Squeeze chute suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow! I'd be all over that.

@wbvs58 do you think this one would be compatible with yours? Or would shipping negate the savings?
I'm sure it would be TC as it just clamps to the rails. Arrowquip is an Australian company that has now expanded globally so all the Arrowquip products are available locally. The design of their crush is basically similar to what most in Australia are but they have done a lot of work refining things so that every thing works as it is supposed to do with minimal effort and they keep looking for improvement. They are to be congratulated how they have taken their product to the world, one of the few manufacturing success stories from Australia these days.

Ken

Is your box open sided or covered?
Totally open. Once all the cows & calves are separated, gates can swing in/out to corral small groups, but the aforementioned kids just get in there and push a group of 3-4 at a time along the corral and directly into the alley. 1671749675723.jpeg

My experience is I can't get gentle cattle to work very well through a bud box. They have to want to go out the hole more than hang out with the person working the box. Some of mine don't and that is the hitch. I built a tub and it works well.

I agree with you on the bid box. When we put in the new Arrow chute we built new alleyways out of steel to include a 30ft adjustable alley leading up to the chute. We also, did a sorting alley with bud box. Not a big fan, but works better than what we had at the time. Someday if I get extra $$$ and can figure out a way to incorporate the Arrow tub/bus box I will probably do it. Just don't want to rip out a bunch of steel and move the sorting alley to do it.

As for the calf bar, I think it's something that just came out in the last year maybe two. I thought about just making one until I called Arrow Quip to get a price. Cheaper to buy it versus building with the high cost of steel and welding supplies right now.
Here is the funny thing about the bud box. The one we built on the chute does not work well; in fact we put a steel cattle panel diagonally across the bud box, but you need to be quite fast with the gate so they don't come back out and we can only get three cows in it. We also built one going up to the loading chute, but that one works great. Never had any problems with it. The only difference is that the squeeze chute ally has solid sides so they can't see thru it. The loading chute bud box is narrower than the squeeze chut box, maybe that is the problem.

Bud box "concept" sounds like it would be awesome......until you get a cow that won't go out the hole. You have no way to MAKE her go. No thank you.
I will use a sweep.
That is why we put a stock panel diagonally across our bud box. It forces them to turn around, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the bud box. Besides at the time it was a lot cheaper to build a bud box. We even went as far as to line the box so they could only see down the alley, but that didn't seem to help either.

That is why we put a stock panel diagonally across our bud box. It forces them to turn around, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the bud box. Besides at the time it was a lot cheaper to build a bud box. We even went as far as to line the box so they could only see down the alley, but that didn't seem to help either.

We even went as far as to line the box so they could only see down the alley, but that didn't seem to help either.
This is my next step, to cover the sides. I'm hoping it works, but from the sounds of things it may not. I have though about hanging a gate to kinda squeeze the ones the won't down the hole. But doing that makes me think I might as well switch to a tub some day.

I like our bud box. I think you have to teach them to go past you to work well. Sometimes the first calf in the alley won't go all the way up because someone is at the chute, and the last calf can only get halfway in the alley. That is a pain. A swinging gate on the back of the alley would be nice.

Latest posts