Confederate Flag BAN

Help Support CattleToday:

3MR":269rwhdy said:
Well lets look at that from several perspectives.

1. We aren't in Germany

2. The Nazi flag can be legally displayed here

3. So the Nazi flag can be displayed here in the good ole U.S of A, but now it seems the Confederate battle flag can not.

Seems like a perfect example of a group of people who think their rights are the only ones that matter.

Seems the city treats all as equals. They make no exceptions for anyone along this side. Why does it always have to be the "battle flag" instead of the "official" flag of the confederacy? If it had of happened to the Nazi flag, flag of the USSR or Mexico CB nor anyone else would have said a dam word. But it's the confederacy. We're trying to keep the world of "Gone With the Wind" alive and well. :mrgreen:

I didn't read the article, but I agree, as long as all groups are treated equally then I have no gripe.

Its always the battle flag instead of the confederate flag because most people who complain about it cant tell the difference between a Confederate flag and a Texas state flag.

3MR":31feiuzv said:
I didn't read the article, but I agree, as long as all groups are treated equally then I have no gripe.

Its always the battle flag instead of the confederate flag because most people who complain about it cant tell the difference between a Confederate flag and a Texas state flag.

Horse shyt.

3MR, you should read the article so that you will know what people are talking about before you run your mouth.

Yea 3mr what groups should be equal? I believe in America a confederate states of America flag has a place, but i don't see the need for flags from other country's.

Fly it anyway and then play dumb when they come to tell you its illegal. Wait about a month and then do it again... tell them you forgot... repeat steps one and two ;-) What are they going to do? You could also wait about six months for everyone to forget and then fly it. :D
The laws have become so numerous and specific that almost no-one can abide by all of them... It's time to just be who we are and accept that sometimes that makes us criminals. :lol:

TexasBred":375epys4 said:
3MR":375epys4 said:
Well lets look at that from several perspectives.

1. We aren't in Germany

2. The Nazi flag can be legally displayed here

3. So the Nazi flag can be displayed here in the good ole U.S of A, but now it seems the Confederate battle flag can not.

Seems like a perfect example of a group of people who think their rights are the only ones that matter.

Seems the city treats all as equals. They make no exceptions for anyone along this side. Why does it always have to be the "battle flag" instead of the "official" flag of the confederacy? If it had of happened to the Nazi flag, flag of the USSR or Mexico CB nor anyone else would have said a dam word. But it's the confederacy. We're trying to keep the world of "Gone With the Wind" alive and well. :mrgreen:

Ah that is where you are wrong TB, if they had been burning the American I wouldn't have liked it a bit.
But if you don't have the right to burn the symbol of freedom you are not free.

And in Germany they should really allow the Nazi flag to be displayed as well!

Why would anyone championing freedom disagree with this?

And Mohammad Atta and his buddies were free to take flight instruction courses. Who says this ain't a free country?

DUH!! I am NOT comparing the two flags, other than the fact that we are talking about the rights of a citizen of a particular country to display the flag of a failed former regime in that country!

Germany even has Google BLOCK all references to Nazi, Hitler, Concentration Camp, etc, while in USA, we have museums, books, statues, etc. about the Civil War. Our history books document the terrible things that happened.

If you havent caught on I AGREE that the Confederate flag should be allowed. I also said that the Nazi one should be allowed in Germany.

However, USA is as free as other country I can think of, other than possibly Australia.

Confederate_Flag_Wallpaper_mxyak.jpg

chippie":667jki1f said:
3MR, you should read the article so that you will know what people are talking about before you run your mouth.

Wow, chippie. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Little sensitive are we?

And.........just to make your day brighter I read the paragraph length article and I would say its pretty clear and stand by my previous statement. "All non government displays are prohibited". I looked into it a bit further and the Confederate flags were flown by a private group, the SCV, a group I like and support, but who got upset when they couldn't use a particular item of public property to exercise their right to free speech. The city bans all use of that property in exercising free speech so I don't see the problem at all.

This is America and the majority of the citizens of a community can enact laws they support and like. If they aren't part of the majority and don't want to live with the law this is still America and they have the right of movement. They can move to a community that is more in lines with their ideals.

