Cougar attack, pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl8

Reaction score
My abandoned twin had a terrible first few hours. First his mother leaves him to die, then a cougar tries to eat him. The first time i looked at the calf, he was untouched. Went to finish my rounds in this herd and saw that the lone calf was a twin so i went back to find him trotting from the area i had just spotted him. When i got close, i saw a drip of blood on his back. I must have interrupted the cougar when i drove up..When we took a closer look, the hole was deep and would not stop dripping blood. By morning, his back end was very swollen. Long story short, after this area was shaved to treat, it revealed other puncture wounds and claw marks...
He's doing fine, vet dug out bone off his spine that was broken off.. Vet seems to think that his chances are good...

The red is packing...there is a golf ball sized hole there to get out bone fragments...bone had to come out..

Claw marks look a little too small for a big cat, more like the Canis verity, they always go for the back end, and rear legs
A small calf like that, a cougar would of went straight for the neck/shoulder, and had his lunch made.

sim.-ang.king":2lhi100r said:
Claw marks look a little too small for a big cat, more like the Canis verity, they always go for the back end, and rear legs
A small calf like that, a cougar would of went straight for the neck/shoulder, and had his lunch made.

I was thinking same thing. Looks more like a dog/canid. I have seen several calves with almost identical wounds/injuries, caused by dogs.

Cute little calf. I like those black with mottled faces.

I hope heals well for you. Glad you got to him before it was too late.

I was there.. not a dog...Vet said cat. Has perfect claw marks of a cat...Had enough time to get in one bite into the back breaking off bone....Same place the others were killed by cat.

The other twin is identical to this....if it had been solid black, i'd still be looking for his mother..lol This one still has contracted tendons..another thing that pointed to twin, both had them...

Such a terrible thing to happen to that pretty little calf already abandoned by its mother. I hope he will be alright.

Could be a young bobat. They tend to play with their prey just for practice. If it was a puma he'd gone for the throat/neck area and drug it away for dinner.

garyws":1ce8v55g said:
Could be a young bobat. They tend to play with their prey just for practice. If it was a puma he'd gone for the throat/neck area and drug it away for dinner.
This is what i think happened.....I got there when the cat was checking the calf out, maybe waiting for the cows to get further away, watching in a tree. I show up, the calf was curled up, and when i grabbed a leg to check the sex, he made himself heavy and stayed motionless....I then leave and make a round around this pasture which took maybe 5 minutes. In that time, that cougar came down and chomped down on the calf, then i show back up. I sure wished i had looked up because thats where he had to of been. No way to get out of this small grove of woods without going out into the open... There is a tree right at where this calf was that you can tell something climbs it a lot.
From the marks, there is one bite mark with one fang sinking deep into his spine and one off to the side..there are 2 scrape marks that smaller front teeth made...on one side, perfect claw marks with small puncture wounds from the claws sinking in. Maybe the cat wasnt that hungry, or maybe its just i drove up at the right moment. But, its a cougar, my vet confirmed by damage..and its in the same area as last years, confirmed by game warden, cougar attacks which killed 2 calves.. Not that i want it to be a cougar, or that i want to argue..I do have the calf here, vet examined and verified to safely say, cougar. So no need to continue to disagree...or argue the fact.. I agree its a rarity that one can be witness to seeing marks made by a cougar on something that lived..most dont.

Williamsv":n45wf2z2 said:
Such a terrible thing to happen to that pretty little calf already abandoned by its mother. I hope he will be alright.
I really wished his mother had taken him...It was pretty funny seeing her with both in front of her. Abandoned twin went right for the udder...he smelled right, but she knew the other was the right one...but why are there now two...it was interesting to watch..

Looks like a coyote attack than a cougar attack. Sometimes a vet could be wrong or not very familiar with the animal attacks. But let's not agrue with cowgirl8 because she is always right and we're wrong.

No matter what it was, it's bad. Need to find it, and kill it.

Muddy":1wxznyyo said:
Looks like a coyote attack than a cougar attack. Sometimes a vet could be wrong or not very familiar with the animal attacks. But let's not agrue with cowgirl8 because she is always right and we're wrong.
Priceless......confirmed by vet who has practiced as a large and small animal vet, actually the only vet in a large area for over 40 years, i have the calf here to see......You looked at a picture......so you are saying that i think i'm always right, but its you that is right because my vet could be wrong........Am i missing something, oh yeah, you sit on the internet all day in a cow forum, have a hobby herd and you can google therefor you know it all. :lol2:

ez14":1qpirbt8 said:
Bigfoot":1qpirbt8 said:
No matter what it was, it's bad. Need to find it, and kill it.
:nod: :nod:
I have to pull that packing out tomorrow..... NOOOOOTTTT looking forward to that.. I'm suppose to wash it out, but if there are bone fragments left in there, i have to take him back to the vet so he can dig in it more.....bless this baby's heart.

It's funny that how quickly you get defensive when the others said it just looks like a coyote attack. What's wrong with being open to the folks' suggestions?

ce4_zpswsn8gsjz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts