Fly attack

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
My cows & horses are getting attacked by vicious flies. I'd describe them as a minature version of a horsefly, almost an inch long.They are especially going for the underbelly,biting the udder & teats, drawing blood. I bought pour-on insecticide from vet &applied, & started fly mineral. Any other suggestions to deter/eliminate flies would be appreciated. :help:

Inch long??? That is almost as big as a horsefly. Nothing like that here in Kentucky that comes to mind.

Hornfles are out in force but Ultra Boss is what I use. I did not see a single fly on mine yesterday. I would like to hear what you got that is that big.

I am guessing. But a little early for deerflies. They are in same family as the horsefly.

Bright Raven":2ud87pl1 said:
Inch long??? That is almost as big as a horsefly. Nothing like that here in Kentucky that comes to mind.

Hornfles are out in force but Ultra Boss is what I use. I did not see a single fly on mine yesterday. I would like to hear what you got that is that big.

I am guessing. But a little early for deerflies. They are in same family as the horsefly.
Yes, just shy of an inch, (I edited the post.) They are like a miniature version of a horsefly.

reeler":24lbwj9z said:
Bright Raven":24lbwj9z said:

Yes, just shy of an inch, (I edited the post.) They are like a miniature version of a horsefly.

Sounds like a deerfly. They are later coming out here. They are very difficult to control.

My problem here is a TINY little fly that bites like the dickens, and they come out in masses, also usually on the belly and udder. I use Absorbine UltraShield and it works alright, but some cows hate the spritz

Nesikep":1jhffnb2 said:
Post a picture of those flies!
I don't know how to post a picture, but they look like deer flies, as Bright Raven said.
They are brutal.

reeler":22br6orl said:
My cows & horses are getting attacked by vicious flies. I'd describe them as a minature version of a horsefly, almost an inch long.They are especially going for the underbelly,biting the udder & teats, drawing blood. I bought pour-on insecticide from vet &applied, & started fly mineral. Any other suggestions to deter/eliminate flies would be appreciated. :help:
Flies are horrible this year here after our three day winter I treated the first time in February, noticed yesterday it is wearing off.
Deer flies are the worst I have ever seen .

Snow sucks, but there's not a fly around here for the next 30 days I'll bet.... no skeeters either!

Caustic Burno":3raeroeu said:
Flies are horrible this year here after our three day winter I treated the first time in February, noticed yesterday it is wearing off.
Deer flies are the worst I have ever seen .
Thank you CB for confirming it's the worst you've ever seen. Sorry these menaces are in TX too.I'm working on a homemade trap, using 'tangle trap sticky coating'. Hopefully it will help eliminate some of them-Gotta do something!

reeler":162vzc3x said:
Txpiney":162vzc3x said:
Put some pyrethrum in a pump up sprayer and spray their legs and under sides

Thanks, the pour-on doesn't seem to phase them.
Welcome. When flies are really bad , I'll run them through the chute and do a pour on down their back and a spray on the legs and under sides.

reeler":16f4p8s1 said:
Txpiney":16f4p8s1 said:
You can't use the same insecticide pour year after year they become immune.
You have to use a multiple prong approach on fly management from rubs,IGR, sprays or pour on.
The type of fly your fighting is important as well, house,horn or heel knowing their breeding cycle, environment they prefer to fight the battle. You can spend a ton on chemicals that are not particularly effective on the enemy.

i ddin't see 1 horse/ deer fly where I lived before.. now that I moved they are here and they are terrible little sh!ts! they don't move off the cows sucking all that blood.. you kill one by hand and they have a ton of blood in them.

i'm building a bunch of bat and purple martin houses and putting them in all pastures.. hope that helps.

Caustic Burno":sxsp89xv said:
reeler":sxsp89xv said:
Txpiney":sxsp89xv said:
You can't use the same insecticide pour year after year they become immune.
You have to use a multiple prong approach on fly management from rubs,IGR, sprays or pour on.
The type of fly your fighting is important as well, house,horn or heel knowing their breeding cycle, environment they prefer to fight the battle. You can spend a ton on chemicals that are not particularly effective on the enemy.
Thanks, thinking about installing a rub. My husband is thinking about shooting these deerflies with my 22 loaded with birdshot :mrgreen:

Latest posts