Corriente beef

Help Support CattleToday:

wtexasfam

Reaction score
Has anybody tried Corriente beef? I'm talking about a 3+ year old (used) steer, grass-fed. I've been told the beef is really good and tasty without too much fat; thinking of buying one for the family. Comments??? :!:

If the steer is "used".. I'm assuming you mean they've been roping it? I'm going to guess it's VERY lean and not very tender. If you take it to a good processing plant, they'll know what cuts will be the most desireable. I wouldn't count on steaks and such.. but hamburger with some added fat from another source would be good.

I'll give another point of view. We raise corrientes for roping. Over the past couple of years we have finished some at our feedlot and had them harvested to eat for ourselves. We were really surprised at how good they are. I believe them to be just as tender (and in most cases with the general not-so-much-angus-black-steer) more tender than the average steer. All of the steaks we have had have been wonderful they are tender without using a tenderizer and so much leaner. The hamburger is great because in most cases you don't even have to drain it when it is done cooking. So, we love the corriente beef, would make it hard for us to go back to "normal" beef after trying what we have. I believe the tenderness is genetic b/c with-in the genetic make-up of a corriente are dairy cattle and dairy cattle and known for being tender. Anyway, good stuff if it is finished properly b/c the meat turns out lean and tender.

I have eaten Corriente beef, although just a couple times that I knew of. The flavor was excellent, tenderness was average.

I don't imagine the animal would go straight from the roping pen to the slaughterhouse?? If there's some rest and feed in between, it should make a good beef, just smaller than some.

I have eaten old over grown roping steers before. The flavor was good. They weren't melt in your mouth tender but not tough. I always gave them 60-90 days of good feed and easy living before I butchered them.

like both the above posters said...........but if your buying it and gonna fatten or try too... best too buy a good beef type to start with... youll be money and pounds ahead, to put it in a animal that converts feed to flesh

If you feed them up they're good beef, I know alot of folks who feed out their used Corriente and Longhorn steers. Most people who have tried the lean beef like it. Not everyone likes all the fat and waste of some of the other breeds. We usually grass feed our Longhorn beef but maybe put them on some grain for the last 45 days. We don't spend alot of money getting them fat either. Usually feed the steer with some yearling heifers. I personally like the grass fed beef better. Guess it's what you get used to, I know it's healthy.

They should be fine.

Nothing wrong with lean meat. Actually, a lot of people pay extra for it.

I see these people that are feeding so much feed to the cows, and they think I'm crazy for the little amount of grain based feed that mine get. When they butcher and throw all that fat away (or add it to the hamburger), they are deceiving themselves.

I'll put up my lean Angus beef against those type of feeders any day of the week. So much of the beef flavor, texture, and tenderness depends on how it's cooked....

Up here Corriente sell for about half the price per pound of the beef breeds. Ain't no resale profit in them. Sounds like they would be a buy if you can feed them up to be good meat.

We've been raising registered Corriente cattle for over 20 years and in the past 6 have added a grassfed Corriente beef market to the multiple opportunities for utilizing this breed of cattle for a profit Check out our web site for nutritional information - surprised us! http://www.6ranch.com We knew the flavor and tenderness was incredible, but the nutritional advantages over conventional cattle is really great. We have tasting notes by international judges and have won several taste/tenderness tests compared to Angus. If you have a chance to butcher a full blood Corriente for your beef supply, don't miss it. We finish on grass, no grain - no anti-biotics. Nothing less than 26 months and up to 16 - 17 year old cows. We sell out every year and have yet to meet the demand.

Occasionally I haven eaten one. I was actually surprised at how good they were.