Hope you have a great day Chippie. :tiphat:

denvermartinfarms":3dtxlepj said:
Yea 3mr what groups should be equal? I believe in America a confederate states of America flag has a place, but i don't see the need for flags from other country's.

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with origins, it has to do with protected speech and that is what this is about. You cant limit one groups freedom of speech and not do it across the board for similar types of speech, ie: flying a flag that you happen to like or support.

IABeef":3ozf34y3 said:
DUH!! I am NOT comparing the two flags, other than the fact that we are talking about the rights of a citizen of a particular country to display the flag of a failed former regime in that country!

Germany even has Google BLOCK all references to Nazi, Hitler, Concentration Camp, etc, while in USA, we have museums, books, statues, etc. about the Civil War. Our history books document the terrible things that happened.

If you havent caught on I AGREE that the Confederate flag should be allowed. I also said that the Nazi one should be allowed in Germany.

However, USA is as free as other country I can think of, other than possibly Australia.

I agree, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

hooknline":2aq72ed5 said:
Not to mention the nazi flag stood for a nation of hate, and the confederate flag stood for a group of states wanting states rights. Lights me up when people say the confederate flag stands for slavery. Only a narrow minded, uneducated, uninformed fool would think that.

That would be Jefferson Davis bro . Read some of his speeches as well as those of many of the congressmen from the southern states. What state right was the union denying the southern states??? The right to own slaves?? Ok...what others???

denvermartinfarms":2v8ksart said:

The "Confederate States of America" WAS another country, with an army, a constitution and a government.

It was all a power play. The union didn't want the states to secede because there were too many reasons to keep them in the union. Those in power also didnt want to give the states the freedom to choose about slavery, or to be able to supersede the laws of the country in favor of states laws. Slavery was only one issue but it came down a power play.

The New York Times has an article on yesterday's celebration of the 150th anniversary of the inauguration of Jefferson Davis as president of the Confederacy:

Before a cheering crowd of several hundred men and women, some in period costume and others in crisp suits, an amateur actor playing Jefferson Davis was sworn in as president of the Confederacy on the steps of the Alabama Capitol on Saturday, an event framed by the firing of artillery, the delivery of defiant speeches and the singing of "Dixie."

The participants far outnumbered the spectators, but it was to be the largest event of the year organized by the Sons of Confederate Veterans and one in a series of commemorations of the 150th anniversary of the Confederacy and the War for Southern Independence. (Referring to the Civil War as anything other than an act of unwarranted Northern aggression upon a sovereign republic was rather frowned upon.)

The Sons' principal message was that the Confederacy was a just exercise in self-determination that had been maligned by "the politically correct crowd" through years of historical distortions. It is the right of secession that they emphasize, not the cause, which they often describe as a complicated mix of tariff and tax disputes and Northern attempts to politically subjugate the South.

The Times article reports that the SCV sought to downplay as much as possible the fact that Davis' motive for secession was to protect and extend the institution of slavery. Unfortunately for them and other apologists for the Confederacy, the real Jefferson Davis unequivocally stated in 1861 that the cause of his state's secession was that "she had heard proclaimed the theory that all men are created free and equal, and this made the basis of an attack upon her social institutions; and the sacred Declaration of Independence has been invoked to maintain the position of the equality of the races." Other Confederate leaders also emphasized that slavery was the reason for secession (see here, here, and here).

Unlike most critics of the Confederacy, I am not necessarily hostile to the idea of secession as such. However, a secession undertaken for the profoundly evil purpose of perpetuating slavery does not deserve to be celebrated. Nor should apologists retrospectively try to whitewash the Confederates' motives.

I think that article is correct if you are talking about the later part of the war. Initially, Lincoln was going to let the slave states keep slavery. It wasn't until later that slavery became an issue in the war.

I had this debate a few months ago with a friend from Virginia. What was never answered was the fact that even though the Confederates had gone through all the motions of setting up their own country the US deemed it illegal and never recognized them as their own. The problem my friend had was with the flag was it was used by soldiers of another country to kill his (US) countrymen.

Latest posts