it," Hansen said.

Hybrid vigour is one of the bonuses producers can expect from crossbreeding.

However, he cautioned that dairy producers should not regard crossbreeding as a dairy genetic improvement program.

He said the performance of the crossbreds still relies on the quality of genetics within the individual breeds. Producers still need to look for genetics from bulls that are the best in their breed and progeny tested.

"Over time, if you're going to improve the cows for production and for health and fertility, that can only happen by using better and better bulls

i know this if id stayed in the dairy business i wouldve changed my herd over to 90% crossbreeds b/c of the protine and butter fat besides they can take the heat alot better than holsteins be out eating in the heat scott

frenchie":2czqyoo9 said:
Crossbreeding can help herds
this document web posted: Wednesday May 4, 2005 20050505p73

By Ian Bell
Brandon bureau

Inbreeding in dairy cattle is leading to fertility challenges that research suggests can be alleviated partially by crossing different breeds of dairy cattle.

Les Hansen, a dairy geneticist at the University of Minnesota, and two of his colleagues studied the issue of inbreeding. They presented their findings in February at a dairy extension seminar attended by producers from four American states.

They found that Holsteins have become more inbred over time and that two bulls now make up more than 30 percent of the gene pool of Holsteins in the United States. They noted the narrowing of the genetic base globally is almost as severe.

One of the first negative effects of inbreeding is reduced cow fertility, wrote Hansen and his colleagues in their report. An inbred embryo is more likely to be non-viable and sloughed, meaning that the cow remains open longer.

The dairy geneticists looked at the benefits of crossbreeding Holsteins with other dairy breeds to alleviate calving difficulties and fertility challenges. The Holsteins were crossed with the Normande, Montebeliarde and Scandinavian Red breeds.

Generally, the crossbreeding resulted in fewer calving difficulties and stillbirths in comparison to what was seen with Holsteins.

In a study of the number of days the cows remained open during their first lactation, it was found that the Holsteins remained open the longest, at an average of 150 days. With the Normande-Holstein crossbreds, the number of days open during the first lactation averaged 123.

The first service conception rate averaged 30-35 percent for the crossbreds, while it was 22 percent for pure Holsteins.

It was also found that the milk production from the crossbreds was not much different from that of the Holsteins.

"If you look across the breeds, including the Normande, there would be a slight loss of production, but nothing that's so extreme that the other traits can't make up for it," Hansen said.

Hybrid vigour is one of the bonuses producers can expect from crossbreeding.

However, he cautioned that dairy producers should not regard crossbreeding as a dairy genetic improvement program.

He said the performance of the crossbreds still relies on the quality of genetics within the individual breeds. Producers still need to look for genetics from bulls that are the best in their breed and progeny tested.

"Over time, if you're going to improve the cows for production and for health and fertility, that can only happen by using better and better bulls
:idea: Here is another PRIME example of the effectiveness of HETEROSIS! Granted, the study is with dairy cattle, however, basically a cow is a cow is a cow, and Beef breeds will benefit from the use of HETEROSIS to a higher degree because there are more factors affecting the $Profit margin of Beef Cattle than are being stressed by the Dairy people. Intelligent Breeding and Management Practices don't lie. Give this a lot of thought, friends. The HIGH QUALITY of the genetics and their PROPER use will determine the future improvement of your seedstock.

We have a lot of holstein crosses such as milking shorthorn jersey hereford adn red angus we also have some pure holsteins the milking shorthorns are the cutest but the herefords are the "strongest" we had a hereford/holstein born outside in the snow i wasnt going to carry it in because i saw no point but i did and shes a healthy happy normal heifer . is this normal with the herefords that they can with stand the cold better?

4-H fanatic":begi6yet said:
We have a lot of holstein crosses such as milking shorthorn jersey hereford adn red angus we also have some pure holsteins the milking shorthorns are the cutest but the herefords are the "strongest" we had a hereford/holstein born outside in the snow i wasnt going to carry it in because i saw no point but i did and shes a healthy happy normal heifer . is this normal with the herefords that they can with stand the cold better?
-To answer your question very quickly - YES! Now, consider the Basic Purposes of each breed. Milk type - primary purpose - Milk Production - and for many generations the milk type have been cared-for and pampered, and protected in barns and observed at least twice EVERY day 24/7/365. Their 'toughness' and Reticuloendothelial Systems (Immune Support) have 'relaxed' so-to-speak because man has sort of taken over. On the other hand - Beef Production - their purpose is to produce a calf every year and RAISE that calf in ALL kinds of tough weather and range or pasture conditions and SURVIVE and wean a strong and healthy calf, and re-breed EVERY YEAR without very much help from man. If they can't do that - they are gone. Therefore, they get tougher by the mere process of elimination. Your Hereford/Holstein is probably a tough little monkey. If you can give a LITTLE help to an animal and alllow it to grow up and produce a profit (either as a marketable veal, or - - (think about this :idea: she might make a pretty good recipient for Embryo Transfer) you are ahead of the game. And we all need to be ahead of the game, even if it is a little bit! Good luck with your 4H work. Study and Think and have Compassion with our animals. They are our best friends.

Crossbreeding of Holsteins and Jerseys has been going on for quite a while, it's only recently that the Norwegian and Swedish reds and the Montebeliard have started being touted as the next great thing. We looked into it but the research just has been done to the extent that would give us a warm and fuzzy that it will help. The genral consensus has been that the Montebeliard will give you a bigger moe vigorous animal but less milk and only a slight improvement on components, Norwegian reds supposedly have poor udders and Swdish reds have poor feet and legs. It seems that as much could be accomplished with using Ayrshires, Jerseys and Holsteins in a 3 way crossbreeding program. It would also allow a wider selection of genetics then the scandinavian or european breeds. Complimentary traits is/should be considered when crossbreeding. I knew of a dairy in S. CA that milked beef and dairy crossbreeds. He had terrible milk production, but the reason he used the crossbreeds is he only got a little over one lactation out of any of his cows before they went down the road. I never classified him as a dairyman, just a guy that milked a lot of cows. Or, the Holstein breeders could get their heads out of their butts and work within the breed to regain the qualities they managed to breed out.

dun

I would be willing to put any herd of well managed holsteins against any herd of crossbred dairy cattle in the United States. Put them in identical barns with identical feed, breeding and health protocol. I would be willing to wager the Holsteins will be far more profitable.

There are several grazing dairies in our county here in East Texas. One uses almost all Holstien, one is all Jersey and several use a lot of crossbred cows. It is interesting to see the various dairy crosses. They are a little smaller in stature (unless Holstien X Swiss). That is good in a primarily grass based operation. One of my friends has a lot of Holsteins but also has been using Milking Shorthorn bulls. He has used Brown Swiss, Jersey, Dutch Belts. The crosses take our Texas summers better and are a little hardier.

We used to buy holstein/hereford cross heifers. they make great mother cows, When crossed back to hereford bulls, you get a good calf.
I wish I had some now, but the dairies arn't doing that cross much anymore.

I work for the Canadian Milking Shorthorn Society - would be interested in knowing more of your experience with crossing with Milking Shorthorn. Also, we register crossbreds, for those interested in "grading-up"

Cheers
Ryan
[email protected]

Latest posts