coyote kill

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Lost my first calf ever to coyotes. It was a 3 day old bull calf out of a heifer. A pack of coyotes started going crazy about 2am about 150 yards from the house. My dogs were going insane barking and growling but are in a fenced in yard. I could hear the heifer bawling and carrying on. I grabbed my pants, boots, flashlight and gun but by the time I found the calf it was dead and tore to pieces. Momma was bloodied on the face some and really stressed. I am declaring war on the coyote species. I have left them alone for the last two years but this calls for action. :mad:

There's good coyotes and bad coyotes. But dead ones are the best ones.

Time for a lot of snares and traps. They work 24/7. Snares use a 10 inch loop 10 inches off the ground. One of the best ways is find a small clearing. Place a dead elephant (big piece of dead meat) in the middle of the clearing. Set a snare in every single trail leading into the clearing. You rarely catch a coyote on its way in but once its belly is full...... they just stumble right into the snares. For traps use a standard dirt hole set. Set a #3 trap about 8 inches from the lip of the hole and a couple inches to one side. Don't use rotten bait but slightly tainted. They tend to roll on rotten bait. If you have sprung traps with a little bit of long hair in it. That is because they were rolling on your bait.

HOSS":3r9nz5oa said:
Lost my first calf ever to coyotes. It was a 3 day old bull calf out of a heifer. A pack of coyotes started going crazy about 2am about 150 yards from the house. My dogs were going insane barking and growling but are in a fenced in yard. I could hear the heifer bawling and carrying on. I grabbed my pants, boots, flashlight and gun but by the time I found the calf it was dead and tore to pieces. Momma was bloodied on the face some and really stressed. I am declaring war on the coyote species. I have left them alone for the last two years but this calls for action. :mad:

Coyotes are the most aggressive this time of year here.
They have a pack of 3/4 grown pups running with them to feed.
I have no known proof of this I have theorized through the years the pups take chances
that the adults wont normally. One or two start and the rest jump in like a pack of dogs killing.

Bez is going to have to straighten you out on coyotes killing cattle.
"It was most likely the calf was already dead, and the coyotes were just doing their job..."

Fur value is zero this time of year, I wouldn't waste time skinning. The value is knowing they won't be killing any more calves.

sim.-ang.king":3bhcueok said:
"It was most likely the calf was already dead, and the coyotes were just doing their job..."
This is a very good point to consider.

branguscowgirl":1vnidz3k said:
sim.-ang.king":1vnidz3k said:
This is a very good point to consider.
Perhaps, but then again these coyotes have killed adult deer and I knew few ranchers have lost their heifers to the coyotes during calving season.

Coyotes are total opportunist they are cowards as well .
Nowhere close to a dog, that will take on something where they are going to loose.
Your neighbors dogs kill way more livestock that the yote gets blamed for.
He just happened by and found a free dinner the dogs killed for fun.

Caustic Burno":chw3gumj said:
Coyotes are total opportunist they are cowards as well .
Nowhere close to a dog, that will take on something where they are going to loose.
Your neighbors dogs kill way more livestock that the yote gets blamed for.
He just happened by and found a free dinner the dogs killed for fun.
I figured you'll chime in and talking about the dogs kill more livestock than coyotes story. However we shouldn't underestimating these wily coyotes as they're intelligent predators. It is not uncommon to lost newborn calves to them if the momma cows stashed their unattended calves in the bushes. Sounds like the heifer got there too late to protect her calf during the attack.

I agree that dogs kill more calves than coyotes no doubt. In this case I know for sure it was coyotes. Calf was perfectly healthy. I saw it at the water trough with it's momma 30 yards from my house at about 10 pm and it followed her into the wooded strip near where it was killed. When I was awaken by the coyotes they were in full attack mode. I have witnessed the unmistakable sounds before but on a wounded deer. By the time I got my jeans, boots, gun and flashlight it was over. Heifer was still standing over it panting heavily and blood running from bite marks around her nose and some hair tugged off of her back leg. The area around the calf was all torn up where she had put up a fight.

Alot of people talk about me being blood thirsty because I kill every predator I see whether its a "good" predator or "bad" predator I will never know... However, People pay me to come clean up there property after the predators cause grief to them but before they have issues they say let them live its nature. I say kill em all

Latest posts