Corriente Finished beef

Help Support CattleToday:

goddy

Reaction score
Question for people with experience with Corriente.

Was a craigslist ad here in Central Oregon where a guy was advertising to "butcher ready" steers - weighing between 550 and 650 lbs. I can't imagine any animal being ready to butcher at those weights bit is it possible with a corriente ? I mean its not even a decent weight for a weaner. Just curios.

Is a corriente ever really ready to butcher?
I guess I can't really answer your question, but I see those types of ads all the time. What they really mean, is they're ready to sell him and hoping someone who doesn't know any better will read their ad.

Corrientes ground to hamburger aren't all that bad really. I've even had steaks off of one that weren't the worst steaks I've ever had. We fed two of our roping steers a bunch of corn and killed them at about 750 lbs.

As far as the steers in the ad I know some butchers looking to make some money will buy the feeder calves that are crippled or jersey Bulls that don't sell good or something like that and they kill them pretty much from 500 lbs on up.

Ojp6":289gwoc6 said:
Corrientes ground to hamburger aren't all that bad really.
As far as the steers in the ad I know some butchers looking to make some money will buy the feeder calves that are crippled and they kill them pretty much from 500 lbs on up.
Yupper :nod:

Corrientes = good lean hamburger.

A fellow at the sales barn only buys the lame and weak feeders. I asked him if he had a lot of pasture to straighten them out.
He said, "Nope. Once they're chopped up into little pieces and packaged nobody knows what they looked like live."
Then he pointed out another buyer at the sale. "He's my main competition, I don't know how he gets away with it.
He's usda inspected, I'm not."

HDRider":3r57x9o6 said:
I can tell you where slaughtered Corrientes go, I had a steak at Waffle House today.
Man that's nearly as bad as falling for the "fresh Louisiana Crawfish" served up at the Choke and Puke in Idaho.

TexasBred":ohuwc78e said:
HDRider":ohuwc78e said:
I can tell you where slaughtered Corrientes go, I had a steak at Waffle House today.
Man that's nearly as bad as falling for the "fresh Louisiana Crawfish" served up at the Choke and Puke in Idaho.
They opened a new one in my home town. My parents wanted to go there. I try to support the beef industry every time I can.

First time I ate at a WH in 30 years, and judging by how bad this brand new one was, I'll be dead before someone talks me into another one.

BTW - I do believe crawfish can be shipped live if done right.

I fed out and ate an old roping steer one time. He sure wouldn't have made CAB. He had spent two years being chased and drug around the practice pen so he was a little bigger than most. I penned him up and grained him for 90 days. He weighed around 850 when I killed him. The meat wasn't melt in your mouth tender but it wasn't tough. And it had good flavor. I was feeding a lot of mouths at that time and it was cheap so it worked for me.

I have a 1/2 Longhorn, 1/2 Hereford that I am finishing out for butchering. I would like to see a little more fat on him, but I'm thinking that should make some fine hamburger!!

HDRider":3d97uw16 said:
First time I ate at a WH in 30 years, and judging by how bad this brand new one was, I'll be dead before someone talks me into another one.

BTW - I do believe crawfish can be shipped live if done right.

Probably can but I'd sure be leary of them unless there was a cajun in the joint doing the cooking. ;-)

Some of the best beef I've had came from two year old corriente heifer straight off the pasture. She had lost a calf and we waited about 3 months till she bloomed up and butchered her. She hadn't been off the place and hadn't been "limit fed" in someone's catch pen so that might have made a lot of difference.

Latest posts