Critique me!

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Take a look at these two cows.

We have just pulled them out of the paddock yesterday to take them to a local show. They have only had hay/silage, no grain.

6 y.o cow with 4 w.o bull calf at foot

Murray_grey_photos_13-10-07_009.JPG

3 y.o cow with 4 w.o heifer calf at foot

Murray_grey_photos_13-10-07_007.JPG

Fire away!

nice pairs. I'd like to see a better udder on the white cow but the calf seems to have good growth. Interesting how the calves both followed the color pattern of the cow, is that typical?

Very nice!

From these pics I would prefer the smokey. I have a Charolais/Brangus cross that I hope turns out as nice as the white cow (she is similar in color). The smokey seems to have better rib spring, topline, and depth as well as overall conformation.

What are their breed composition percentages?

I would prefer the Smoky cow, because it looks like to me that the Charolais cow doesn't have enough milk to support that calf, but the calf looks pretty good. Nice cattle overall, just prefer the Smoky cow.

THG

Look good Karen.What is with the udder on the six year old?Although, her calf seems to be very well adjusted.

I have two 3 year old's that are the exact same coloring but they are Gelbvieh with red,gold and black in their pedigree. I also have three more that color this year and they are all PB's.

Good luck at the Show.....

I've posted this on the show board, but this thread seems to be getting more views.

Beautiful examples of the breed!

It's hard to fault either. The first cow seems to be doing an excellent job on her calf, as is the second.

That second cow has a beautiful udder from what I can see. Which would just put her above the other cow for me, although I can't see as much of her udder(that could just be my computer though). However the first calf seems to hold a bit more condition.

Both great cows :D

I think the calf is pretty good evidence that the cow milks. I didn't realize udder size correlated all that well to milk production.

what are good corrolators for %butterfat. this would make up some for udder size maybe.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Interesting thing about the udder on the silver cow - here is a picture of her when she is bagged up

Mums_photos_15-09-07_723.jpg

It really is the same cow, no joke.

When I went to go get them from the paddock, she was standing there on calf duty (looking after about twenty calves) and she had three drinking off her - one on either side, and one out the back :lol:

When I took the picture the calf had just drunk her out - for a professional shot I usually bag them up but these were just taken for our own records.

FWIW, I have learnt by experience that udder size doesnt give a reliable indication of milk sufficiency. We have some cows whose udders look like the silver cow in the first photo, but they raise outstanding calves due to butterfat % etc.

Just shows that pictures can deceive! :)

Also, as you said,the calf had just drunk her out.

They would both appear pretty equal to me now.

Both outstanding cows!

To answer the questions raised:

iowahawkeyes - the colour is a bit of a lucky dip. The calves are not always the same colour as the cows, and also if you breed a silver cow to a silver bull you are still just as likely to get a chocolate calf.

Mr Greenjeans they are both 100% Murray Grey. I hope your female turns out good for you.

Hillsdown, thanks for the luck (although its just a little show, we take a big team to support it because often they dont get very many cattle)

Bek - thanks for commenting twice! I posted it on both boards because you get a different perspective here (in some cases a better perspective)

Also, forgot to add on my other reply that the calf on the chocolate cow was a touch sick that day and had not drunk for most of the day, hence why the chocolate cow's udder was full and looks so much better than the silver cow's.

Latest posts