Need Help - Cow possibly sick after calfing. (with pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

JersRanch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a Jersey Cow that gave birth about 1 month ago. She has really low energy, has some puss coming out of her eyes and isn't that interested in eating grain. She still eats grass, and gives a pretty good amount of milk, but she doesn't come into the milking barn easy at all and she just looks under the weather. The attached picture is of her eye.

Anyone that can help me understand what is going on would be really helpful. It's difficult to get a large animal vet where I'm located.

Thank you in advance.

The pus isn't that bad - changeable weather or dusty conditions can cause that, or it could be the beginnings of a pink-eye infection, or worse. If she's easy to handle you could gently lower the eyelid and have a look, check that there's no odd growths causing the weepy eyes.
Check her temp, give an energy drench over the next couple of days (molasses or ketol), if the temp is good and she doesn't improve you'll need to either wait it out or get a vet to look her over.
Lots of possible causes and a lot more information would be needed to narrow them down at all.
No sign of mastitis or pain when milking?

I agree the eye doesn't look too bad. Any other symptoms other than low energy & not eating as much? Is she coughing, droopy ears, normal poo, drooling, drinking enough water? Does she spend a lot of time laying around & away from the herd? I'd start by taking her temp & maybe a shot of vitamin B Complex.

Age? Any drop in milk? Temperature?

How long has the problem been on going? Did she clean after calving?

Without any additional info, it is hard to tell, but displaced abomasum and ketosis are high on the list of possibilities...

Thanks for the response all.

The eye is getting worse (pic attached)

To answer some questions:

-No indication of pain when milking
-Her ears are a bit droopy
-The whites of her eyes are dark and red.
-She doesn't seem to be isolating herself from the herd
- She is 3 years old
- I haven't taken a temperature (waiting on a thermometer)
-I didn't see her placenta after birth, but there is no vaginal discharge.

2kqb7o.jpg

Even though you have not noticed any vaginal discharge it sounds like she has metritis (retained placenta). I would suggest invading her personal space & taking a big whiff - there's no mistaking that smell. Although it seems like there's no correlation, crusty, sunken eyes are one of the symptoms. Treatment with Excede, LA300 or Sustain III boluses is generally successful if caught early. Do you not have a thermometer in your medicine cabinet? They're cheap, use it & get a new one. I really suggest having her looked at by a vet.

OKay TCRanch, i'm starting to take this more seriously now.

I am certified AI and palpation so I have no problem getting back there,.. but what am I smelling for? Would I be able to feel if the placenta was retained?

Oh I forgot to mention about the Thermometer. I took the digital one I had for humans, but it maxed out a 101c when i took the temp which doesn't seem right...., i don't think I was in far enough to take correct temp. It's such a small thermometer I didn't want to risk losing it in her. I ordered a large animal one and it's on it's way.

101C definitely not right - you sure that's not farenheit? 101 F is normal.
At this point it's not too likely a uterine infection is going to be causing much external signs and the placenta won't be there - if it was retained inside it'll have disintegrated by now and the most you'd feel would be an enlarged uterus. If it's an ongoing infection the temperature may also have peaked and come back down while the cow is still sick.
There would have been some discharge after calving, and if it is putrid and continues for a long time that's not a good sign, if it becomes ongoing then after a while discharge will only be seen (white pus) when and if she comes on heat. You can look in the vulva to see if there's any mucus, if it's clear all is good, if there is white through it (3 - 6 weeks after calving is a good time to check) that's an indicator of infection and it can be treated.
With the list of symptoms you've given thus far it could quite easily be ketosis, metritis, mastitis, respiratory, hardware, heart disease, pain, pink-eye, peritonitis... the list goes on. If her milk production is good and stays good, that's a positive sign. But you really need to get a vet to look at her directly if you want effective diagnosis and treatment.

I use a basic digital thermometer from the drugstore, they do just fine & I've gotten readings up to 105.8. Just make sure you don't have slippery hands or gloves :).

I still wouldn't rule out a uterine infection. If I understood correctly she calved a month ago so the 3 - 6 week time frame after calving is now and I would follow Regolith's recommendation to check the vulva for white mucus. And the smell? Similar to a dead animal or the equivalent of a teenage boy's athletic shoes (you don't have to go dumpster diving, just get your nose real close). Also, observe her when she doesn't think you're looking: does she hunch her back and cough? That said, I absolutely agree with Regolith that it could be a gazillion different things & only your vet can make the proper diagnosis. In the meantime, you could spray her eye with Vetericyn for temporary relief.

