Madigan Squeeze Technique for Dummy Calves and Foals

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Don't think I've ever heard of this prior to today. Apparently it will work with certain calves and foals if tried early enough.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/-oxGVrRzCYI[/youtube]

I'm pretty sure they just killed the first foal and got another one for the second part of the video

bird dog":2oftz3sn said:
What are they trying to accomplish?

Sorry, I thought I was the last to know about this. The article I read was basically resetting a dumb foal. They were stating the foal was either not in the birth canal long enough or didn't get the required squeeze they should have gotten while in there. Other applications to its use is medical procedures and such. They specifically spoke of a foal not getting on its feet and/or suckling. Supposedly, lots of non-suckling foals will start sucking after this technique is used. It spoke that calves will also react to this technique. I wish I have saved the link I read, but there are several if you Goggle it.

Strange. I have only had a couple of dumb calves and was always told it was because they had a hard birth or stayed IN the birth canal to long. Interesting either way and surely would be worth trying.

ain't no way none of my calves will hold like that unless its a bottle baby.

i grab em flip um upside down and lay a leg over a back leg.

Maybe not for 'resetting them' but I don't really buy that either. You can cast a cow with a rope though, similar to what they are showing, just different placement. Not sure who ever figured it out, but I use it once and a while on full sized cows.

I've used similar for casting a cow.. if you don't get them somewhat by surprise you can be in for a rodeo once they figure it out.. Might try it on a dumb calf sometime

Glad you appreciated them Slick. At first glance it seems like some kinda of BS voodoo but scientific documentation indicates it can be life saving. I know a top notch equine DVM in Australia who employs it and has saved countless foals who otherwise would have perished.
The supposed link to autism is intriguing.
FYI...Brilliantly successful autistic Temple Grandin discovered early on in her life that she greatly benefited from spending time in her self made "squeeze" box".
Likewise...the savvy stockman gently catches & squeezes his stock.

Latest posts