Buying a Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

No problem! The various divisions of "our" operation all started as one, and have always been managed as parts of a whole, so I refer to what is still going in inclusive terms....

Boot Jack Bulls said:
No problem! The various divisions of "our" operation all started as one, and have always been managed as parts of a whole, so I refer to what is still going in inclusive terms....

A family operation. Nice!

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
Bamadan said:
I need to buy a squeeze chute, to make handling cattle safer, for the cows and ME.Don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want a good unit. Don't have a big operation, usually keep bout 20-25 head. Most of the time I work them by my self (I'm 65), so that is a consideration also. In our area, getting a Vet to the farm is getting tougher to do, having a chute to handle cattle could save some Vet fees.
Any Ideas and suggestion are welcome!
Thanks

I have the same scenario. I am 68. I operate entirely by myself. My baseline suggestion was made above - be sure you get a chute with the sliding guillotine type head catch so there is no chance of hip lock and so the cow cannot wedge into the salon doors which obstructs release.

Beyond that, you can use a lot of brands but the Priefert SO4 which is a grade up, has worked well here. I have had a couple misperformances with the autoheadcatch but no damage done.

I have never had that happen. And can't see any possible way a cow could ever get hip locked, calf possibly using a saloon door type of chute. If a cow gets by me it's my fault, not the chutes.
I've had it happen a few times. Not good! But if you just cut the bolts out of the top connecting bar so they can move separately it should help get them out

JMJ Farms said:
wbvs58 said:
Does anyone have any photos of the saloon type and guillotine type head gates?

Ken

Saloon Type doors Tarter Headgate

Priefert Model HG91 headgate

Thanks JMJ, I can see how the saloon doors could be a problem. When mention of guillotine type I was thinking more a vertical guillotine as in French Revolution but from what your picture depicts I would think that most headgates in Australia would be some variant of that type.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
JMJ Farms said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

Thanks JMJ, I can see how the saloon doors could be a problem. When mention of guillotine type I was thinking more a vertical guillotine as in French Revolution but from what your picture depicts I would think that most headgates in Australia would be some variant of that type.

Ken

This might help.

Priefert: The head catch moves in only one plane, like a guillotine. The gates come together horizontally.

The saloon-type gates rotate on a top and bottom axis. You swing them into the chute to set it to catch. The cow engages the gates with her shoulders and moves them forward into the Lock position. The cow is released by swinging the gates forward out from the chute.

wbvs58 said:
JMJ Farms said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

Ken

This is our For Most, A-25 auto catch or saloon type.
Closed position

Open set to catch

Then open as if to release the animal

Here are some close ups of the adjustments on each side

Bamadan said:
I need to buy a squeeze chute, to make handling cattle safer, for the cows and ME.Don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want a good unit. Don't have a big operation, usually keep bout 20-25 head. Most of the time I work them by my self (I'm 65), so that is a consideration also. In our area, getting a Vet to the farm is getting tougher to do, having a chute to handle cattle could save some Vet fees.
Thanks
The one piece of advice I would give is no matter what brand you choose, be sure you get the best chute you can afford -- and then go up one more model. The one thing I have learned is investing in quality handling equipment will pay for itself down the road in many ways. It's kind of like buying a tractor ... you think you know what your want and need, but after buying that particular model down the road you'll wish you had spent a few more dollars and gotten the one with a little more horsepower and a few more features. I would rather sell a couple head of cows and apply that extra money to a really good chute than shortchanging myself and getting something I may not be happy with down the road.

Powder River makes a pretty good chute that, for most people, is reasonably affordable. If I could afford one, I would seriously look at the Q-Catch 86 line from Arrowquip/Lakeland. They appear to be really nice.

Luckiamute said:
Bamadan said:
Thanks
The one piece of advice I would give is no matter what brand you choose, be sure you get the best chute you can afford -- and then go up one more model. The one thing I have learned is investing in quality handling equipment will pay for itself down the road in many ways. It's kind of like buying a tractor ... you think you know what your want and need, but after buying that particular model down the road you'll wish you had spent a few more dollars and gotten the one with a little more horsepower and a few more features. I would rather sell a couple head of cows and apply that extra money to a really good chute than shortchanging myself and getting something I may not be happy with down the road.

Powder River makes a pretty good chute that, for most people, is reasonably affordable. If I could afford one, I would seriously look at the Q-Catch 86 line from Arrowquip/Lakeland. They appear to be really nice.

Excellent advice for any situation.

Latest posts