COW VALUATION?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thing seem a bit higher yet in California.
I went to a dispersal of a good but certainly not great cow herd last week with an employee who was wanting some advice while buying 15-20 cows for he and his wife to put on a little piece of ground he got from his grandparents.
The type of cow you're describing brought about $1,650 on average, maybe a tick higher.

From what we're seeing around NE Ga, $1350 is about right. Bred heifers could bring a tick or two higher, maybe.

Prices are really dropping at the sale. I may have to just follow their trailers to the sale bc on the farm price is way above sale prices. I am willing to pay some above cow sale price but not hundreds! I know of 2 young black bawlie pair saleing for 1100 this week.

I would say that even though things have come down here quite a bit, if you have bought from him before, and like the cattle, then 1200-1400 would be a decent price around here. I've seen some bring in the 900's and some as much as 1400 here but like everyone else is seeing, calf prices are really down so you can't afford to spend too much or they will never be able to pay for themselves and make you a little in a couple of years. If you keep them for 4-6 years, cull cow prices may be back up decent but right now $.50/cwt is all good ones are bringing.

Personally, I would want to know more about the cows than just the fact that they are 5 to 6 years old and 7 months bred. What are their bloodlines if known? Are they purebred? Registered? Crossbred? What kind of shape are they in? What is their calving history? What are they bred to? What are their udders/teats, feat, etc., like. Knowing that information would help put a more accurate valuation on the cows. I've seen "5 to 6 year old cows bred 7 months" go for as low as $700 to more than $3,000 in the past couple of weeks.