Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

My big cow mistake. The cow on the right is a lot rounder, bigger in the belly. She weighed 1,205. The cow on the left is my big cow. Not nearly as big around but a whole lot bigger. She weighed 1,645. I haven't tried to run her through the chute yet. I am worried she won't fit.

P2243087.JPG

So why do cow killers buy heavy bred cows? Is there a market for calf fetuses?
When I worked in a lab, we did use fetal calf serum as a growth medium. Little did I realize back then….really kinda sad (to me). I imagine a lot of newer folks taking breds and just dropping off have no clue who gets them.

So why do cow killers buy heavy bred cows? Is there a market for calf fetuses?
From what I see here, its mostly local farmers bidding on heavy breds and pairs.

They sell this group of animals at the same time every sale day. As soon as they're all sold half the attendees leave.

I'm sure part of that is farmers waiting on their checks though.

I'm with you though... I don't see the logic for heavy breds being bought for slaughter unless it's a veal thing, which I know nothing about.

When I worked in a lab, we did use fetal calf serum as a growth medium. Little did I realize back then….really kinda sad (to me). I imagine a lot of newer folks taking breds and just dropping off have no clue who gets them.
You are correct, the unborn calf serum is worth a fair amount. But many times the person dropped them off not knowing or not caring. When a cow is weighing 1500 and brings over $1 a lb many are worth more to slaughter than to go back to the farm.

I got 5 broken mouth cows bred 7 & 7+ today. They were selling all of them by the pound. One bid over the kill buyers. Just the way I like to buy BM cows. The price ranged from $0.94 to $1.00 a pound. The average weight was 1,291 and average price was $1,256. Certainly nothing to take to the county fair but they will make me money.

Western NY feeder sale this weekend, commercial bred cows 4-7 months bred that were in good condition were going $1/lb. Most were being bought by the kill buyers. I saw the fattest Hereford cow I'd ever seen come thru at 2010 lbs. Looked like a propane tank with 4 legs and ears. Sold for $2000.

Latest posts