Cougar attack, pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Muddy":184kqrki said:
ce4_zpswsn8gsjz.jpg

Why don't you try to stay away for it ..... :)

cowgirl8":2vctmi4l said:
garyws":2vctmi4l said:
Could be a young bobat. They tend to play with their prey just for practice. If it was a puma he'd gone for the throat/neck area and drug it away for dinner.
This is what i think happened.....I got there when the cat was checking the calf out, maybe waiting for the cows to get further away, watching in a tree. I show up, the calf was curled up, and when i grabbed a leg to check the sex, he made himself heavy and stayed motionless....I then leave and make a round around this pasture which took maybe 5 minutes. In that time, that cougar came down and chomped down on the calf, then i show back up. I sure wished i had looked up because thats where he had to of been. No way to get out of this small grove of woods without going out into the open... There is a tree right at where this calf was that you can tell something climbs it a lot.
From the marks, there is one bite mark with one fang sinking deep into his spine and one off to the side..there are 2 scrape marks that smaller front teeth made...on one side, perfect claw marks with small puncture wounds from the claws sinking in. Maybe the cat wasnt that hungry, or maybe its just i drove up at the right moment. But, its a cougar, my vet confirmed by damage..and its in the same area as last years, confirmed by game warden, cougar attacks which killed 2 calves.. Not that i want it to be a cougar, or that i want to argue..I do have the calf here, vet examined and verified to safely say, cougar. So no need to continue to disagree...or argue the fact.. I agree its a rarity that one can be witness to seeing marks made by a cougar on something that lived..most dont.

That's a great theory, and I know you trust your vet, but 99 times out of 100 if it's the behind, it's Canine, if it's the front, it's cat.
If the cat had attacked from behind, you should be able to find claw marks on the front shoulder. Those tiny teeth marks you see, are most likely claw marks from a Canine. They appear to be about 1/8" in width, which would be about right for a Canine.
If this cat wasn't afraid of you when you checked on the calf the first time, why would he run off without killing the calf when you showed up the second time?

http://icwdm.org/inspection/livestock.asp
"Coyotes normally kill livestock with a bite in the throat, but they infrequently pull the animal down by attacking the side, hindquarters, and udder. The rumen and intestines may be removed and dragged away from the carcass. On small lambs, the upper canine teeth may penetrate the top of the neck or the skull. Calf predation by coyotes is most common when calves are young. Calves that are attacked, but not killed, exhibit wounds in the flank, hindquarters, or front shoulders; often their tails are chewed off near the top. Deer carcasses are frequently completely dismembered and eaten."
"Mountain lions, having relatively short, powerful jaws, kill with bites inflicted from above, often severing the vertebral column and breaking the neck. They also kill by biting through the skull."

But you can easily prove me wrong, just find the tracks. It looks like it was muddy, so it shouldn't hard to find tracks.

Thats not a lion.
Hope you get the problem animal killed.

Last time i inspected a coyote, they didnt have claws that they could embed into flesh..Fang marks too wide. There was one bite, which went to spine and crushed bone while claws grabbed and held it. The cat did not need to roll the calf over so that he could get his throat, he just pounced on it as it laid on the ground.The calf was curled on the ground and not running. Imagine playing with a house can and they all of a sudden decide to grab and take a bite, yeah, like that.. Why does it matter so much that you guys have to be right about something you've seen only a picture of? Get over it and move on.

It was a shock to me when i was told cougar...I sent the calf to the vet for a puncture wound.. cougar never even entered my mind..my explanation was cow dropped him onto a thorn, was the best i could think of. But when the vet diagnosed, pieces started to fit together, same spot, same time of year. I wasnt at the vet, son took calf...so i had no influence on the diagnosis, son is a quiet guy and probably said nothing but had nothing to add other puncture wound...
The only place i can think the cat could of gone was over my head. Make me shutter that i was that close. Quit carrying a gun because it gets so dirty on my 4wheeler.. The wound was so fresh it didnt have time to start bleeding. As i was putting the calf onto my 4wheeler, the drop of blood turned into a stream, by the time i got him home, i saw the gaping hole that was deep..claw marks were invisible, hidden by hair. There was no hair missing at all...nothing, just a drop of blood at first. The next day, his back end was all swollen and hard, like, weird hard. Ended up being the scratch marks oozing that dried.
Going to work harder this year to get this cat. Husband has ordered a call and we plan to either use night vision or infrared. The next morning we went out to investigate, no tracks, although cows churned up that area that 24 hours and we had rain. The woods this happened in is covered in leaves and no bare dirt was near....About 1/2 mile away we found fresh hog tracks, sow and babies...so, maybe he filled with pork and moved on..

TennesseeTuxedo":3ifun5ak said:
Looks like a classic jubracbra attack to me. No other rational explanation.

Very possible, or a black panther, I've heard they left FL after the election was over, and started migrating back to SoCal.

I've been setting on it a while, waiting for the next CT showdown. Makes me chuckle every time I see it.

If it is a cougar get a loud mouth kid goat and build a pen in the back of a cage trap put the kid in the pen set the trap and cougar will be caught. A guy I know runs goats on a big ranch in west Texas and that is how they caught a cougar. Not going to argue with you but the marks on your calf don't match anything I have seen from cougars or many cats.

I've not seen seen marks made by a cougar or bobcat so will go along with the vet who did look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts