cow hocked

Help Support CattleToday:

AllForage

Reaction score
Got back from a trip out west (was there for another species). Walked through a small sample of a 400 cow Angus herd. Owner uses AI sired bulls and AI's the heifers directly. Anyway, every cow I saw was cow hocked. Anyone have any experience with the real world ramifications of cow hocked cows? Is this a problem with mainstream Angus genetics these days?

The only ones I;ve seen that as a breed seem to be almost all cowhocked are longhorns. I refer to them as cricket legs, I'm surpised that they don;t chirp when they walk

AllForage":xmegfgh5 said:
Got back from a trip out west (was there for another species). Walked through a small sample of a 400 cow Angus herd. Owner uses AI sired bulls and AI's the heifers directly. Anyway, every cow I saw was cow hocked. Anyone have any experience with the real world ramifications of cow hocked cows? Is this a problem with mainstream Angus genetics these days?

Ryan, better for a cow to be cow hocked than sheep hocked. :lol:

AllForage":2jrnnm6x said:

I am sure that if they had to travel very far it would make a difference but since most herds are paddock cattle anymore probably wouldn't matter that much. I don't know just guessing.

Now I was hoping someone in the bull loop would tell me what animals in the breed have been perpetuating this stuff. I guess I will have to stick to my point of the danger of picking sires out of glossy magazines.

The cows were more duck footed than the hocks pinching in. As if the bone below the hock was twisted. As the polite gentleman that I am, I did not tell the owner what I had seen. So I asked how long his cows last and he told me over 10 usually of course. It was easy ranch country with only the heat to deal with.

Just wondering if it could be a mineral deficiency......
My cow that normally traveled correct, developed a duck walk with the Selenium deficiency. She is back to traveling normal now, once corrected.
Just another thought to chew on. :)

Seems to me it is a classic "function and form" debate. Especially for commercial cattle if the "problem" doesn't cause a drop in production is it really a problem ? Seems that sometimes the "desired "form requirements are set to give us things that we can see and therefore select for/against.Just thoughts

AllForage":25k1w0nc said:

It would be no problem for me to walk outside and take 50 photos of cow hocked Black Angus. The most disturbing thing is the udder quality. A first calf heifer should not have the udder and teats of a ten year old cow. Nobody would purchase a Playboy if the 21 year old gals had the breasts of an 80 year ok woman...

JWBrahman":2ftr7apc said:
AllForage":2ftr7apc said:

It would be no problem for me to walk outside and take 50 photos of cow hocked Black Angus. The most disturbing thing is the udder quality. A first calf heifer should not have the udder and teats of a ten year old cow. Nobody would purchase a Playboy if the 21 year old gals had the breasts of an 80 year ok woman...

That might be an over-statement John. Nubile breasts are certainly an attraction but so are some of the breasts I have seen on mature women. It is like they say, "there are good ole biggins and big ole goodins".

Would be interesting to know the genetics behind the cows. The angus breed is big enough that there are enough different almost "sub-breeds" We do have one purchased angus cow that is cow hocked but she goes back to some genetics I would expect it from. She will not be producing bulls and will be going to town. Now I would put the udder quality of most angus up against anything. There are definitely lines that are junk but they have been single trait selected for the feedlot in most cases.

The same thing applies to Brahman, Jake. You can find some of the best udders in cattle on Brahman and you can find the five teat sloppy messes on Brahman.

This kinda links in with East Caney's post about older cows. All of the rush to get your "brand" out there before anyone longevity tests the cattle isn't helping anyone.

I would say that hind leg structure certainly is one of he areas of concern in the angus breed. Personally I think most angus udders are very good, maybe more milk than their frail constitution can handle, but no udder issues here.

KNERSIE":20dngw7r said:
I would say that hind leg structure certainly is one of he areas of concern in the angus breed. Personally I think most angus udders are very good, maybe more milk than their frail constitution can handle, but no udder issues here.

Would whole heartedly agree. There are some "carcass" bulls that were heavily used that have wrecked leg structure and udders as well. MIF being one and several of the GAR bulls that I've seen descendents of.

AllForage":26q8aeuv said:

So has the question really been answered?

I heard the name Sitz mentioned, but you know guys who AI a lot it could be a whole ingredient list.

Latest posts