Craigslist Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I sold these on Craigslist.

DSC00502.JPG

fitz

Limomike":262lko98 said:
sky.. have you ever sold any on there?

No but I should start cause we have alot of rich folk here that if you put organic on it they will give you a blank check to fill in any amount almost :lol2:

TexasBred":262lko98 said:
Limomike":262lko98 said:
All of those are his. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

I told you don't tell anyone ;-)

fitz how would you compare their sale to if you took them to a yard and sold them?

I've sold several on craigslist, and bought some too. I try to post fair prices, most people want to ask 2x times what they are worth because they "aren't sale barn cattle".

My guess would be that there are a lot that are trying to keep the money under the table. That would be the only reason I could see anyone bothering with it.

skyhightree1":1b1zriha said:
Limomike":1b1zriha said:

No but I should start cause we have alot of rich folk here that if you put organic on it they will give you a blank check to fill in any amount almost :lol2:

TexasBred":1b1zriha said:
Limomike":1b1zriha said:
All of those are his. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

I told you don't tell anyone ;-)

fitz how would you compare their sale to if you took them to a yard and sold them?

A little higher maybe. In line for fair I think. Plus I don't have to haul them or pay fees at the barn.
Maybe on those too low as the first guy that came by took them.

fitz

Clist is on your own time which some people may be too busy to get to sale barn or sale barn really far away and clist may enable them to cut out travel expenses

fitz[b:2rc579pw said:
[/b]

A little higher maybe. In line for fair I think. Plus I don't have to haul them or pay fees at the barn.
Maybe on those too low as the first guy that came by took them.

fitz[/quote]

I may try to sell a few maybe. I can understand why you did it. I like to keep a closed herd and mostly buy from the same person but hes selling out this year so i would like to try and develop a relationship with someone else that i can trust and buy from so I figure when I look on clist it may help me find that person most guys here have dairy and some with beef but only sell at the barn.

Aaron":2n3vp663 said:
My guess would be that there are a lot that are trying to keep the money under the table. That would be the only reason I could see anyone bothering with it.

I haven't sold many on there but I didn't miss the fees from the barn on the ones I did. At least 98% of my calves are sold thru the local sale barns.
Ever so often I have a decent group of heifers that I can't keep. I'll give CL a shot before I take them for slaughter calves.

fitz

fitz":foccqj42 said:
Aaron":foccqj42 said:

I haven't sold many on there but I didn't miss the fees from the barn on the ones I did. At least 98% of my calves are sold thru the local sale barns.
Ever so often I have a decent group of heifers that I can't keep. I'll give CL a shot before I take them for slaughter calves.

fitz

Salebarn checks have always cashed for me. Can't say the same about all the other checks people have written through the years.

BIL wanted me to go look at some heavy bred cattle with him. Not sure they were advertised on CL or not. Somewhere. The guy was a horse trader. Cows were old and from the sale barn. Sale barn tags were removed but evidence remained. Over priced and on their last days. He smiled really nice and was polite. Good pitch man but he had sorry cows.

backhoeboogie":38qv5513 said:
fitz":38qv5513 said:
Aaron":38qv5513 said:

fitz

Salebarn checks have always cashed for me. Can't say the same about all the other checks people have written through the years.

BIL wanted me to go look at some heavy bred cattle with him. Not sure they were advertised on CL or not. Somewhere. The guy was a horse trader. Cows were old and from the sale barn. Sale barn tags were removed but evidence remained. Over priced and on their last days. He smiled really nice and was polite. Good pitch man but he had sorry cows.

Good points, BHB. My checks cashed, even when Eastern Livestock crashed. Auction barns provide a service, with a price, and Craigslist is "Caveat Emptor".

backhoeboogie":ntefj4i5 said:
fitz":ntefj4i5 said:
Aaron":ntefj4i5 said:

fitz

Accepting Cash only works fine with me whenever I sell something on craigslist. I don't even take checks with my business too much headache. I will take cashiers checks though no personal when I am dealing with a private person.

backhoeboogie":292h7bt8 said:
fitz":292h7bt8 said:
Aaron":292h7bt8 said:

fitz

That would be my biggest concern.

Never sold any large animals on CL, but have bought and sold lots of other things. Always sell out of poultry in a day or two. Have sold lots of tools, farm equipment and recently sold a truck. Cash only. If they have the money to write a check, they can stop at the bank on the way here and exchange that check for cash.
I will take checks from clients, but I know where they live. :lol2:

The most profitable set of cows that I've ever owned was a set of registered cows that I saw on craigslist. All the seller wanted was someone who would use the genetics and was willing to let them go for what grade pairs were worth. They have paid their way in terms of calves that I've sold but I have a hard time determining their real worth to my future as I've produced so many bulls out of them that they will be influencing my herd for years to come.

Calhoun Farm":11yasrkq said:
I've sold several on craigslist, and bought some too. I try to post fair prices, most people want to ask 2x times what they are worth because they "aren't sale barn cattle".
Exactly, and that's why I've never bought any, most everyone thinks that not being at a sale ads value. I've seen a few deals that looked good, but there always sold by the time I call.

We have used craigslist and will do it again. We have a small herd of registered purebreds, not a big enough outfit or game changing enough genetics to do most of the traditional seedstock marketing. But there is more value in them than we would get at the sale barn, plus there isn't one close enough to be convenient anyway. So some photo's and a listing brings us customers. It isn't too hard to sort out the granola group - the flakes, nuts and fruits - from the legit interest. A few minutes of conversation and they give themselves away. Had one older fella come out and look, he wasn't buying anything, he just liked looking at cattle and seemed lonesome. Oh well, it was only an hour out of the day.

Latest posts