If the temp was 101 F, it is normal. It therefore rules out infectious causes (pneumonia, metritis, mastitis etc). This means antibiotics are not necessary.

In any case,if it was pneumonia you would most likely notice a different breathing pattern.

Metritis is usually accompanied with a putrid smell that cannot be missed, if you took the temperature rectally, you would have noticed the smell.

Clinical mastitis results in a drop in milk production and visible changes in milk texture (flakes). Obviously, this type of milk cannot go in the milk tank.

As stated previously, 1 month post calving, typical diseases for milking cows are ketosis and displaced abomasum. This is more prevalent in 1st or 2nd lactation dairy cows. It is the period where the negative energy balance starts (the animal has trouble eating enough for its needs) due to the increasing milk production.

You may be able to purchase a ketosis detection kit at your local farm supply store or vet clinic. The powder or stick will turn purple when dipped in urine or milk (depending on what type of testing kit you have). The solution to this problem is increasing blood sugar (ketamalt, or glycol-p orally or dextrose 50% iv). Do not attempt the dextrose treatment if you have never done this before.

Diagnosis of DA without a stethoscope is difficult but not impossible. Some people are able to hear the characteristic "ping" by placing the ear next to the rib cage and flicking the area between the 9 and 13th rib (on the left side of the animal; if it were a right sided displacement, she would most probably be dead by now). See reference below: clinical findings. There is a section on treatment as well, though medical treatment is rarely successful (using drugs only), this problem usually requires corrective surgery.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/diges ... =displaced abomasum&alt=sh

Please keep in mind that in dairy cows, ketosis and DA typically go hand in hand (if you have one problem, you usually have the other as well).

Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks for all the replies all.

I consulted with a vet and she told me to give the cow 30cc of Penicillin (SubQ near the neck area) everyday for the next 5 days.

I also did a palpation and found her uterus to be of normal size. (left horn was a bit bigger but didn't seem overly large)
There is no vaginal discharge or foul smell... everything looks clean in the back.

Today was her first shot so we'll see how she responds..... Stay tuned. :hat:

Glad you talked to a vet! My last round with Duo Pen was 80cc every other day for a 18 month old bull. Neither of us enjoyed it.

I was under the impression that you didn't get a good temp because it wasn't positioned correctly (in far enough). Did the vet give any indication what she thought was wrong? Hope your girl responds quickly!

Heavy milking Jersey cows are especially prone to ketosis. I would go to WalMart and buy some keto-sticks and test her urine. If it is ketosis it will only get worse without treatment. She will be dull and drop weight rapidly.

LauraleesFarm":2mv4s88l said:
Heavy milking Jersey cows are especially prone to ketosis. I would go to WalMart and buy some keto-sticks and test her urine. If it is ketosis it will only get worse without treatment. She will be dull and drop weight rapidly.

I think this is exactly what is happening. The cow is not responding to antibiotics and only seems to get worse. She lost weight and today was the first day she was trying to eat but couldn't :???:

There is no large animal vet available where I live and the only one I was able to contact is only available for consultation.

What would be the best treatment I could give her if she does have ketosis after testing her with strips? We have some "Cal-Gel" tubes with calcium and tons of vitamins and minerals... maybe that would help?

This is starting to require immediate attention in my mind... i need to do something.

I read the post and found this

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/metab ... attle.html

Ketosis is a common disease of adult cattle. It typically occurs in dairy cows in early lactation and is most consistently characterized by partial anorexia and depression. Rarely, it occurs in cattle in late gestation, at which time it resembles pregnancy toxemia of ewes (see Pregnancy Toxemia in Ewes and Does). In addition to inappetence, signs of nervous dysfunction, including pica, abnormal licking, incoordination and abnormal gait, bellowing, and aggression are occasionally seen. The condition is worldwide in distribution but is most common where dairy cows are bred and managed for high production.

Etiology and Pathogenesis

The pathogenesis of bovine ketosis is incompletely understood, but it requires the combination of intense adipose mobilization and a high glucose demand. Both of these conditions are present in early lactation, at which time negative energy balance leads to adipose mobilization, and milk synthesis creates a high glucose demand. Adipose mobilization is accompanied by high blood serum concentrations of nonesterified fatty acids (NEFAs). During periods of intense gluconeogenesis, a large portion of serum NEFAs is directed to ketone body synthesis in the liver. Thus, the clinicopathologic characterization of ketosis includes high serum concentrations of NEFAs and ketone bodies and low concentrations of glucose. In contrast to many other species, cattle with hyperketonemia do not have concurrent acidemia. The serum ketone bodies are acetone, acetoacetate, and β-hydroxybutyrate (BHB).

