Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":2ffx21if said:
Pretty to look at, but his numbers aren't much:

newtrend.gif

Better #'s:

peak_performer_6-05.jpg

I'd consider this fella:

DCSFPostRockTopBrassET.jpg

If you've just shown me the head of the second bull and asked me to identify the breed I would have gotten it wrong.

I like the phenotype of the first bull, actually all three is pretty good.

cfpinz":3jyndx2e said:
Pretty to look at, but his numbers aren't much:

newtrend.gif

Better #'s:

peak_performer_6-05.jpg

I'd consider this fella:

DCSFPostRockTopBrassET.jpg

Tail head on the second one way too much milk on the third. Don;t know who the first one is

Seen mature daughters and they hit the spot in conformation and in attitude great easy to handle cattle that raise good babies. If you can check out this bull on the american gelbvieh page search engine AMGV 1006307, thats the red bull I use. We have his first crop of calves on the grown and their looking pretty good.

double v":ps0r2mde said:
Seen mature daughters and they hit the spot in conformation and in attitude great easy to handle cattle that raise good babies. If you can check out this bull on the american gelbvieh page search engine AMGV 1006307, thats the red bull I use. We have his first crop of calves on the grown and their looking pretty good.

Too much milk to work for us

dun":1quasmu8 said:
double v":1quasmu8 said:

Totally off beat....

What type milk #'s do you look for in herefords?

redfornow":3obckpr9 said:
dun":3obckpr9 said:
double v":3obckpr9 said:

Totally off beat....

What type milk #'s do you look for in herefords?
Around breed average, same as for Gelbvieh. Over 20 in either breed and hard keepers starts to rear its ugly head.

cfpinz":14ur0w53 said:
dun":14ur0w53 said:
Tail head on the second one way too much milk on the third. Don;t know who the first one is

Third one is New Trend, his numbers are lacking but I think he's gorgeous. About 3/4 down the page:

http://www.juddranchinc.com/herdsires.html

I typed that wrong, I meant to say the first bull was New Trend, he's on the link above. I think he's a gorgeous animal.

baxter78":38ar3mz0 said:
That is about a +22 Angus. How you figure that sucks?

The breed average for Gelbvieh is 17, 11 is only 65% of the breed average. My preference is within 10% of the breed average. Too little milk is just as bad as too much.

arkie 74":23se2f75 said:
I like this bull also. I also liked these two bulls JDPD Astro 407S and JRI Top Secret 253M75 ET both can be seen on this web site. Dun and anyone else whats your thoughts on these bulls?
http://www.cattlemensconnection.com
Thanks

JRI Top Secret semen is no longer available, it was pulled because Top Secret isn't able to donate any longer, infection. Too bad, I thought he can throw some really good offspring. If you have semen on him, your doing good. JDPD Astro semen will go quick to, he died this past spring. He was bedded by us in Denver, great disposition, lots of capacity, really nice young bull. I'd like to see his calves.

dun":q9k6lwxg said:
baxter78":q9k6lwxg said:

The breed average for Gelbvieh is 17, 11 is only 65% of the breed average. My preference is within 10% of the breed average. Too little milk is just as bad as too much.
dun-

I won't argue too much with your statement about "---too little milk is just as bad as too much", BUT, I think it depends on the Milk requirements of each overall HERD average. If your herd average is lacking in milk, AND WEANING WEIGHT, and you are thinking replacement heifers from a calf crop, THEN you should be aware of Milk EPD's. But when you realize that the "M" figure is a predictor of a sire's genetic merit for milk and mothering ability expressed in 'pounds of calf' WEANED by his daughters compared to daughters of other sires, you can analyze as to whether your COW herd needs some help in the calf WEANING department. It is not JUST milk for which the Milk EPD flag is waving. I think that sometimes we can concentrate TOO much on one factor, and overlook the importance of other factors.

DOC HARRIS

Doc Harris

I won't argue too much with your statement about "---too little milk is just as bad as too much", BUT, I think it depends on the Milk requirements of each overall HERD average. If your herd average is lacking in milk, AND WEANING WEIGHT, and you are thinking replacement heifers from a calf crop, THEN you should be aware of Milk EPD's. But when you realize that the "M" figure is a predictor of a sire's genetic merit for milk and mothering ability expressed in 'pounds of calf' WEANED by his daughters compared to daughters of other sires, you can analyze as to whether your COW herd needs some help in the calf WEANING department. It is not JUST milk for which the Milk EPD flag is waving. I think that sometimes we can concentrate TOO much on one factor, and overlook the importance of other factors.

I agree with you in theory Doc, but I suspect Dun knows where the EPD number gets him into trouble for his breeds and his environment.

DOC HARRIS":3oujjgrf said:
dun":3oujjgrf said:
baxter78":3oujjgrf said:

dun-

DOC HARRIS

We don;t need milk what we're looking for is a F1 cow that can excel in our environment. Our Red Angus and the F1 Red AngusxHerefords do ok with weaning weight and condition. The Gelbvieh Red Angus rosses do well. The main problem is the Gelbvieh is getting too diluted and we need another shot of it. Rather then the usual Gelbvieh Red Angus corss we're trying Gelbvieh Hereford cross. I personally think that is the better way to go and use a Red Angus bull as a terminal on the F1's to boost the REA.

Elwapo had some purebred gelbys that were really nice looking cattle. He may could steer you in a direction because he also deals ra. Elwapo "couple of bull pics", try that.