Angus x Corriente

Help Support CattleToday:

Which pic(s) are of Angus x Corriente calves?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm all for people crossing and raising any kind of cattle they enjoy looking at. I've got several friends that run Corrienti cattle for ropers and cross them with Angus to make cows. I know a man that built a heard of close to a 1,000 head out of mexican x angus cross. My question is what will the calves bring at the sale? There was another thread this week that posted East Texas cattle sales. It was hard to read the sales sheet but I believe it said 800# $1.45-1.55. Will the Mexican xAngus cross calves bring this or are they the ones in the blurp that says "lower quality cattle did not bring these prices". If the latter why would you raise them? My calves averaged 825# and brougt $1.49 about a month ago, they pretty well topped the market that week. I wasn't at the sale but I doubt any Mexican cattle came anywhere near that.
Yes.
I have had plenty of Mexican cattle and I'll probably have some more.
Anybody that's raised a few can see the difference on a stocker sized calf.
Buyers might not know the breeds involved. But they know a good calf from a good calf.
I just leased my place at lometa. After picking up a couple new places close to the house I haven't needed it. If I couldn't have gotten it leased short-term I probably would've dumped a few low value cattle (a few on 235 acres) to meet my ag exemption on the place, and looked in on them monthly.
I've discovered that when someone uses absolute statements like "we are all" they're usually a fake expert.
Because there are no absolutes in anything.
I said I'd use a char bull and I would.
I wouldn't think to recommend a bull for someone in Florida or Oregon. But I think I'm qualified to in central Texas.
I think warren exaggerated a bit and possibly repeated a story he heard someone else tell. Now he's posted a poll with pictures he cut and paste off the web. And is threatening and insulting everyone who disagrees with him. I certainly don't take calling someone a liar lightly.
So I'll just say imo warren is full of shyt.......

Here's my thoughts regardless of where the picture came from.

Number one is way too small/young to tell anything. Still had a dry umbilical!

2 never entered my mind

3 raised doubts with that tiny head. Still young. Needed to see more of him/it.

4 hides it very well if it is. Need to turn it around and see more also.

My original vote was for number 5 calves. Not necessarily because they were running, but appeared to be the only crossbred I could pick out from the provided pictures.

I'm just a keyboard cowboy doing the best I can with what I got.
😂🤣😂🤣🤠🤠🤠🤠

Screenshot_20200825-190118_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200825-190107_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200825-190048_Gallery.jpg

Here's my thoughts regardless of where the picture came from.

Number one is way too small/young to tell anything. Still had a dry umbilical!

2 never entered my mind

3 raised doubts with that tiny head. Still young. Needed to see more of him/it.

4 hides it very well if it is. Need to turn it around and see more also.

My original vote was for number 5 calves. Not necessarily because they were running, but appeared to be the only crossbred I could pick out from the provided pictures.

I'm just a keyboard cowboy doing the best I can with what I got.
😂🤣😂🤣🤠🤠🤠🤠

View attachment 7653View attachment 7654View attachment 7655
This made me laugh. The old cut the horns off trick. I know several traders that buy horned cattle and do this to resale for a profit. It's actually a good strategy. There's some really really good cows out there that bring a couple hundred less simply because they have horns.

As far as the Mexican cattle go I understand why people run them and the strategy behind it. Some guys do this with longhorns also.

Funny story here. My neighbor has 60 acres and bought a couple longhorn calves to mess with. He doesn't come around much so I looked after them ( didn't take much). One day me and the 5 yo Grandson were coming back from checking cows and both of those longhorns had gotten in my pasture right behind our house. I stopped and was thinking I gotta get these dang thing outta here. Before I could say anything the grandson looks at me and says " Grandpa you finally got some good bulls". I had a good laugh and just went back and shut the gate to that pasture. I'm guessing the horns is what made them "good bulls".

This made me laugh. The old cut the horns off trick. I know several traders that buy horned cattle and do this to resale for a profit. It's actually a good strategy. There's some really really good cows out there that bring a couple hundred less simply because they have horns.

As far as the Mexican cattle go I understand why people run them and the strategy behind it. Some guys do this with longhorns also.

Funny story here. My neighbor has 60 acres and bought a couple longhorn calves to mess with. He doesn't come around much so I looked after them ( didn't take much). One day me and the 5 yo Grandson were coming back from checking cows and both of those longhorns had gotten in my pasture right behind our house. I stopped and was thinking I gotta get these dang thing outta here. Before I could say anything the grandson looks at me and says " Grandpa you finally got some good bulls". I had a good laugh and just went back and shut the gate to that pasture. I'm guessing the horns is what made them "good bulls".
I'll get a good pic of 104 b4 long. Shes due with her second calf soon.
Idk what she is, but shes big enough and raised a pretty good heifer calf last go round.
She was bred to my 1 nut bwf bull for her first and calved unassisted.
20200923_070643.jpg
I like the hereford better. The de-horned one will act like shes gonna kill you if she has a baby with her. So far it's been bluff. She EVER comes at me and she will be gone.

It's funny u mention the horn cutting/buying/selling. Just a week or 2 ago I almost bought a couple more to do the same thing. Good big bodies cows looked very similar to this. Lop the horns off, calve em out, and makes several hundo.

I took this ones horns because she used them on the other cows. Most all mine are polled. I bought this one in a group of 3. They went cheap. Why someone didnt sort her off idk. But it worked for me! This one and 106 the bmf, have done well. The tan one from the group was a dud. Sold her.

