Buying a Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
I need to buy a squeeze chute, to make handling cattle safer, for the cows and ME.Don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want a good unit. Don't have a big operation, usually keep bout 20-25 head. Most of the time I work them by my self (I'm 65), so that is a consideration also. In our area, getting a Vet to the farm is getting tougher to do, having a chute to handle cattle could save some Vet fees.
Any Ideas and suggestion are welcome!
Thanks

Hook2.0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Tarter is sub par but might serve a purpose on a small scale.

I'd look at Preifert or a comparable brand.

These guys are down your way www.cbfarmoutdoors.com you might want to check the out.

He said 20-25 hd

I'm aware, that's why I'm recommending better built equipment.

I had a Tarter with the Salon Door Head Catch. It was here about a month until I traded it out for a Priefert SO4. The Priefert has the sliding guillotine head catch. Much safer for the animal.

Edited to add: dun disliked the salon door. He was a Priefert man.

I mostly work cattle by myself. I had an auto catch. Got rid of it. Too many malfunctions. Cows going in not far enough to lock the head gate. Backing out and opening it too wide so they escape. When I bought a new chute I got a manual head gate. For feeder size cattle just leave the head gate closed. Run them in and close the butt gate. Then step up and crack the head gate open. Or for shots, just squeeze and give the shots. For cows I leave the head gate open but not enough for them to fit through. They will try. A couple quick steps and I close the gate. I have a stop back mounted on the alley that doesn't allow them to get more than half way back out of the chute. That helps too.
There was a Preifert chute here when I move in. The neighbors all cussed it and were happy to see I brought a Powder River chute with me when I moved in. Sold the Preifert.
Regional service, availability, and preference is big I deciding on a chute. There is a big difference. But they all beat a fast horse and a long rope.

Bamadan said:
I need to buy a squeeze chute, to make handling cattle safer, for the cows and ME.Don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want a good unit. Don't have a big operation, usually keep bout 20-25 head. Most of the time I work them by my self (I'm 65), so that is a consideration also. In our area, getting a Vet to the farm is getting tougher to do, having a chute to handle cattle could save some Vet fees.
Thanks

I have the same scenario. I am 68. I operate entirely by myself. My baseline suggestion was made above - be sure you get a chute with the sliding guillotine type head catch so there is no chance of hip lock and so the cow cannot wedge into the salon doors which obstructs release.

Beyond that, you can use a lot of brands but the Priefert SO4 which is a grade up, has worked well here. I have had a couple misperformances with the autoheadcatch but no damage done.

Bright Raven said:
Bamadan said:
Thanks

I have the same scenario. I am 68. I operate entirely by myself. My baseline suggestion was made above - be sure you get a chute with the sliding guillotine type head catch so there is no chance of hip lock and so the cow cannot wedge into the salon doors which obstructs release.

Beyond that, you can use a lot of brands but the Priefert SO4 which is a grade up, has worked well here. I have had a couple misperformances with the autoheadcatch but no damage done.

I have never had that happen. And can't see any possible way a cow could ever get hip locked, calf possibly using a saloon door type of chute. If a cow gets by me it's my fault, not the chutes.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
Bamadan said:
Thanks

I have never had that happen. And can't see any possible way a cow could ever get hip locked, calf possibly using a saloon door type of chute. If a cow gets by me it's my fault, not the chutes.

My advice is to eliminate the possibility. Guillotine sliding doors, only way to go.

In a guillotine style, you can always open the head catch because the force is with you not against you. I did not use the saloon door that came with my Tarter for a long time. But the door can get into positions when the weight and bulk of the cow is engaged in a way that you cannot open the door. You can always open the guillotine door.

Bamadan said:
Thanks
I've looked at almost every brand the real tuff one is really nice and if I remember correctly there not to awful priced. Not sure what your budget is. Me personally I don't have a squeeze I like to struggle with headlock wagons.

Preifert S04 here. Work cattle by myself mostly, and the auto catch is nice. Biggest problem is if you have calm cows that just walk in the chute and stick there head out it won't trip.

Hook2.0 said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
We TG I have seen it happen. They sure are heck to get out when it does.

Not to turn this into a huge deal...Had that happen twice. Hasnt been an issue getting them out yet. The guillotine door type seems like it would choke one out quicker if it went down in the squeeze.
To each their own. Ill stick with whats been working

I have always used the automatic headgates, had a Filson chute for over 25 years, and now have a Formost chute. I figure it does make it easier since a lot times I will be treating one or two alone and in theory it can catch them if I get them in the chute. That being said have had a few head get through enough and then back up and open it wider then go through and get their hips caught. Not a good situation at all, but fortunately no serious repercussions as of yet. When I have help working cattle we have somebody working the gate manually.

I've used a bunch of different ones that I've owned as well as others that belonged to someone else. MY OPINION AND MY OPINION ONLY. Priefert makes the best HEADGATE for my liking. It's a one setting catches all. No adjustments necessary. I've had several get caught by the hips in saloon door type headgates. Sometimes it was my fault. Other times the locking mechanism malfunctioned slightly. Never done any serious damage. Have even wormed and tagged while they were caught by the hips, but it ain't easy. And sometimes it's dang hard to get them loose.

I have no obligation to, or alliance with, Priefert. I just like their Model 91 headgate best of all that I have used. FWIW, it can be fitted to any brand of chute.

Latest posts