Longhorn or Corriente

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Looking at getting some brush cows to run on a lease place in Southwest louisiana question is would I be better off with longhorn or Corriente cows. I'll end up running a beef bull on them more than likely

Neither. Mow it and get some real cows.

Lol I'd go with longhorns and a Char bull before a corriente...

holm25 said:

Only 1/2 is now able other 1/2 is woods/cutover and small grass openings reason I'm gonna run brush type cows

DCA farm said:
Ebenezer said:
holm25 said:

Any market for rodeo calves?
I'd have no problem selling the calves 1/2 my family rope 1/2 my friends rope
In that case, go with the corriente to keep the horns shorter for roping. :2cents:

Also, from what I've seen...., corrient can eat the grass to the dirt and survive. ;-)

Brute 23 said:
Neither... Brahman, maybe crosses or a composite breed. A small place like that would be perfect to start a nice herd.

Iits 37 acres 16 pasture/16 woods and cut over 5 acres of road front pasture that has a restriction on it and can't be grazed. In your opinion while Brahman cattle utilize 16 acres of woods and cutover enough to even bother fencing it in. It's a family members land won't cost me a yearly note to put cows on it. I may just fence in the grazable and run heavy Breds on it

DCA farm said:
Brute 23 said:
Neither... Brahman, maybe crosses or a composite breed. A small place like that would be perfect to start a nice herd.

Iits 37 acres 16 pasture/16 woods and cut over 5 acres of road front pasture that has a restriction on it and can't be grazed. In your opinion while Brahman cattle utilize 16 acres of woods and cutover enough to even bother fencing it in. It's a family members land won't cost me a yearly note to put cows on it. I may just fence in the grazable and run heavy Breds on it

Yes the hustle and eat a lot of the things like LH... and you can get real money for them. That would be a great place to have a little herd of pure bloods if you have the capital to get in the game. I bet you could potentially even go with 1/2 or 3/4 bloods if you wanted to stay with terminal calves.

Post a pic of the "woods" and pasture. That will tell us a lot more. It has to be really bad... I mean really bad... to justify a LH. In that kind of country, that requires LH, you have to have a ton of acres to run any kind of numbers.

Brute 23 said:
DCA farm said:
Brute 23 said:

Yes the hustle and eat a lot of the things like LH... and you can get real money for them. That would be a great place to have a little herd of pure bloods if you have the capital to get in the game. I bet you could potentially even go with 1/2 or 3/4 bloods if you wanted to stay with terminal calves.

Post a pic of the "woods" and pasture. That will tell us a lot more. It has to be really bad... I mean really bad... to justify a LH. In that kind of country, that requires LH, you have to have a ton of acres to run any kind of numbers.

Not sure how to post pictures the pasture section just needs to be bushogged or burned and let the grass come backed it's been bush hoggd 3x a year every year except last year it rained so much he didn't bother doing it the woods are mostly oaks and a few pines the cut over was all pine that was aloud to grow up after trees were cut

DCA farm said:
Brute 23 said:
DCA farm said:

Not sure how to post pictures the pasture section just needs to be bushogged or burned and let the grass come backed it's been bush hoggd 3x a year every year except last year it rained so much he didn't bother doing it the woods are mostly oaks and a few pines the cut over was all pine that was aloud to grow up after trees were cut

Im PMed you. I can help post pics.

Brute 23 said:
DCA farm said:
Brute 23 said:

Im PMed you. I can help post pics.

Sorry I haven't got back over there to get any pictures yet. I've got a complete working pen and chute rebuild going just ain't had time to get over there again.

Got out there yesterday on 4 wheeler the section of land I'll run cows on needs to be bush hogged bad. It's a good 4-6ft tall
I won't fool with fencing in the cut over it's done went to thicket I will have to build fence on front and back the sides have good fence one side has 5 strand barb wire other has net wire with 2 strands of barb. The natural spring has goodwater I'll probsbly just dig a small water pond let it fill off the spring. I'll onlg be able to run 10 Head on it. But that's 10 more head i can use