Critique this breed mix

Help Support CattleToday:

Yea. Good choice. The light colored Charolais calves may do better in the heat. Feedlots will pay premiums too.
I agree that a Charolais cross would do well and should be well accepted. The original post was looking to red cattle is my reasoning for the red Simmental.

I wouldn't bother having any dairy in the herd when your end goal is to sell terminal calves. Just be selective on your beef cows and cull anything that doesn't grow a big calf and cross those good cows with a terminal high growth beef bull. I bet a little ear, some red or cream calves sell good down there.

How about Red Angus x Herford cows and use a Charolais bull?
I posted on another thread about an operation I delivered a Brangus bull to a couple of weeks ago. Man had a herd of about 25-30 Charloais that he breeds to a reg Red Angus bull every year. He was getting big ole blondish red calves from this cross. His steers don't bring as much as the blacks do around here, but those heifers bring a hell of a price...what few he sells. He has been keeping most of them and breeding them 1st time to reg homozygous black Brangus, and 2nd and every other year to a reg. homozygous black Simmental. Now THOSE black steers bring top dollar,. and so do those black heifers. If the OP and his uncle like red cows, those Red Ang x Charolais were about as well put-together as any cows I have seen.

Latest posts