Craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

My question does he come with a ladder or foot stool to reach those cows ?
IMG_20120619_141659.jpg
I had to dig a hole with my skidsteer for the sow to stand in so a new young Reg. Hereford boar could breed my Polly Girl!! He wasn't gonna give up but he wasn't getting close.

View attachment 40124
I had to dig a hole with my skidsteer for the sow to stand in so a new young Reg. Hereford boar could breed my Polly Girl!! He wasn't gonna give up but he wasn't getting close.
I've seen some huge boars... but I do believe that's the largest sow I've ever seen.

Duroc's tend to get real big. We had a boar that we used several times that belonged to a friend. The last time we borrowed him, owner said when we got done to take him to the market, he was getting too big. We called him George, super disposition, and he topped the scales at 902 lbs I think. I cried when he went because he did the job, never caused any problems, his pigs were all great dispositioned... and back then he brought like $.10 lb....

My biggest ever boar weighed 1023lbs. That was at the slaughterhouse. They shot him and immediately hung him on their scale. I had him castrated almost 6 months prior. 1 testicle weighed 19lbs, the other was 23lbs. He was a true gentle giant. Hated getting rid of him.
Why would you keep a boar that huge? Was he so unusual that he was not easily replaced?

Actually, yes. He was registered Duroc. In my area, there aren't many pigs, and what are here, they're just mixed breeds. I usually have to get them hauled here from hundreds of miles away. So, for me, I keep them as long as possible. He was just fine breeding my older sows. I had to get rid of him because he quit breeding (it wasn't for lack of trying).

The one I had, was a good breeder... gentle easy going on the sows. The biggest sow I had was over 600 when she got killed... but any 3-400 lb sow could handle the big boar because the weight is mostly just on the hind end and not for that long a period. If the sows had a minimum of 8 pigs, they paid for themselves, back then. Most of mine had 10-14 a litter. No crates... I kept sows that were careful mothers and had maybe 1-2 laid on pigs a year... mostly from 2 wanting the same place to farrow. At one time I had 12 sows....out on pasture and had several huts for them to farrow in, and in winter had a section of the barn that got divided when they were due and for a week or 2 kept them separate; and farrowed all months except June/early July, or in November... as feeder markets were not good in August or January. Feeder pig markets were of course best in Mar/Apr/May...

Someone better grab em before they're gone. Won't last long at this bargain price.
My neighbor has been getting $3000 to $8000 on every single calf. Steers, bulls, and heifers. They run them through their online auction site. Absolutely blows me away. They have 25 to 30 a year. They also buy registered highland cows at a good discount, graze and get them bred to their bulls, then sell for stupid money. Quite a hustle they've found for themselves.

They've got a transport guy that only deals with Highlands. Big big big money's evidently.

Last edited:
The one I had, was a good breeder... gentle easy going on the sows. The biggest sow I had was over 600 when she got killed... but any 3-400 lb sow could handle the big boar because the weight is mostly just on the hind end and not for that long a period. If the sows had a minimum of 8 pigs, they paid for themselves, back then. Most of mine had 10-14 a litter. No crates... I kept sows that were careful mothers and had maybe 1-2 laid on pigs a year... mostly from 2 wanting the same place to farrow. At one time I had 12 sows....out on pasture and had several huts for them to farrow in, and in winter had a section of the barn that got divided when they were due and for a week or 2 kept them separate; and farrowed all months except June/early July, or in November... as feeder markets were not good in August or January. Feeder pig markets were of course best in Mar/Apr/May...
My wife was getting $300-350 for 6 week old registered Hereford piglets, they sold to Utah, Colorado, Montana, Oregon and California. It was a pretty good gig for 6 years. She had adds with the cute neighbor kids, she's a marketing genius.

I'm as likely to make fun of a guy driving an overly expensive truck and pulling a trailer that cost as much as a house... when he's a hobby farmer.
He dos that because he can and is a hobby farmer. There's nothing in his business plan about making money and to him, his truck isn't overly expensive, he likes it

I'm as likely to make fun of a guy driving an overly expensive truck and pulling a trailer that cost as much as a house... when he's a hobby farmer.
24 years ago we had a colt we raised with a cutting trainer. We did ok with him, Got our entry fees back plus some. Sold enough stud fees to pay for the training. Gelded him when I got tired of dealing with a dam studhorse.
We were leading all the horses he was riding to the stable at a show we were at… walking by a long nose Pete with an 8 or 10 horse living quarters trailer, painted to the nines and the setting sun shining on the polished chrome hurt your eyes. I remarked it was a pretty fancy rig. Denton's reply was that I wouldn't put my chickens in the house the owner lived in.
The next year I showed the horse myself at a few local cuttings. My truck and trailer weren't much for fancy. At breakfast one morning another 'high class" cutter made comment about my rig. I said it was paid for, was his? Brought the house down and ended the conversation.