Bull pic comments wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH":2ig1gr7k said:
What I am saying is this is what nature has selected. So are we really breeding up or are we breeding so they wont survive when all the human race is gone?
Are we really doing the right thing.

You can have your cake and eat it to if you're careful about your genetics. My herd is kind of mixed right now because I still have quite a few purchased animals and I took what I could find and some of them aren't all that well adapted to my country and require some suplement but roughly half of my cows would get along just fine if I die in my sleep tonight and their calves sell just as well as the other half. I'm making more like them to and there are plenty of genetics to pick from without sacrificing quality.

There's a lot of strong suits in those type cattle...but we're in the beef business,we got to hang as much meat on em as possible..bet there not much genetic defects left in the survivors..

JHH":39dq4yhj said:
DOC HARRIS":39dq4yhj said:
JHH":39dq4yhj said:
Pic of bull comments wanted.

Comments??? "SHEESH" - and -" DON'T GET ME STARTED!"

From Horns to Heels - and -Brisket to Butt - this picture should be enlarged, framed, and posted on the Barn Wall as an example of "What you DON'T WANT TO SELECT FOR IN A HERD BULL!

DOC HARRIS

What I am saying is this is what nature has selected. So are we really breeding up or are we breeding so they wont survive when all the human race is gone?

Look at us. Most moms use formula, babys are tongue tied and everthing else nowadays. so have we bred out the ability for mom to give milk? I would bet if that's all that was available was moms milk 20% or more new borns would not be here. That was just an example and no real facts just me rambiling so take it how you want.

Are we really doing the right thing.

There are several strategies in nature to make sure your genetics continue to the next generation. Making yourself indispensable to another species is a very common way to ensure survival. Most plants and wildflower seeds are planted by ants.

Some of mankind's earliest writings and illustrations are about breeding fig trees. We have nurtured and carried them with us through history because they taste delicious. We selected the trees with the most sugar over time, not the figs and insects. Over all, it has been an incredibly beneficial relationship for both of us.

The same thing goes with cattle. We selected the cattle that taste better and it has been a beneficial relationship for both of us. The bull in that photo is the result of a different strategy in nature to ensure that those genetics continue to the next generation.

I'd be interested to know how long they've been in isolation, what they started as, and what kind of feed they have.
But I do applaud your train of thought with this post.

Latest posts