There is speculation that the pathogenesis of ketosis cases occurring in the immediate postpartum period is slightly different than that of cases occurring closer to the time of peak milk production. Ketosis in the immediate postpartum period is sometimes described as type II ketosis. Such cases of ketosis in very early lactation are usually associated with fatty liver. Both fatty liver and ketosis are probably part of a spectrum of conditions associated with intense fat mobilization in cattle. Ketosis cases occurring closer to peak milk production, which usually occurs at 4–6 wk postpartum, may be more closely associated with underfed cattle experiencing a metabolic shortage of gluconeogenic precursors than with excessive fat mobilization. Ketosis at this time is sometimes described as type I ketosis.

The exact pathogenesis of the clinical signs is not known. They do not appear to be associated directly with serum concentrations of either glucose or ketone bodies. There is speculation they may be due to metabolites of the ketone bodies.

Epidemiology

All dairy cows in early lactation (first 6 wk) are at risk of ketosis. The overall prevalence in cattle in the first 60 days of lactation is estimated at 7%–14%, but prevalence in individual herds varies substantially and may exceed 14%. The peak prevalence of ketosis occurs in the first 2 wk of lactation. Lactational incidence rates vary dramatically between herds and may approach 100%. Ketosis is seen in all parities (although it appears to be less common in primiparous animals) and does not appear to have a genetic predisposition, other than being associated with dairy breeds. Cows with excessive adipose stores (body condition score ≥3.75 out of 5) at calving are at a greater risk of ketosis than those with lower body condition scores. Lactating cows with subclinical ketosis (see Subclinical Ketosis) are also at a greater risk of developing clinical ketosis and displaced abomasum than cows with lower serum BHB concentrations.

Clinical Findings

In cows maintained in confinement stalls, reduced feed intake is usually the first sign of ketosis. If rations are offered in components, cows with ketosis often refuse grain before forage. In group-fed herds, reduced milk production, lethargy, and an "empty" appearing abdomen are usually the signs of ketosis noticed first. On physical examination, cows are afebrile and may be slightly dehydrated. Rumen motility is variable, being hyperactive in some cases and hypoactive in others. In many cases, there are no other physical abnormalities. CNS disturbances are noted in a minority of cases. These include abnormal licking and chewing, with cows sometimes chewing incessantly on pipes and other objects in their surroundings. Incoordination and gait abnormalities occasionally are seen, as are aggression and bellowing. These signs occur in a clear minority of cases, but because the disease is so common, finding animals with these signs is not unusual.

Diagnosis

The clinical diagnosis of ketosis is based on presence of risk factors (early lactation), clinical signs, and ketone bodies in urine or milk. When a diagnosis of ketosis is made, a thorough physical examination should be performed, because ketosis frequently occurs concurrently with other peripartum diseases. Especially common concurrent diseases include displaced abomasum, retained fetal membranes, and metritis. Rabies and other CNS diseases are important differential diagnoses in cases exhibiting neurologic signs.

Cow-side tests for the presence of ketone bodies in urine or milk are critical for diagnosis. Most commercially available test kits are based on the presence of acetoacetate or acetone in milk or urine. Dipstick tests are convenient, but those designed to detect acetoacetate or acetone in urine are not suitable for milk testing. All of these tests are read by observation for a particular color change. Care should be taken to allow the appropriate time for color development as specified by the test manufacturer. Handheld instruments designed to monitor ketone bodies in the blood of human diabetic patients are available. These instruments quantitatively measure the concentration of BHB in blood, urine, or milk and may be used for the clinical diagnosis of ketosis.

In a given animal, urine ketone body concentrations are always higher than milk ketone body concentrations. Trace to mildly positive results for the presence of ketone bodies in urine do not signify clinical ketosis. Without clinical signs, such as partial anorexia, these results indicate subclinical ketosis. Milk tests for acetone and acetoacetate are more specific than urine tests. Positive milk tests for acetoacetate and/or acetone usually indicate clinical ketosis. BHB concentrations in milk may be measured by a dipstick method that is available in some countries, or by the electronic device mentioned above. The BHB concentration in milk is always higher than the acetoacetate or acetone concentration, making the tests based on BHB more sensitive than those based on acetoacetate or acetone..

