Cow age question

Help Support CattleToday:

HD, what a surprise! Had no idea she was a Holstein. And just look at the baby's expression, not to mention the pink nose. Were you able to graft calves onto her (not that you needed to, just curious)? Do you breed her to your beef bull now or AI her to Holstein?

Gale Seddon":29n6wnsm said:
HD, what a surprise! Had no idea she was a Holstein. And just look at the baby's expression, not to mention the pink nose. Were you able to graft calves onto her (not that you needed to, just curious)? Do you breed her to your beef bull now or AI her to Holstein?

Gale she had her last Holstein pb calf through AI in 2010 ,I have let my beef clean up bull get her because she only has one horn to begin with and she doesn't cycle as strong as she used to when she was younger.
In 2009 we had 5 sets of twins and Lou Lou (GV 1st calver) broker her femur in May and had to be put down and then Muriel (another Holstein flush cow) had to be put down in June so I had 5 extra calves and was short 2 moms. Angel raised 2 extra calves that summer and Magic (another Holstein ) raised 2 extra (Muriel's calf Valentine), Bella, Muriel's daughter 1/2 Holstein raised Lou Lou's calf as well as her own and Mandy GV raised her own twins. One of which is now our clean up bull . Miss Kayla(GV) raised both of her twins as well. Are you confused cause I sure am . :lol2:

hillsdown":2cu8nyoc said:
Gale Seddon":2cu8nyoc said:

Are you confused cause I sure am . :lol2:

Only slightly confused :lol: , but you answered my question. I don't see any horns on her at all. Does GV stand for Gelbvieh?

We always dehorn our horned cattle, especially when we dairied . They all were debudded at weening ,now I use paste when born . Most of the beef herd is polled now. Angels cross steer was polled this year although her sire is not homo polled . :?

Yes ,Gv is Gelbvieh ,I have a purebred reg Gv beef herd ..

I have officially jacked this thread . I am so sorry Mike :(

hillsdown":2h5v7yjb said:
Here is a pic of Angel taken a couple of years ago .
IMGP0554.jpg

Bet you didn't think I was talking about a Holstein. She was milked until 2006 and then we just flushed her and calved her out every year with the Gv herd . I should add that her calves have made us some pretty decent pocket change too . But, I love her because of her personalty ,she make me forget she is a cow sometimes. :lol: .
Love this picture :heart: it is beautiful! Makes me think of my childhood and all them beautiful Holsteins my Dad had.
My first cow Baby Jane will be buried here, I owe her that. Hope it won't be for a very long time.

CKC1586":3hh67dch said:
hillsdown":3hh67dch said:
Here is a pic of Angel taken a couple of years ago .
IMGP0554.jpg

Bet you didn't think I was talking about a Holstein. She was milked until 2006 and then we just flushed her and calved her out every year with the Gv herd . I should add that her calves have made us some pretty decent pocket change too . But, I love her because of her personalty ,she make me forget she is a cow sometimes. :lol: .
Love this picture :heart: it is beautiful! Makes me think of my childhood and all them beautiful Holsteins my Dad had.
My first cow Baby Jane will be buried here, I owe her that. Hope it won't be for a very long time.

One of my all time favorites too .. Baby Jane is a beauty and a matriarch of the herd. I too hope she has many more years to go as well. :heart:

I don't keep mine much past 12-- which is pretty much the practice for the majority of ranchs around here...10-12 is the magic age...

1) in this short grass country where cows have to get down to the ground (made up of sand and gravel) to find grass- most cows by 10 are broken mouths (some by 5-6)...

2) Most consider the culls as part of the yearly cattle income and would rather sell when culls are still in good shape to bring a good price- and not wait til they are shelly old crackers you can't hardly give away..

3) With the tough winters we get- the older cows can really drop condition and cripple up fast in a tough winter- and most don't want to have to babysit to get them thru til spring...

I culled during the drought and still have a 20 year old and my young cows are 8 to 10. Good grass equals good teeth and as long as she is producing every 11-12 months no reason to cull a cow. Helped the neighbor a while back when he was culling down like everyone else. He had 50 -60 in there twenties still had good teeth,udders and calving schedule. Little Brimmer goes a long way.

Yep. Teeth is what it is all about. Check those teeth when you work them and as long as they can process grass/hay and produce good calves, they can stay on my place. My herd is young at this point.

Still a good lookin old cow. thanks for all the answers. I am looking at hauling off 3-6 of my older cows (12+ years) before I have to winter them over. just some worrisome cows that might cause me problems, and I know they are gonna be eating the hay & feed up. Not gonna replace them until this spring... that is unless the drought continues.. then its back to the drawing board.

john250":1l6zi521 said:
Texans apparently need to mark cows << directionally. :hide:

:lol2: :lol2: << points to the end with the head on it so you know which end to go to when you're driving them in the dark. Also helps you find their head so you can kick their a$$. :cowboy: Actually that's an old registered brangus cow from <ow <reek ranch in Alabama.

john250":1rrlm0x8 said:
dun":1rrlm0x8 said:
TexasBred":1rrlm0x8 said:
Here's my old "grandma". 1995 Model. Ugly as dirt but great cow. Raised 14 calves.

Texans apparently need to mark cows << directionally. :hide:

Naw it's not Texan's it's TB start paying attention to the boy's post wagon is missing a few turnip's.

Somthing about "I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon" -- at least that's how I know that expression, but not entirely sure what CB means the way he used it.

Gale Seddon":3d0kkb2r said:
Somthing about "I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon" -- at least that's how I know that expression, but not entirely sure what CB means the way he used it.
Sounds like CB just called me an fool..or perhaps an idiot. Oh well I've been called worse. :lol2:

TexasBred":2htt7rfg said:
Gale Seddon":2htt7rfg said:
Sounds like CB just called me an fool..or perhaps an idiot. Oh well I've been called worse. :lol2:

I took it to mean you weren't playing with a full deck. (wagon is short of a load)

If I were wearing designer jeans or running designer labels on my cows, I don't think I would go posting pics :D

backhoeboogie":2zji2d9b said:
TexasBred":2zji2d9b said:
Gale Seddon":2zji2d9b said:

I took it to mean you weren't playing with a full deck. (wagon is short of a load)

If I were wearing designer jeans or running designer labels on my cows, I don't think I would go posting pics :D
Well the designer jeans are definitely out....and the cow simply wears a brand ( << which is the brand for Cow Creek Ranch) and the letter "E" which represents the year she was born (1995). She did produce some "designer" calves but they weren't freeze branded. Now let's see yours hot pockets. ;-)

Latest posts