Cow Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
There's a bull picture discussion going, and two of calves, so I thought I'd post some pictures of cows.

Here's an 8-year old cow. As you can see, she has one lame quarter, but she still raises pretty good calves.

This is her current calf, born February 6. You might recognize her as the "self-loader" from another discussion.

Here's her 3-year old daughter. She's a little thin, but I believe she'll fill out.

And here's a cow that I'm afraid I have some emotional attachment to. I had a great-great-uncle (my grandfather's brother) that I thought quite a bit of. He was born in 1899 and died in 1989, and acquired a good bit of land in the area during the Depression, and ran several hundred mama cows. He went along with us working his cattle until the last year or two of his life. Somewhere around 1980 he bought a Longhorn bull to use on heifers. The bull promptly got out and got with some of his mature cows, so my uncle just left him there. The last two years that he was still able to go out with us working cattle he gave me, my father, and two more men that helped each one of those half Longhorn calves. The cow pictured below is the granddaughter of one of the ones he gave me. As far as I know there are no other descendants of any of the others (and I'm the only one of the four men still alive), so I'm going to keep that line going as long as I can. She's 4 years old, and she's 1/2 Angus, 1/4 Brahman, 1/8 Longhorn, and 1/8 who-knows-what (probably Hereford, since that's mostly what my uncle had). She's a 4-year old.

I'll post more later, and feel free to show yours please.

She has become the BOSS cow. easy to move and work with.

Half Holstein her mama (old milk cow) last calf. She will die here.

aborted her second calf at approx. 8 months a month ago not sure but most likely will be gone.

Layne, I really like that Brangus cow.

Here's a cow, with her current calf, that I inherited from my father in 2007. She's the last one, since I had to cull so hard in 2011. He was a good cattleman in many ways, but wasn't real strong on record keeping, so I don't know how old she is. I'd guess at least 12, and maybe 15 or older (she didn't always have that white hair on her head). As long as she keeps having calves she can stay. I don't think I have any heifers from her, but I'm hoping for one next year from my new Brangus bull.

A couple of cows hard at work baby-sitting a half dozen or so calves while the rest were grazing.

This 7-year old almost didn't make it. When I weaned heifers that year I didn't much like her looks. She was kind of raw-boned, had those slur horns, and just wasn't "pretty". I weaned her along with the rest, intending to have her butchered, but I happened to look back at the records and saw that she was the youngest of the bunch but about the same size as the rest, so I decided to give her a chance. She's always one of the first to have a calf every year, and raises pretty good ones. That's her current calf with her, born around October 1. The next picture is of him a week or so ago, along with a heifer that I'll probably keep.

Some of my old home grown commercial girls. I've posted them here before.

DSC00852.JPG

DSC00846.JPG

DSC00848.JPG

DSC00825.JPG

DSC00816.JPG

DSC00864.JPG

Sure enjoyed the pictures, Rafter I loved the story about how you came to own that cow. I don't blame you for wanting to keep her and besides she is a nice looking cow. Thanks everyone for sharing the photos I enjoyed all of them!

gizmom

Rafter, that brangus was about 10 years old in that pic. She's gone now after she failed to take a few times. I sure did like her even if she was a little temperamental.

LRTX1":1jyaop6b said:
Rafter, that brangus was about 10 years old in that pic. She's gone now after she failed to take a few times. I sure did like her even if she was a little temperamental.
What breed is that red tinted cow?

Muddy":bjolu1mg said:
LRTX1":bjolu1mg said:

Angus sire, brangus dam. She raises a good calf, did fairly well with those twins on her in that pic.

LRTX1":2wkwsmjo said:
Muddy":2wkwsmjo said:
LRTX1":2wkwsmjo said:

Angus sire, brangus dam. She raises a good calf, did fairly well with those twins on her in that pic.
my neighbor has a brahma x red Angus cow just looks like her.

[urlhttp://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/CIMG1364.jpg][/url]
This is a purebred Similimiherfagus, 9 years old and probably one of the better cows I have, in terms of pounds of calf raised.

CIMG1361.jpg

This one is one of them black Herefords. The calf is shorty sired so I like to refer to it as a "British three-way".

Andyva":24syly7s said:
CIMG1361.jpg

This one is one of them black Herefords. The calf is shorty sired so I like to refer to it as a "British three-way".

That should make an interesting cross. British stacked on British. BTW I like your Shorthorn bull a lot.

Latest posts