How to take pictures ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have a couple bulls going to a sale in January. I need pics for the sale book. Any advice ? How do I get them in the correct pose , background etc ? Thanks.

If it's an online catalog video them in an open as well. That way folks can see them move and what their feet and legs look like.

Get his nuts warm. Otherwise they look small. Better yet make sure they are closest to the camera.
Hide the feed bowl. Pick your best background in your location. Good grass pasture... people going to micromanage the bulls background. Good lighting. Nothing like junk Fords or anything else sitting around in the background. People need be focused on the bulls not the nice Chevy in the background. 😍
What bull you have? Maybe we want see a preview. 😁😍🐃🦬🐂🥜

Good camera and clean animal. Clipped if possible. Sunny day with sun behind you for good light to eliminate shadows. Especially with a dark colored animal. Squat down so camera is a little lower than standing position. Looking down on the animal or up at the animal is not good. Stand a little forward of the center of the animal. Stand a little farther away and crop the picture later or zoom the camera. Look at a sale catalog to see the effect of the background. Make sure nothing in the background distracts, like a power pole or fence post behind the animal or junk or distractions. May need a panel set up on the opposite side of the animal to help keep him in place. A good size pen with an extra and well behaved animal in it works best. Probably need a helper out of the frame waving a hat or something to attempt to get the animal to perk up with ears forward and head up. Attempt to get the front feet set square (straight down and in line). Back feet offset, foot nearest you slightly back. Foot on opposite side a little forward. Hard to achieve the correct pose. If halter broken, set them up with halter and show stick and then photoshop the halter out.

Hire a professional if available. Otherwise lots of practice and snaps and hope there is one that is workable.

Use a quality camera.
Yes but it doesn't have to be over the top expensive. I upgraded to a Panasonic Lumix a couple of years ago and it improved my photography greatly of my bulls. It has good software that will adjust for bad background that doesn't make them stand out or poor light, it has good reaction time ie it is ready for another shot quickly, I love it, does good videos too.
I will often use a black and white umbrella with a parson standing in front and opening it when required to get their attention, just don't let the others in the pen see it as the quickly get used to it.
Avoid bright sunlight in the middle of the day with sun overhead. I like lightly overcast days best.
Getting the back leg right is a problem to me they always seem to want to keep it forward, I think that they think I am going to kick them in the nuts or something, I guess it is a guy thing, we seem to be a bit protective of our tackle.

Ken

Yes but it doesn't have to be over the top expensive. I upgraded to a Panasonic Lumix a couple of years ago and it improved my photography greatly of my bulls. It has good software that will adjust for bad background that doesn't make them stand out or poor light, it has good reaction time ie it is ready for another shot quickly, I love it, does good videos too.
I agree. I discovered those cameras many years ago. Leica glass lens, excellent image stabilization and overall quality, even in a point and shoot camera. Only camera brand I have owned since.

Take LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS!! because when you turn them loose and get home to edit, the one you thought was the perfect one is also the one he has his eye closed and his tongue on its way up the nostril closest to you. Personally, I like a 3/4 profile shot. Muscle is more defined, this angle captures the "soul" of the animal, and your critter will stand apart from the rest of the cattle that appear to have fallen into formation in the catalogue.
My 2 cents. ($0.016 in Canadian funds.)

Best I could do. I called a buddy who knows a buddy that shows. He is going to come help me tomorrow. They would not cooperate. Lesson learned. Last time I attempt taking pics.

Attachments

• 89E41B8F-64E6-4653-A6D7-89AD6E151578.jpeg
    89E41B8F-64E6-4653-A6D7-89AD6E151578.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 6712C48F-6B5D-4E20-9C44-1C76A6BF125C.jpeg
    6712C48F-6B5D-4E20-9C44-1C76A6BF125C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25

Latest posts