Don't Kill Horseflies

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
At the beginning of the horsefly season, I killed every horsefly I could by every means available. That was working well until this week. I noticed Monday that the horseflies had evolved into kamikaze horseflies. They would land on my cow and when you disturbed them, they would buzz off, fly to extreme altitude, and then dive down and crash themselves into the backs of my cows. I was startled by this new development. Wednesday at noon, I was headed to the local restaurant, The Ole Barn, to eat when I saw a dark object in the sky coming out of the north. At first, I thought it was Bez coming to drop a bomb on my farm. Then, I saw that it was a vicious formation of horseflies. They dived down and grabbed one of my calves. I fired a Ground to Air missile at them, they broke off and dropped the calf. The calf was not hurt.

Here is my theory: Just like good coyotes and bad coyotes. If you kill the good horseflies, that will open a niche that will be filled by the bad horseflies. The good horseflies are descendants of the horseflies that your cows gave blood to the season before. Thus, they are somewhat thankful and show that gratitude by not being too nasty. If you kill the native horseflies, bad horseflies that show no regard for your cattle will replace them. I don't know where they come from, but they come.

inyati13":38dy6p6a said:
Nesikep":38dy6p6a said:
I kill about 4 horseflies a year... I see about 4 horseflies a year too... it works well for me :)

Nesi, I see more than that on one cow!

I've seen more than that on ME!
Cleaned my old truck up real good last week outside and in to drive to a funeral--must have been 2 dozen dead dried up ones on the dash where the windshield meets the plastic--near the defrost vents.

Nesikep":2akhrkga said:
Sky ought to get more flies so he doesn't have horses! :hide:

Some things just never get old *snicker*

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ron, I was spraying my cattle today with permetherin and some liquid seven to help with the flies and it was huge horseflies on them and I blasted them with a straight jet stream of it and they sat there like I was spraying them with water maybe they will die later.

We have some Zumak bushes (little shrub that turns RED in the fall, pretty ornamental native to here), and they were *covered* in grasshoppers.. I doused the bushes with Absorbine, no more grasshoppers there anymore.. they probably don't like the citronella much

inyati13":f8r9enf8 said:
Nesikep":f8r9enf8 said:
I kill about 4 horseflies a year... I see about 4 horseflies a year too... it works well for me :)

Kill the things. They'll cross with your honey bees and your honey will taste like horseshyt. :mrgreen:

This reminded me of a story my father-in-law told of fighting a horde of grasshoppers back in the day. They had to load tanks of water to take to the field with insecticide and it did absolutely nothing to the hoppers. They worked all day and were worn out. That's when he threw in the towel and said the hoppers could carry their own damned water.

TexasBred":1umht4iq said:
inyati13":1umht4iq said:
Nesikep":1umht4iq said:

Kill the things. They'll cross with your honey bees and your honey will taste like horseshyt. :mrgreen:

That is a good one. LMAO. :lol:

Green Creek":3dutjszr said:
This reminded me of a story my father-in-law told of fighting a horde of grasshoppers back in the day. They had to load tanks of water to take to the field with insecticide and it did absolutely nothing to the hoppers. They worked all day and were worn out. That's when he threw in the towel and said the hoppers could carry their own damned water.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts