Putting weight back on thin cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I have no clue. But back when there was a Hostess Outlet in town and I'd buy racks of the week old bred, bagels, etc., which would occasionally include chocolate chip muffins, chocolate cupcakes, Zingers . . . I asked my vet if it would be okay to feed them to the cows since I knew chocolate was toxic to dogs. Clearly, these products weren't pure chocolate and cows aren't dogs, but he said it's probably best if I didn't. He didn't have a definitive reason why, but better safe than sorry. As for chocolate milk? Personally, I wouldn't and see no benefit.
Use to own a shorthorn bull with a fellow breeder who lived in Knoxville Tn . He had access to old or crumbled chocolate chip cookies . He ground his own feed , hay , corn and those cookies . My dad and I bought a ton from him and fed out some steers . It smelled good enough to eat yourself ! It took a few days for the calves to start eating it but when they did they loved it !

Use to own a shorthorn bull with a fellow breeder who lived in Knoxville Tn . He had access to old or crumbled chocolate chip cookies . He ground his own feed , hay , corn and those cookies . My dad and I bought a ton from him and fed out some steers . It smelled good enough to eat yourself ! It took a few days for the calves to start eating it but when they did they loved it !
We fed lots of cookies a d candy until a couple years ago and the state or someone made the company's quit letting the feed mills have loads of it. I think they have to pay to landfill it now.

We fed lots of cookies a d candy until a couple years ago and the state or someone made the company's quit letting the feed mills have loads of it. I think they have to pay to landfill it now.
I have a weakness for chocolate and those chocolate chip cookies 🍪 looked good ! 😍

use to get a calf pellet made partially with cookies, didn't take them long to start on them.

Brock candy company in Chattanooga use to see their candies like that .

I knew a guy who got ground up bakery waste by the semi load out of Portland. He fed it free choice. Made the cattle too fat. But it was cheap.

Is that the coloring of your bull or he's bull of mud??
That's his coloring, first Registered Hereford I've seen like that but I like it. Probably something else in the woodpile somewhere but doesn't matter to me. I bought him from a hereford breeder, he'd saved alot of heifers from him so needed to move him.

Hmmm - I would guess Shorthorn. I am quite surprised he could be registered??
I "assume" you don't register any calves - which means he has not been DNA tested. All registered Hereford bulls must be DNA tested before progeny can be registered.

Hmmm - I would guess Shorthorn. I am quite surprised he could be registered??
I "assume" you don't register any calves - which means he has not been DNA tested. All registered Hereford bulls must be DNA tested before progeny can be registered.
I do not, but the guy I bought him from I assume does because he sells bulls and he had him several years and he is registered.

I do not, but the guy I bought him from I assume does because he sells bulls and he had him several years and he is registered.
Some bloodlines have this trait. This breeder has a few on their website with similar markings.

Latest posts