Treatment

Treatment of ketosis is aimed at reestablishing normoglycemia and reducing serum ketone body concentrations. Bolus IV administration of 500 mL of 50% dextrose solution is a common therapy. This solution is very hyperosmotic and, if administered perivascularly, results in severe tissue swelling and irritation, so care should be taken to ensure that it is given IV. Bolus glucose therapy generally results in rapid recovery, especially in cases occurring near peak lactation (type I ketosis). However, the effect frequently is transient, and relapses are common. Administration of glucocorticoids, including dexamethasone or isoflupredone acetate at 5–20 mg/dose, IM, may result in a more sustained response, relative to glucose alone. Glucose and glucocorticoid therapy may be repeated daily as necessary. Propylene glycol administered orally (250–400 g/dose, [8–14 oz]) once per day acts as a glucose precursor and is effective as ketosis therapy. Indeed, propylene glycol appears to be the most well documented of the various therapies for ketosis. Overdosing propylene glycol leads to CNS depression.

Ketosis cases occurring within the first 1–2 wk after calving (type II ketosis) frequently are more refractory to therapy than cases occurring nearer to peak lactation (type I). In these cases, a long-acting insulin preparation given IM at 150–200 IU/day may be beneficial. Insulin suppresses both adipose mobilization and ketogenesis but should be given in combination with glucose or a glucocorticoid to prevent hypoglycemia. Use of insulin in this manner is an extra-label, unapproved use. Other therapies that may be of benefit in refractory ketosis cases are continuous IV glucose infusion and tube feeding. (Also see Fatty Liver Disease of Cattle.)

Prevention and Control

Prevention of ketosis is via nutritional management. Body condition should be managed in late lactation, when cows frequently become too fat. Modifying diets of late lactation cows to increase the energy supply from digestible fiber and reduce the energy supply from starch may aid in partitioning dietary energy toward milk and away from body fattening. The dry period is generally too late to reduce body condition score. Reducing body condition in the dry period, particularly in the late dry period, may even be counterproductive, resulting in excessive adipose mobilization prepartum. A critical area in ketosis prevention is maintaining and promoting feed intake. Cows tend to reduce feed consumption in the last 3 wk of gestation. Nutritional management should be aimed at minimizing this reduction. Controversy exists regarding the optimal dietary characteristics during this period. It is likely that optimal energy and fiber concentrations in rations for cows in the last 3 wk of gestation vary from farm to farm. Feed intake should be monitored and rations adjusted to meet but not greatly exceed energy requirements throughout the entire dry period. For Holstein cows of typical adult body size, the average daily energy requirement throughout the dry period is between 12 and 15 Mcal expressed as net energy for lactation (NEL). After calving, diets should promote rapid and sustained increases in feed and energy consumption. Early lactation rations should be relatively high in nonfiber carbohydrate concentration but contain enough fiber to maintain rumen health and feed intake. Neutral-detergent fiber concentrations should usually be in the range of 28%–30%, with nonfiber carbohydrate concentrations in the range of 38%–41%. Dietary particle size will influence the optimal proportions of carbohydrate fractions. Some feed additives, including niacin, calcium propionate, sodium propionate, propylene glycol, and rumen-protected choline, may help prevent and manage ketosis. To be effective, these supplements should be fed in the last 2–3 wk of gestation, as well as during the period of ketosis susceptibility. In some countries, monensin sodium is approved for use in preventing subclinical ketosis and its associated diseases. Where approved, it is recommended at the rate of 200–300 mg/head/day.

I spoke to a vet at a Texas Clinic, and he thinks is pneumonia and recommended LA300 antibiotic. Anyone have experience with this?

Does not appear you are making any progress, rather than taking the cheap route by speaking with vets, you need to
have a large animal vet come out and do an actual hands on exam.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for cheap routes...but there comes a time when you need to take the next step.
Be there for the exam. Watch, listen and learn, it can be an opportunity for a good learning experience.

Son of Butch":ycmbrsqj said:
Does not appear you are making any progress, rather than taking the cheap route by speaking with vets, you need to
have a large animal vet come out and do an actual hands on exam.
Or haul her to one!

You can retake her temperature.

If it is below 103 F or 39.5 C, you can rule out infectious causes and your cow does not need systemic antibiotics.

The # 1 differential for a dairy cow not eating 1 month post partum with no fever is a displaced abomasum with secondary ketosis, especially with 1st or 2nd lactation cows. You can read the previously posted Merck reference.

Left displaced abomasums are most common. Left untreated, the cow gradually melts away. Right displaced abomasum are less frequent and as stated previously, this is unlikely the case in your situation because cows rarely survive beyond 48 hrs.

This disease requires corrective surgery where the abomasum (last stomach compartment) is surgically attached, medical treatments (using drugs only) are usually not effective and relapse of the DA is high.

Latest posts