Squeeze chute suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Sweet! No, I don't have one because my best friend is the official castrator when we're working cattle and she's game to just get in there (plus, my calves are generally super calm). But based on everything else with the Arrowquip, I don't doubt it will work as shown.

Thanks for posting the video. For everyone else, you can see what I was talking about, shutting the headgate from front or back - the handle just slides along that top rod.
View attachment 23977
Oh yeah, seen way to many from that angle. Glad she's game, getting harder and harder to find good help and those willing to get in and get dirty.

Is she cutting or banding? I like the little cowboy standing in the back of the chute, keeping a close eye that the jobs done right.🙂

I am another vote for arrowquip. We bought one a few years ago to replace a hiqual and don't regret it at all. Can work cows/calves single person if needed. We hesitated due to the price as our chute was still in working condition but it's every bit worth it in our opinion. Every time we work cattle with other chutes we appreciate ours even more. Would love to change out the hiqual alley, tub etc for arrowquip but for now it is fine for the cost. Can't justify that expense. We even run goats and sheep through it sometimes and it works great. Holds them for weighing, doctoring etc. We have weight bars under our arrowquip.

Those of you with Arrow chutes, have you used the calf/bull restrainer bar? I just purchased one to work some larger calves, but won't arrive til beginning of January. Just curious if works as published.

Looks like it would be handy, I might look into fabricating one for my new crush.

Ken

Oh yeah, seen way to many from that angle. Glad she's game, getting harder and harder to find good help and those willing to get in and get dirty.

Is she cutting or banding? I like the little cowboy standing in the back of the chute, keeping a close eye that the jobs done right.🙂
Banding with the big Tri-bander.

Another one of the little cowboys:
1671625480716.jpeg

We have a Cattleac hydraulic chute at one set of corrals. Then an old Powder River manual chute close to the house. No one is sure about age but it has been around for years. I replaced the floor, checked all bolts and lubricated it a few years ago. I use it the most. Saved a lot of money by using it. They were well made chutes.

Couple years ago I thought a used $2500 chute would have done. I finally got one recently. We went with a new Arrowquip 74. I figured I needed something to make it easy on my wife while working cattle to keep her spirits up. We have run several through already, and we really like it. My wife has used several chutes. She really likes the Arrowquip. I wanted to be able to work by myself, which I have a few times. It's easy to do with the head gate lever on the back side.

I figure the high price tag isn't as bad since they don't seem to depreciate much.

Real-Tuff is a good company with quality products. We had their tub, alley and chute and were well pleased with all of it.
I suggest you call and talk to them. They will be very helpful.

Is he learning AI or pregnant checking?
Preg checking. He and his twin brother are now 15 and have already taken classes (not sure if it was at the Graham School or through K-State). Instead of fancy toys & gadgets, they usually get another cow to add to their own herd for Christmas & Birthdays - and also to supplement their college fund with subsequent sales. Although this year, they decided they wanted goats. Good parents raising good kids!!

We bought Arrowquip chute along with the easyflow alley, and built a budbox, but the budbox just does not seem to work well for us. I would like to upgrade to the Arrowquip crowding tub, maybe one of these days. The calf restraining bar was not available when we bought ours, had it been I would probably bought it. The head holder, and sternum bar is something I am glad we bought, well worth the cost.

Ya, that's something I go back and forth on. I love the bud box concept. With my present facility design, the box would be easier to implement vs a tub. Your help has to understand how to work a box. Then if you have a mean old rip, you're kinda screwed. I think half the battle with a box or tub is not to pack it to full. A tub might have a little bit less capacity, but anyone can run anything through it. IDK, going to have to make a decision sometime.

So no comments, good or bad about Sioux or foremost?
We looked at both, I just didn't like how they operated. I was told by someone that the Sioux Steel was the same as the Real Tuff, but without putting eyes on in I really can't say for sure.

Banding with the big Tri-bander.

Another one of the little cowboys:
View attachment 23984
Heck ya, you've got the whole crew trained right.👍 I wish more youth would get involved. I suppose the cost of things now days is really going to slow done the younger folks from venturing into the cattle, business, unless they have a way in through family.

Heck ya, you've got the whole crew trained right.👍 I wish more youth would get involved. I suppose the cost of things now days is really going to slow done the younger folks from venturing into the cattle, business, unless they have a way in through family.
All these kids (4 total) have been coming with their dads to help work my herd for years and I've loved watching them grow up, take more responsibility and embrace what is fortunately a way of life for them. One of the twins is now even getting into bronc riding (he's good!) and while they're very involved with school activities, ranching is their passion. For now, and all subject to change. But they do have generations of family that back them.

When I bought the Arrow chute I also built a bud box. However, I'm just not sold on it. I have also speculated on changing it out for Arrow's crowding tub, maybe one of these days.
As for the calf restraining bar, it wasn't available when we bought ours chute either had it been I would probably bought it. The head holder, and sternum bar is something I am glad we bought, well worth the cost.

We bought Arrowquip chute along with the easyflow alley, and built a budbox, but the budbox just does not seem to work well for us. I would like to upgrade to the Arrowquip crowding tub, maybe one of these days. The calf restraining bar was not available when we bought ours, had it been I would probably bought it. The head holder, and sternum bar is something I am glad we bought, well worth the cost.
I agree with you on the bid box. When we put in the new Arrow chute we built new alleyways out of steel to include a 30ft adjustable alley leading up to the chute. We also, did a sorting alley with bud box. Not a big fan, but works better than what we had at the time. Someday if I get extra $$$ and can figure out a way to incorporate the Arrow tub/bus box I will probably do it. Just don't want to rip out a bunch of steel and move the sorting alley to do it.

As for the calf bar, I think it's something that just came out in the last year maybe two. I thought about just making one until I called Arrow Quip to get a price. Cheaper to buy it versus building with the high cost of steel and welding supplies right now.

I don't know why the cows don't like it, as mine a pretty calm. I normally cull them if their high headed or aggressive. Some cows will flow right through and other see the opening and just won't go. I thought after 3 or 4 times through the system they'd stop balking at it. I'm going to try covering up all the sides and see if that helps. Currently only the rear gate is covered. Is your box open sided or covered?

Latest posts