Craigslist Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus I don't have a problem either with it as a beef animal but from my experience maybe im crazy but seems takes longer for Holsteins to grow. Every Wednesday the sale barn sells bottle calves from 25- 125 per head and im wondering what makes these so special. I can get them all day long way cheaper and they are about a week old and I cant believe that 3 weeks old they want that price.

skyhightree1":2vrhit76 said:
Taurus I don't have a problem either with it as a beef animal but from my experience maybe im crazy but seems takes longer for Holsteins to grow. Every Wednesday the sale barn sells bottle calves from 25- 125 per head and im wondering what makes these so special. I can get them all day long way cheaper and they are about a week old and I cant believe that 3 weeks old they want that price.
They want that much because they think that there calves are worth that much more for being on the farm and not out of a Salebarn. It's like that here also and that's the case with most all craigslist cattle.

Here we are in a high demand area for baby Holsteins, at the dairy sale they have been bringing 200 to 240$ for 3 day old calves, so those calves would sell.

skyhightree1":2o18h5ca said:
Like I said, the prices are that crazy.

I think what he really meant is treat them like beef cattle. Like have a herd of Holstein cows in the pasture and running a Holstein bull on them...I know someone tried do that but he keeps culling the cows every time they get bigger and older. However the calves were very nice, all meaty and robust, all raised by their own mommas.

I can assure yall of one thing and that is.... I aint buying them. I do agree that people want more money when you buy from them direct but these prices are just insane.

skyhightree1":2itxenm5 said:
I can assure yall of one thing and that is.... I aint buying them. I do agree that people want more money when you buy from them direct but these prices are just insane.

Saw a few sell Friday at a dairy auction. Bought a couple of heifers for nurse cow prospects. One of them was $105 and looks better than the one in the ad.

backhoeboogie":3azkiuhe said:
skyhightree1":3azkiuhe said:

Saw a few sell Friday at a dairy auction. Bought a couple of heifers for nurse cow prospects. One of them was $105 and looks better than the one in the ad.

I don't know who he's trying to fool in that ad but I think he needs to leave the wacky tobacky alone :lol2: best I can figure is hes trying to take advantage of those that cant make it to the sale barn.

denvermartinfarms":2hl51egb said:
skyhightree1":2hl51egb said:
They want that much because they think that there calves are worth that much more for being on the farm and not out of a Salebarn. It's like that here also and that's the case with most all craigslist cattle.
Or--they're trying to sell to hobby/backyard herders that just look for the "cute" factor. Lots of those people don't have enough sense to realize sale barn cattle and calves come right from farms the day of or day before the sale.

Some sales still have the occasional doodlers and rannies the traders bring in. There is a reason they start those cheap. Somebody bought them and will now sell on craigslist. You can probably make a pretty good living taking advantage of folks.

It amazes me that people go buy from stores all the time and check the bread, look for broken eggs in the carton, check for expiration dates etc. The same people refuse to buy calves at the sale barn.

You get entire estates going through the barn occasionally and some of those cattle genetics have been retained for a long time in the herd. That old cattlemen knew cattle and kept good genetics. Kids lived in the city and don't have the time to mess with the cows. So the herd gets disbursed at the sale barn. Some horse trader is going to sell cows with half the genetic potential for considerably more to someone on craigslist. Probably bought 30 head at the sale barn and puts the culls out for a profit. He's got the perfect bait and switch opportunity too if someone sees a different cow they like.

Great points... lol another example dmf it never ends and I bet you someone has already called and asked to come see them.

skyhightree1":8c577yki said:
Great points... lol another example dmf it never ends and I bet you someone has already called and asked to come see them.
I know I can buy nicer heifers than those for 1500$ all day.

skyhightree1":35d8rvrm said:
http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/4399114909.html
2500$ for a good cow with a 500lb calf ain't bad if I read that right. that's another thing about these craigslist cattle, everyone words what they say such a way that i often have trouble understanding exactly what there selling and what the prices are.

Latest posts