Which is more profitable? Beef or dairy?

Help Support CattleToday:

z
@burroughs85 what is your experience with raising livestock?
l, my family had pet miniature goats, pheasants, doves, ducks, geese, rabbits and chickens when I was a boy. Oops, they don't count as livestock except for the hens which we collected eggs from. No animals raised for meat or milk by me. Two of my semi-rural neighbors had a head of Hereford beef each they would raise and slaughter on premises. The truck would come with a man and a pistol. One of these neighbors also raised sheep.

I see. I think it is good you have an interest in raising cattle now. You seem to have a little knowledge, but you should get some exposure to more conventional agriculture. Nothing wrong with trying to do organic, grass-fed whatever, but you shouldn't try to be successful with that by demonizing conventional agriculture. People raising conventional livestock aren't primarily doing it for the money (most don't make money). They do it because they enjoy taking care of animals.

I see. I think it is good you have an interest in raising cattle now. You seem to have a little knowledge, but you should get some exposure to more conventional agriculture. Nothing wrong with trying to do organic, grass-fed whatever, but you shouldn't try to be successful with that by demonizing conventional agriculture. People raising conventional livestock aren't primarily doing it for the money (most don't make money). They do it because they enjoy taking care of animals.
Yes, it's called 'hobby farms'. You have to have some disposable wealth to do this, however. Still, these people have to keep a roof over their collective heads and pay bills. I do understand this notion: no farms, no food. It's hard to understand why something so vital to humans needs as food production isn't very lucrative to those who sweat from sunup until sundown each and every day. Why does the rancher and farmer, the ones who puts in the hardest work and most time, get the crappy end of the stick? Who is making most of the profits in the food industry? The likes of Tyson executives?

Yes, it's called 'hobby farms'. You have to have some disposable wealth to do this, however. Still, these people have to keep a roof over their collective heads and pay bills. I do understand this notion: no farms, no food. It's hard to understand why something so vital to humans needs as food production isn't very lucrative to those who sweat from sunup until sundown each and every day. Why does the rancher and farmer, the ones who puts in the hardest work and most time, get the crappy end of the stick? Who is making most of the profits in the food industry? The likes of Tyson executives?
Not just hobby farms sir. Commercial dairy farmers and ranchers also have a love for the life and the animals. If they didn't, their productivity levels would be so poor, they would not be in business. A machine cannot duplicate the care and interest of a live person.

Certain facts exist regardless of the profitability of farming regardless of the love or care for animals: people need food, farmers and ranchers need to make ends meet. Naturally, I would want wholesome foods conducive to good health free of soiling and contamination without compromising animal welfare to boot. Food also has to be affordable for my budget. Farms for the consumer markets also are not in business to be not-for-profit. It's a tough equation to crunch. Mass production of foods might degrade food quality as well as animal welfare. The root of man's economic problems lies in world overpopulation. Too many mouths to feed. In the old days, a percentage of Americans were into some sort of agriculture and there were fewer mouths in this world to feed also. I question the level of sanitary conditions regarding food production and food handling in the old days, however. The notion of cow dung or rat droppings in my food grosses me out.

Last edited:
The notion of cow dung or rat droppings in my food grosses me out.
Vegetables are grown in the dirt. With all sorts of animals walking over them and doing 1 and 2 on them. Fruit grown in trees with birds flying over and roosting in the trees. Park a car under a tree and look what happens. Fish and seafood grown in water that might not be drinkable. Water supply from rivers and lakes where nasty things happen. Grains harvested by combines that are not sanitized. Insects and vermin in those combines in the off season. Grain stored in silos with insects and insecticides present and probably a mouse or two.

It's a nasty world. Most food gets cleaned up somewhat before use. I suspect it is much better now than in older days, but all those people survived. You know the saying - "Sh*t happens". We just have to do the best we can. Chances of death from dirty food are probably less than death from most other causes. A person who works around the rear end of a cow is sure to get a little contamination. But a little rinsing up and I am ready to eat - most any food. Some people say its builds immunity.

Organic fertilizer - think about what that is and where it comes from. Anyone who has moved chicken litter understands the grit factor. You can feel it on your lips and teeth. Which is better - organic fertilizer or chemical fertilizer? I ain't too worried for myself.

Vegetables are grown in the dirt. With all sorts of animals walking over them and doing 1 and 2 on them. Fruit grown in trees with birds flying over and roosting in the trees. Park a car under a tree and look what happens. Fish and seafood grown in water that might not be drinkable. Water supply from rivers and lakes where nasty things happen. Grains harvested by combines that are not sanitized. Insects and vermin in those combines in the off season. Grain stored in silos with insects and insecticides present and probably a mouse or two.

It's a nasty world. Most food gets cleaned up somewhat before use. I suspect it is much better now than in older days, but all those people survived. You know the saying - "Sh*t happens". We just have to do the best we can. Chances of death from dirty food are probably less than death from most other causes. A person who works around the rear end of a cow is sure to get a little contamination. But a little rinsing up and I am ready to eat - most any food. Some people say its builds immunity.

Organic fertilizer - think about what that is and where it comes from. Anyone who has moved chicken litter understands the grit factor. You can feel it on your lips and teeth. Which is better - organic fertilizer or chemical fertilizer? I ain't too worried for myself.
Certain facts exist regardless of the profitability of farming regardless of the love or care for animals: people need food, farmers and ranchers need to make ends meet. Naturally, I would want wholesome foods conducive to good health free of soiling and contamination without compromising animal welfare to boot. Food also has to be affordable for my budget. Farms for the consumer markets also are not in business to be not-for-profit. It's a tough equation to crunch. Mass production of foods might degrade food quality as well as animal welfare. The root of man's economic problems lies in world overpopulation. Too many mouths to feed. In the old days, a percentage of Americans were into some sort of agriculture and there were fewer mouths in this world to feed also. I question the level of sanitary conditions regarding food production and food handling in the old days, however. The notion of cow dung or rat droppings in my food grosses me out.
99% of food has some kind of contamination. If not, it's been overly processed in a sterile "clean room" I'll take dirt and poop for immune system benefit, Alex…