Cows in the grain - suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411":3rt1aw2c said:
Vicky - could you elaborate on what you mean by the bottom of their rumen burned off? So are you saying that they actually have a hole in thie stomach that can't be repaired? Where is the line drawn, how much grain is too much?
They have lost the ventral 1/3 of the lining of the rumen, as a general rule. Thus, there is no possibility of repair. On the side, they have very sweet meat...from the toxicity!

Well guess what? good news. That cow that was down, was up and walking this afternoon. :D We're keeping our fingers crossed, but she looks OK. Eyes still a little sunken, I'm guessing dehydrated(?) but otherwise ears up and acting fine. Hopefully she's still good tomorrow...will keep ya'll posted. Thanks again. ;-)

I know you just work there and don't have any money invested in the dairy, Milkmaid; but since this has happened TWICE now your boss would be well served to replace the grain shed with grain bins.

Two separate "sheds". One he had a heifer get into last fall; I don't know HOW. The other is a shed/barn/whatever-you-call-it. That's the one the cows got into Tuesday. Has about 30 tons of grain in it at the moment, and that prolly takes up 40% of floor space. So it's big. (For those of you who know what I'm talking about, it's along the same idea as a potato cellar.) He's already come to the same conclusion you did, Brandon, that he can't have this happen again. I believe he's putting doors on the one shed...and as the gates not being latched securely and cows getting out was the fault of one of the (his) kids, I heard they had a discussion about that one. I'm sure his kids will be checking every gate they go through in the future at least twice to make sure it's chained securely. LOL.

milkmaid":17wxbta0 said:
...and as the gates not being latched securely and cows getting out was the fault of one of the (his) kids, I heard they had a discussion about that one.

He is a nicer person than me if all they had was a "discussion". I never had any children, but I am afraid if they killed a few cows (and cost me the milk income) out of stupidity the "discussion" would come closer to actual "assault and battery".

Brandonm2":2hcd1hmi said:
milkmaid":2hcd1hmi said:
...and as the gates not being latched securely and cows getting out was the fault of one of the (his) kids, I heard they had a discussion about that one.

He is a nicer person than me if all they had was a "discussion". I never had any children, but I am afraid if they killed a few cows (and cost me the milk income) out of stupidity the "discussion" would come closer to actual "assault and battery".

LOL. He's a good guy. :nod: ;-)

Cow in question was looking even better today. Alert, eyes bright and clear, came through the milking barn; and as she's 220 days she's ready to dry, so I did that. Dry-treated her and one other cow. I certainly like it when they defy the rules and half-dead cows "come back to life". :lol: :D

Okay.........Once again coming into this post on the late side.....I can say been there done that.....as did a good friend.......on my end, cow into the feed room, and on my friends side, overfeeding too much bread, both with the same results.........

Vet here explained it just like Vicki ( Thanks for being here with us!) acid does burn the rumens up, but our vet also added that cows that suffer from such ills, will also experience drunkeness for up to several days (if they survive) as the carbs they have ingested actually do convert to an internal alcohol type brew that is not expelled as under normal conditions, and that in itself can become dangerous to the cow, and those around it.

He did a necropsy in front of us, and after tossing my cookies from the over whelming noxious odor when she was opened up, it smelled of a sickening sweet distillery or brewery to the max.

Hope things continue to look up for the survivors.

Love that fact that you care so much MM! :cboy:

Latest posts