coyote kill

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":34s1ee10 said:
Caustic Burno":34s1ee10 said:
Coyotes are total opportunist they are cowards as well .
Nowhere close to a dog, that will take on something where they are going to loose.
Your neighbors dogs kill way more livestock that the yote gets blamed for.
He just happened by and found a free dinner the dogs killed for fun.
I figured you'll chime in and talking about the dogs kill more livestock than coyotes story. However we shouldn't underestimating these wily coyotes as they're intelligent predators. It is not uncommon to lost newborn calves to them if the momma cows stashed their unattended calves in the bushes. Sounds like the heifer got there too late to protect her calf during the attack.

Actually it is very uncommon for coyotes to take on larger prey that is not in a distressed state.
They are as much a scavenger as predator and prefer smaller mammals.
The coyote is probably the most extensively studied carnivore, and considerable research has been conducted on the species' population dynamics by TAMU.
If you learn to read sign at the kill sight then you don't just have to assume.
Dog tracks and Coyote are not the same and neither is the kill method.

Caustic Burno":2pen18ia said:
Muddy":2pen18ia said:
Caustic Burno":2pen18ia said:
Coyotes are total opportunist they are cowards as well .
Nowhere close to a dog, that will take on something where they are going to loose.
Your neighbors dogs kill way more livestock that the yote gets blamed for.
He just happened by and found a free dinner the dogs killed for fun.
I figured you'll chime in and talking about the dogs kill more livestock than coyotes story. However we shouldn't underestimating these wily coyotes as they're intelligent predators. It is not uncommon to lost newborn calves to them if the momma cows stashed their unattended calves in the bushes. Sounds like the heifer got there too late to protect her calf during the attack.

Actually it is very uncommon for coyotes to take on larger prey that is not in a distressed state.
They are as much a scavenger as predator and prefer smaller mammals.
The coyote is probably the most extensively studied carnivore, and considerable research has been conducted on the species' population dynamics by TAMU.
If you learn to read sign at the kill sight then you don't just have to assume.
Dog tracks and Coyote are not the same and neither is the kill method.
Actually its very common for coyotes take on larger prey here and Eastern coyotes are better adapted at hunting larger prey than Western coyotes. Coyotes killing adult deer, pronghorns and young bison/elk is well documented. Newborn calves are practically defenseless against coyotes and coyotes didn't have any problems with taking a calf/fawn away from overprotective mommas of any species. Recent studies of coyotes attacking on feral hogs, especially the group with piglets became frequently.

Before you jumped on me, the calf in this case is just 3 days old calf already vulnerable to any predators anyways.

A few years back I had a calf born right about dark one evening. I was out there at first light the next morning. There was a single coyote trying his best to get to that calf. The cow was keeping him run off but he sure wasn't giving up. I ran back to the house and got a gun. He became a good coyote. Had there been two or more coyotes I believe they would have got that calf. Because while the cow was chasing off one the others would have got to the calf.

Muddy":240w4aju said:
Actually its very common for coyotes take on larger prey here and Eastern coyotes are better adapted at hunting larger prey than Western coyotes. Coyotes killing adult deer, pronghorns and young bison/elk is well documented. Newborn calves are practically defenseless against coyotes and coyotes didn't have any problems with taking a calf/fawn away from overprotective mommas of any species. Recent studies of coyotes attacking on feral hogs, especially the group with piglets became frequently.

I'd be interested to see the documentation. Coyotes weigh 30-40 lbs and as a general rule don't hunt in packs. I have a hard time believing they are much of a threat to full grown deer, much less elk/bison. My hunting buddies and I argue about it all the time, so if you know of documentation I'd love to read it.

SJB":3n22ejzn said:
Muddy":3n22ejzn said:

I'd be interested to see the documentation. Coyotes weigh 30-40 lbs and as a general rule don't hunt in packs. I have a hard time believing they are much of a threat to full grown deer, much less elk/bison. My hunting buddies and I argue about it all the time, so if you know of documentation I'd love to read it.
Young bison/elk, not fully grown ones.

Caustic Burno":3bky61tu said:
wacocowboy":3bky61tu said:
caller, red light, and 12g 00 buck works great.

Green light works great as well, Stream lite game spotter on a the rail and the fun begins.

Never used a green light. May have to try it.

Does anyone hang them on the fence? I have always been hesitant to touch them do to rabies and crap.

Skip the snares and baits, you kill the family dog and it will be hell to pay. I speak from experience. Calls and a gun are the safest ways. Never had much of a yote problem when I had my F1 Brafords and F1 Brangus cattle , they kept all cats dogs, and coons on the run at all times , and yes even people if they didn't know you.
Now with no cattle I have yotes at the fence on a regular basis

Had 2 coyotes trying to drag a day old calf under the barbed wire a few years back. The cows and calves lay next to a creek bottom in the shade with their backs towards a thicket on a fence row. My neighbor was wiring up a floodlight on the front of my barn and he and I heard the cows balling. We ran around the corner and saw the two coyotes trying to drag the calf by its back legs and tail under the fence. The cows were trying to help, but the coyotes were smart enough to stay on the "safe" side of the fence. We got within about 20 yards of the incident before they ran off and let go of the calf. A good coyote is a dead one in my book!

I got a call one day about a coyote incident from a local. They said that a sheriff deputy had just shot one stuck in the fence. Since I was on my way home I stopped to see the event. The yote had climbed the fence and once going over the fence had hung a leg in it as it went over on the first side (I've seen a deer get in the same predicament) and was hanging dead from the gunshot from a female sheriff deputy. She was about half way tore up about it and apologized profusely for having to do it. I asked her if she knew why the coyote was climbing the fence. Of course she replied no. I thanked her and told her that it was because it was looking to eat something on the other side.

I'm not sure it helped her much at the moment.

Saw a pack south of our house this spring. I counted 8 of them all together. They were moving in and taking over another smaller packs area. Saw 3 of them running off this one. Over 300 yards out so no way to get a good shot. The one they ran off came to within 100 yards of my patio door and became a good coyote. Made a couple calls and the hunters came out and made their pack numbers smaller.

Latest posts