O!! Forgot to add.
104 and 106 are both bred to my registered hereford this go round.

Last edited:
You are correct about #5 being crossed with something! These belong to a neighbor and he calls them Brangus. This man's cows are a Heinz57 of mutts. They are a hodge podge of Holstein- Angus, angus, black baldies and long ago he did have a Brahma bull for a year or two. . I think it was the sire of these calves' sire... the "Brangus" bull. You can see some ear and a little bit of leather in those calves. I think you can see more dairy in them than anything. When a cow gets old or sick and dies, he will go to a sale and buy whatever black or black baldy cull cow is cheapest. About the same with his bull. They stay in the pasture year round, til they get crippled, sick or die, then he will go a sale and buy a black , grade, cull bull. Or, if he feels the bull is getting too old, he will pick out a bull calf with an older dam, sell its momma and the old bull, and raise that bull calf for a bull. Never mind that it probably has sisters, half-sister, and maybe a grandma in the herd. About the only thing he doesn't have in his mix, is Corriente or Longhorn. He wont have a bovine that isn't polled.

I personally would like to know if we can archive all this Angus x Corriente nonsense.

I didn't plan on having bush cows before I saw this and I don't plan on it now. Saw a pot load of Corriente pairs going through the sale when we dropped off a couple big bulls (prices are around $1 per lb). Not one person would get into the pen with them to push them through and they still were thrashing through the panels at the workers.

Wild- and all the calves were the same way.

I personally would like to know if we can archive all this Angus x Corriente nonsense.

I didn't plan on having bush cows before I saw this and I don't plan on it now. Saw a pot load of Corriente pairs going through the sale when we dropped off a couple big bulls (prices are around $1 per lb). Not one person would get into the pen with them to push them through and they still were thrashing through the panels at the workers.

Wild- and all the calves were the same way.
I think you can find exceptions within any breed. Our sale yard had 6 1/2 + foot high gates and every now and then you would see one with the top board broken,, somebody had brought a Brahma to town. If you don't like the thread, don't look at it. :)

I think you can find exceptions within any breed. Our sale yard had 6 1/2 + foot high gates and every now and then you would see one with the top board broken,, somebody had brought a Brahma to town. If you don't like the thread, don't look at it. :)
Every now and then I see the guy at a local barn get the skidsteer to push a ornery ol bull into the ring.

The last one I remember was like a Corriente bull on steroids. Weighed less than 1000, but thick.
Meaner 'n a bag of Hornets!

The guy that bought him let him live in the trailer for a week. Didnt help. Liked to tore his trailer apart.
He had to have cows with him to calm him down. Then u better not get too close.

Never did hear what he did with him!
Those are hard to even give away

Every now and then I see the guy at a local barn get the skidsteer to push a ornery ol bull into the ring.

The last one I remember was like a Corriente bull on steroids. Weighed less than 1000, but thick.
Meaner 'n a bag of Hornets!

The guy that bought him let him live in the trailer for a week. Didnt help. Liked to tore his trailer apart.
He had to have cows with him to calm him down. Then u better not get too close.

Never did hear what he did with him!
Those are hard to even give away
Probably went straight to slaughter..

Absolutely! The meanest cow I ever have dealt with, was damned Hereford, which are noted for their docility. she wasn't wild..wasn;t hard to catch or she didn;lt run oiff. That crazy b*tch would hear her owners open a gate to her pasture, and charge them. They got me to rope her and carry her to a local butcher, and I thought she would tear my trailer apart in the 10 miles to his place. He shot her on the trailer, then drug her inside to process. The meanest bull I ever knew of was a Jersey. Gentlest bull I ever saw, other than an Angus that a friend's dad had when we were little, that we could get on 2 or 3 at a time and ride him, was a Brahma. The man's kids could go out in the pasture and sit on him while he was lying down, and they could take him by an ear and lead him anywhere they wanted him to go. If he was in the back of a pasture, they could holler for him and he'd come a running.... bellowing and slinging his head, and jumping around like a bucking bull, til he got close to you. Seen many a grown man that didn't know him, clear the top strand of wire on the fence in a single leap! I know cattle can;t think like that, but it almost seemed he enjoyed scaring them like that!

The 24 Corriente practice steers we have, will just stand in the lane and let you wrap their horns....you don't have to push them all into the chute to wrap them. One of them we call 101, because he has 101 branded on his horns, will walk up tp the header after the heeler has released his legs, and lean his head for you to take the rope off his horns. It doesn't have as much to do with breed, as it does have they have been treated.

I agree with you, Puzzled. If he don't wanna read the thread, then he don't need to put his cursor on the title and left click! Instead, 2 Birds, put your middle finger on that wheel in the middle of your mouse, and rotate it toward or away from you!

The only times you'll have real trouble with Brahman cattle is when they are penned,and dang sure after calving.on pasture they are pups for the most part..have a keen predator instinct ..its in all breeds ,but the Brahman has over and above the requirement..

The only times you'll have real trouble with Brahman cattle is when they are penned,and dang sure after calving.on pasture they are pups for the most part..have a keen predator instinct ..its in all breeds ,but the Brahman has over and above the requirement..
I have seen Brahmas like that, especially if they aren't penned or fooled with much, and when they are it is on foot. They seemed to be bothered by hot shots...before they were outlawed....more so than some other cattle, too. But I tell ya, I have seen Angus, especially the first day or so, be a whole lot more aggressive with their new calves.

Latest posts