Cow Culling Conundrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":23olg83i said:
I was very glad that we sold flighty cows last year despite of them throws great calves. Boy what a huge difference in the herd as our herd is super quiet and super easy to work with this year. Short but quick process with catching cattle.
Hear Hear, as has been said on thiese forums many times. ( A bit of a paraphrase) There are too many good cows to keep ones that agravate you.

WarEagle73":3b9jt7ye said:
We are at capacity. I really have 3 options to think about I guess. We had a lot of heifers this time and really like most of them so we are going to keep more than normal to breed back. So I have a couple of options.

I can cull this cow is a good performer, but docility sucks or I can cull a different cow that is more docile, but a poorer performer (1290 lb. cow and 451 lb. steer calf).

I don't really care how she looks or if she is in good body condition, because she bred back on time and raised a solid calf. Her looks were just one more reason why I justified to sell her. She isn't dangerous, she just gets a little hot when you get her in small pens. We might can make our crowding pens a little taller and stronger to fix that issue.

I am legitimately torn. There is a lot to be said for a cow that is easy to work and doesn't cause problems, but is that more important than her ability to convert grass to calf? We are trying to develop a culling criteria plan for the future and I'm just not sure which to put more weight in. Thanks for all you responses.

I would maybe look at it by the money. A the smaller cow that raises a calf a calf 50 pounds larger at $2.25 per pound = roughly $115. She ways about a third less figuring at 2% of their body weight in dry matter for feed should be about roughly another $75 difference in annual feed costs between the 2 cows. If the messing around with her is worth the extra income she brings in I might keep her if not don't. If she is the only wild one in the group I might get rid of her anyway. Usually I have a group of them and can get them all together at a pasture with better facilities to handle them.

Sounds like you have some good options either way you go that could work out well for you.

Lucky_P":2qyzwrsj said:
WDE.
You don't like her looks, she's a PITA, cow prices are pretty good right now, winter's coming on.
Unless she's carrying an AI calf that you REALLY want... keep the heifer and send the cow to town.

Somebody said it well here just recently - there are too many good cows to put up with one like that...

That might have been me quoting something my father said many times: "There's too many good cattle in the country to put up with one like that." And I'd agree in this case. If she's a fence jumper I'd sell her without a second thought. As far as her looks, I've seen that some cows stay in good shape, but it's because they don't give much milk. Others never seem to get fat, but raise a good calf. But I'd still sell this one.

WarEagle73":3h6usllp said:
We are at capacity. I really have 3 options to think about I guess. We had a lot of heifers this time and really like most of them so we are going to keep more than normal to breed back. So I have a couple of options.

I can cull this cow is a good performer, but docility sucks or I can cull a different cow that is more docile, but a poorer performer (1290 lb. cow and 451 lb. steer calf).

I don't really care how she looks or if she is in good body condition, because she bred back on time and raised a solid calf. Her looks were just one more reason why I justified to sell her. She isn't dangerous, she just gets a little hot when you get her in small pens. We might can make our crowding pens a little taller and stronger to fix that issue.

I am legitimately torn. There is a lot to be said for a cow that is easy to work and doesn't cause problems, but is that more important than her ability to convert grass to calf? We are trying to develop a culling criteria plan for the future and I'm just not sure which to put more weight in. Thanks for all you responses.

Well, if that's the case, maybe sell 'em both and put the $$ in a good bred cow from an operation nearby who runs cattle in a way you respect?

Just a thought did you raise the cull cow? Is it possible she got stunted but has the right genitics to produce good calves? I mean if she produces a great calf over and over and is one of the best producers. keep her and her offspring. :2cents:

Latest posts