Kill Dates

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley86

DBH Farm
Reaction score
We have found a good processor thankfully who likes working with us evidently. Thank God.

Just got 20 appointments for next fall into winter.

My uncle called around couple days ago and could only get appointments for 2022.

Did 2 beefs last year, 10 this year, and could sell more but dont have the slots, so doing 20 next year.

Anyone on here run a custom slaughterhouse? We've been kicking around the idea of starting one.

How rough are the regulations and such. Our biggest concern is waste/runoff. Does someone come pump it into a truck and take it away? Or what's the deal there.

Saw one place had it plumbed into 50 gallon drums outside their building. Not something that helps their operation in my opinion. Was nasty. Has to hurt their public perception.

Right now youd think it should be a winning business venture if all I's are dotted and T's crossed. Each community needs one or 2 IMO.

Any thoughts?

Regulations will very state to state. Talk to your state Ag department they should be able to answer your questions.

I will have one ready before long. Real nice calf, but got injured. Will bring next to nothing on a sale barn auction. You get up and running I am interested. I am about a 40 minute drive from you. Wife is from Treadway.

jltrent said:
I will have one ready before long. Real nice calf, but got injured. Will bring next to nothing on a sale barn auction. You get up and running I am interested. I am about a 40 minute drive from you. Wife is from Treadway.

Just got told that Hammond's near Pennington Gap is opening back up soon and are booking now. I'm gonna call in the morning.

kenny thomas said:
jltrent said:

Just got told that Hammond's near Pennington Gap is opening back up soon and are booking now. I'm gonna call in the morning.
Good info.

ClinchValley86 said:
We have found a good processor thankfully who likes working with us evidently. Thank God.

Just got 20 appointments for next fall into winter.

My uncle called around couple days ago and could only get appointments for 2022.

Did 2 beefs last year, 10 this year, and could sell more but dont have the slots, so doing 20 next year.

Anyone on here run a custom slaughterhouse? We've been kicking around the idea of starting one.

How rough are the regulations and such. Our biggest concern is waste/runoff. Does someone come pump it into a truck and take it away? Or what's the deal there.

Saw one place had it plumbed into 50 gallon drums outside their building. Not something that helps their operation in my opinion. Was nasty. Has to hurt their public perception.

Right now youd think it should be a winning business venture if all I's are dotted and T's crossed. Each community needs one or 2 IMO.

Any thoughts?

To answer your question about runoff, yes there is a service that comes and hauls it away along with entrails ect. I talked to my guy about it not long ago because I asked. I think part of this along with scraps go to dog food.

I know you are close to me, but I am not sure how far away. I do believe we need more slaughter houses and I don't think that even after this pandemic is over, that will change.

Latest posts