Conformation Thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a new Simmi bull, and I would like to ask for some opinions on a 2 yr old. I cut the head off on purpose so as to not identify the bull (he doesn't belong to me). His blaze white face is plenty masculine enough... Specifically, I would like opinions on these two profile angles, legs/feet, as well as scrotal conformation and "hang time.".

I appreciate your thoughts in advance...

ballss.JPG

his conformation is typical of simmental,, legs aint to bad,, like alot of em he needs more depth scrotum looks out of balance one nut larger than the other??

ALACOWMAN":2wyx018b said:
his conformation is typical of simmental,, legs aint to bad,, like alot of em he needs more depth scrotum looks out of balance one nut larger than the other??

What he said and maybe a little too straight on the rear pasterns. He's not a bad bull just not a great one. I would use him on commercial cows. You need Jeanne to wade in here she's the Simmi expert!

Apart from not being dun or red, he does not show a lot of other sim caracteristics either.
I beleive you when you tell me, otherwise I think sims have big ears, and more muscle, thickness and depth. Sack looks a little odd, and low for a young bull.

ANAZAZI":o2ukfqho said:
Apart from not being dun or red, he does not show a lot of other sim caracteristics either.
I beleive you when you tell me, otherwise I think sims have big ears, and more muscle, thickness and depth. Sack looks a little odd, and low for a young bull.
you ever been to Florida??? you gotta put a skid on your nutts to keep em from dragging in the sand :cowboy:

kinda like the set to the hind leg, the photo does give the impression one nut is bigger than the other, nice level topline, nicely laid in shoulder, smooth not coarse, tail head set in nicely too, clean sheathed, lot to like about the bull I think.

Speaking of sheath is it my imagination or is it white. I know that is a disqualification on some breeds but not sure on Sims?

Why would a little white on a sheath be grounds for disqualification in a breed that 15 years ago had white faces, white stockings, and often a white patch on the top side, with a white underline???

ANAZAZI":w13lla4v said:
I beleive you when you tell me, otherwise I think sims have big ears, and more muscle, thickness and depth.
Really he is pretty typical of American Simmentals now. When you add a little Angus you lose a little muscle. When you moderate your birth weights you lose some thickness. When you breed for easy keeping, moderate frame females in a large framed breed, you can lose more muscle and thickness. When you do all of the above at the same time, you change a lot of type characteristics.

Brandonm22":24nbhtsa said:
ANAZAZI":24nbhtsa said:
I beleive you when you tell me, otherwise I think sims have big ears, and more muscle, thickness and depth.
Really he is pretty typical of American Simmentals now. When you add a little Angus you lose a little muscle. When you moderate your birth weights you lose some thickness. When you breed for easy keeping, moderate frame females in a large framed breed, you can lose more muscle and thickness. When you do all of the above at the same time, you change a lot of type characteristics.

You have my european pity :cry2:

To obtain a more accurate concept of this bull I would like to know his age at the time of the pictures. I am assuming he was about 14 months at the time. If so, his leg/feet phenotype will modify as nitrogen thickens his bone appearance, and his 'long bones' cease their length growth. It is being assumed that his right testicle is larger than his left one, when the reality of the situation could be that his left testicle has not developed as completely (yet!) as his right one has. And the fact that he is in Florida (summer time??) predicates that his scrotum will "hang" lower (away from the heat of his body because of the "Thermo-regulatory System" functioning properly!) than might seem desirable. That is a correct functional trait!

As others have said, this bull has a lot of positive traits in his favor. It appears that he is standing a little close in his hind leg stance,, which could indicate that his hindquarter thickness (side-to-side) is not optimal, - and he may be a little sickle-hocked, but that can only be detected by a 90 degree straight-on view in a picture - and I would suggest that you view the bull live and up close before making a definite decision. He seems to me to be a sastifactory choice for a commercial bull, but not for a Registered herd.

DOC HARRIS

If the bull was 14 months on the picture my comment about his lack of thickness is not relevant.
I assumed the picture was new and the bull 24 months-

Brandonm22":23f26lwy said:
Why would a little white on a sheath be grounds for disqualification in a breed that 15 years ago had white faces, white stockings, and often a white patch on the top side, with a white underline???

I don't know you tell me. I just asked a simple question. Why would it.

All you had to say is NO it is not a disqualification!

Looks like he lacks the width of base I'd like to see. I do like his profile tho.

3waycross":1hr4oov4 said:
Speaking of sheath is it my imagination or is it white. I know that is a disqualification on some breeds but not sure on Sims?

even in Angus, so long as the white isn't forward of the sheath he would be eligible, personally though I cut calves with a white sheath, a spot or two is fine but all white is a signal he may sire unregisterable levels in his progeny.

robert":1nc0l8dg said:
3waycross":1nc0l8dg said:

even in Angus, so long as the white isn't forward of the sheath he would be eligible, personally though I cut calves with a white sheath, a spot or two is fine but all white is a signal he may sire unregisterable levels in his progeny.

Thanks Robert, I wasn't sure what the exact criteria was.

GR, you asked specifically about hind legs and testicals. to me it seems the hind legs are a little close together (ie he doesn't stand wide which can indicate less muscle. The angulation of the legs is good. He appears to have a slight twist to the testicles, which is discriminated against in the show ring but in my personal experience i've used a couple of twisted bulls with no effect on fertility or daughters udder conformation. These two faults combined wouldn't put me off buying him if I otherwise liked him and he suited my situation and wallet.

Latest posts