Squeeze chute suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
So Im somewhat looking at manual squeeze chutes. I have an old thing that kinda gets the job done, but thinking I should maybe update. Would like something that has a portable option, automatic headgate, parallel squeeze. Hydraulic isn't an option. I realize brands will vary by region. Northern Nebraska is my location.

Pearson is an old brand common to the area. Still a good chute. Somewhat like foremost. I like pulling on the chain to squeeze. Probably don't get the torque that a lever style does. I normally don't squeeze much. I like the idea of the chain so that you don't need a hard hat. Real Tuff is a bran that seams to interest me. They from Mobridge SD I believe. Kinda wonder if Sioux and Hi Qual aren't made by Real Tuff. Without side by side, they look really similar. Hard to find that brand used. For my size of operation, I spose a cheaper quality one would do the job. Kinda hate to buy just a piece of junk to get by with. Dang inflation makes new out of my price range.

I have a Powder River. They moved the squeeze lever so it is parallel to the chute and it pops back up out of the way when you let go of it. There was an old Priefert with a self locking head gate here when I bought this place. My neighbors all celebrated when I hauled it off to an auction. I never used that chute as I brought my PR with me. My neighbors all have Powder River or Silencer hydraulic chutes.

The Arrowquip chutes are really nice. I should have bought one 3-4 years ago when they were half the price.

Instead, I put a new headgate on the old chute I purchased from my dad (the chute is >50 years old). The floor has been replaced 3 times in 50 years. But other than that it still works pretty well -- the new headgate gave the chute a new lease on life.

There have got to be some retirement sales happening with livestock chutes in NE. My uncle lives in southern SD and when he has a sale in a couple years there will be at least 4 cattle chutes on it.

Found these on the Grand Island CL page :https://grandisland.craigslist.org/grq/d/athens-new-cb-angus-auto-cattle-squeeze/7563301929.html -- although they appear to be from AL. There are a few others within a couple 100 miles of Chambers.

We hauled a Preifert chute all over southern middle TN working cattle for clients back in the 1980s. Worked OK... I didn't really like the 'one-sided' squeeze, but it was better than no squeeze. Hard to get that headgate closed on a big-necked bull.
Plus... you removed the dolly and got it out of the way, whereas with the ForeMost and an old WW I had, the trailer hitch was right there in front of the headgate, to trip over or f-up cows' feet as they exited the headgate.

Currently have a Stampede Steel chute and loved it, but no way I'd wanna be dragging that heavy sucker around and trying to set-up and move with any regularity.

I've never encountered an 'automatic' headgate that worked reliably enough for me to trust them.

I'm familiar with those. I think just made on a farm in battle creek Nebraska. I've thought about those. I wonder if palco out of Norfolk bought them out? If I remember correctly they look pretty similar, but all squeeze chutes look similar 🤷🏻‍♂️
They're pretty spendy, but the wheel kit is good and we can get it ready for transport in 10 minutes or less. Pulls really well -- 70 mph down the highway with it. We use it enough that spending the money was worth it. We have the LS-350 model and I think it weighs 3200 lbs. Easy to move around and heavy enough to not move much when working cows (log chain to the alley end post makes sure it doesn't keep sliding forward).

Those of you with Arrow chutes, have you used the calf/bull restrainer bar? I just purchased one to work some larger calves, but won't arrive til beginning of January. Just curious if works as published.

Those of you with Arrow chutes, have you used the calf/bull restrainer bar? I just purchased one to work some larger calves, but won't arrive til beginning of January. Just curious if works as published.

Sweet! No, I don't have one because my best friend is the official castrator when we're working cattle and she's game to just get in there (plus, my calves are generally super calm). But based on everything else with the Arrowquip, I don't doubt it will work as shown.

Thanks for posting the video. For everyone else, you can see what I was talking about, shutting the headgate from front or back - the handle just slides along that top rod.
1671580401876.jpeg

So Im somewhat looking at manual squeeze chutes. I have an old thing that kinda gets the job done, but thinking I should maybe update. Would like something that has a portable option, automatic headgate, parallel squeeze. Hydraulic isn't an option. I realize brands will vary by region. Northern Nebraska is my location.

Pearson is an old brand common to the area. Still a good chute. Somewhat like foremost. I like pulling on the chain to squeeze. Probably don't get the torque that a lever style does. I normally don't squeeze much. I like the idea of the chain so that you don't need a hard hat. Real Tuff is a bran that seams to interest me. They from Mobridge SD I believe. Kinda wonder if Sioux and Hi Qual aren't made by Real Tuff. Without side by side, they look really similar. Hard to find that brand used. For my size of operation, I spose a cheaper quality one would do the job. Kinda hate to buy just a piece of junk to get by with. Dang inflation makes new out of my price range.
I was in the same boat 8 years ago. We had an old filson manual headgate squeeze chute, and it was just too small, and floor needed replaced. I looked at about every manufacturer around. Arrowquip was by far my first choice, but also was overkill. We only have 25 cows or so. I ended up taking the old filson, widening the head gate opening to the more modern style where the pivots are wider at the bottom of the head gate. I raised the closing mechanism to handle larger animals better. I improved the function of the side opening gate, of course replaced the floor. But the best thing I did was i added a lever on the rear of the chute where I can close the head gate from the back or the front. The lever in the back folds down when I don't need it. To be honest, the improved chute has better features and user friendly ergonomics than most of the new chutes, and I saved several thousand dollars.

Latest posts