Young bull critique

Help Support CattleToday:

can't say anything bad from the pic. he does have a nice "herd bull" look to him for being 14 months.

Have a question for all of you. When looking for the positive/negative in bulls, cows, calves(heifers or bulls) can you accurately
say that they are a good representation of that breed without knowing what breed they are? I understand looking for conformational
negative/positives, I realize that your first thought is "what, can't tell what breed they are" ? Should a Charolais look like a white angus?
I realize there can be a huge variation within a breed, which seems odd. Simmental's are black ? Should a Simmental be built like an
angus? The Maine-Anjou cattle (Durham x Mancelle) were a red/light red with white, no black genetics there, but after arriving in the US,
they suddenly became black ? So will the breeds eventually all look similar, or will some breeders retain the original standard for that breed ?
Perhaps the first Charolais I saw was not a good representation of the breed.

Back to the 14 month old bull, no matter what the breed, he is a fairly nice looking animal. Not sure about front legs/feet. But could be
angle of picture/soft ground

Need to see him walk to make any opinions beyond this pic. If his natural stance has his back legs that close together, I would assume his rear muscling isn't balanced. Just a thought.

There isn't enough in the picture to make a case one way or the other. I would definitely want to see him out of the pen where he could walk to check out his overall structure more thoughly especially his feet amd legs.

Latest posts