Corriente

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":26g0lcrs said:
ALACOWMAN":26g0lcrs said:
just a couple thrown at me... he has a scotal cm of - 30 and BW was 38.5 PNDS.. adjusted ww.. was a wopping 175 pds at 205 days... they say he's a curve bender.... or in their breed terms, a knot jerker :lol2:

That makes him worth more, he can be roped or penned for 3 years before he gets too big.

:lol2: :lol:

Guess what! There is money being made with both corrientte and longhorns. This team ropeing and rodeoing does use quite a lot of them. We get some every year and make beef out of them. Good enough beef but not very good converters. Always takes so long to get their stomach up and operateing. Interesting and strange animals. Damn sure good that our whole industry does'nt have to depend on them or we would need at least twice as many cows to keep us supplied with our beef needs.

Corriente cattle literally drove me into the cattle business.After my dad got too old to mess with the cattle, he had a good renter. When that man gave up the place, I rented it to a neighbor down the road who raised Corrientes for roping/rodeo stock. Knew his brother, worked with his sister, so figured he was good as gold like them. He claimed they only ate half what a big cow ate; also told me he would fix cross fence on the place if needed. After he ran 60 head on this 190 acres, it looked like a desert, and the repairs I had to do on the place cost more than the rent he was paying. One day I found a cow in a pasture that I thought was closed off. Ran her back, found the hole in the fence, put in a new post, fixed the wire, thought it was good. Next day she was back in. I thought "great, I missed a hole". Ran her to the fence; she stopped at the new fence post and then jumped it flat-footed and never touched it going over. I put up a new top wire, got rid of the renter, he was behind on rent anyway, figured I could do no worse, and bought my first 10 cows. Only had one fence jumper ever in my herd, and she went to work for McDonalds. Until I had Corrientes on the place, I never knew deer, goats, and jack rabbits could interbreed.

Grandpa":15bdxxjq said:
Corriente cattle literally drove me into the cattle business.After my dad got too old to mess with the cattle, he had a good renter. When that man gave up the place, I rented it to a neighbor down the road who raised Corrientes for roping/rodeo stock. Knew his brother, worked with his sister, so figured he was good as gold like them. He claimed they only ate half what a big cow ate; also told me he would fix cross fence on the place if needed. After he ran 60 head on this 190 acres, it looked like a desert, and the repairs I had to do on the place cost more than the rent he was paying. One day I found a cow in a pasture that I thought was closed off. Ran her back, found the hole in the fence, put in a new post, fixed the wire, thought it was good. Next day she was back in. I thought "great, I missed a hole". Ran her to the fence; she stopped at the new fence post and then jumped it flat-footed and never touched it going over. I put up a new top wire, got rid of the renter, he was behind on rent anyway, figured I could do no worse, and bought my first 10 cows. Only had one fence jumper ever in my herd, and she went to work for McDonalds. Until I had Corrientes on the place, I never knew deer, goats, and jack rabbits could interbreed.

Good read, Hope you are not too bummed about those 'Cats!

Beef Man":jux1j9i6 said:
Guess what! There is money being made with both corrientte and longhorns. This team ropeing and rodeoing does use quite a lot of them. We get some every year and make beef out of them. Good enough beef but not very good converters. Always takes so long to get their stomach up and operateing. Interesting and strange animals. be nice sure good that our whole industry does'nt have to depend on them or we would need at least twice as many cows to keep us supplied with our beef needs.
no doubt about that.... dont see how anyone can raise em for what their worth,, or pay good money for what they aint..........but then like the old saying ""pay to play"" we use to by as a group.. all of us had 3 calve each which worked great, and this was when calves were cheap...

I did work for the Corriente association for years, so have attended a lot of their conventions. Seen some pretty cool things from those cattle. They are not halter broke, they show them "at liberty" in large pens. Saw a 2 yr old bull class where two bulls kept hooking up and fighting. The show steward knocked on their horns/heads a few times with a sorting stick and they broke it up, and then one bull cut and ran. The other bull ran after him but the judge accidentally stepped in the way. That bull sat down and stopped like a champion reining horse to keep from hitting the judge. It was really something to see.

Latest posts