Comments on Hereford bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Prairiegrass

Reaction score
I'm looking for some comments on the following ABS and Select Sires bulls. I've searched the archives but some comments are couple years old. Looking for something fairly proven with daughters on the ground. Does not need to be calving ease but must be above breed average. Current Hereford bull choice doesn't have enough butt. Feel to give suggestions, I just happen to have ABS/SS catalogs and it's a bear using online catalogs for more than EPD looks ups so this is where I'm starting.

Harland
Frame score of daughters. Comments from previous threads have his daughters anywhere from 5-7, but that was 09 and not many comments since. Any more comments on frame size? I want a frame 6 cow or less; preferably 5.5 or less. Looking for feet and leg comments – especially feet. Are udders and teats going to hold up – especially teat size.

Domino 3027
Feet and leg comments same as above. Listed as good udder sire, how about teat size in particular? Was discussed previously as "show sire." Any new comments there? Cow frame size? He has a yearling frame listed but not mature frame.

Thor
I like everything ABS writes about this bull, especially the cow longevity. Can I assume he's standing on good feet? Comments in the past have questioned his ability to hold up outside the show ring. Any new thoughts? Any temperament issues? He's listed with a YFS of 6.2, but his mother is 5.5. He would probably be used on Predestined daughters so I think I'll be OK on frame size.

Ribeye
Seems to be getting a lot of use. Listed as good footed, how about udders/ teats? Although his YW EPD is acceptable to me, seems like with a YFS of 7 it should be higher. Is he short on muscle? His MFS is listed as 6. Anyone have daughters they can comment on?

Final question. Do Hereford breeders feel the across breed EPD adjustment factor of -17.5 for Angus comparisons is accurate? Thanks, PG

Prairiegrass":19660in8 said:
Final question. Do Hereford breeders feel the across breed EPD adjustment factor of -17.5 for Angus comparisons is accurate? Thanks, PG

No! I don't think ANY of the across breed adjustments are really worth looking at for comparison - and proof of that was pointed out in an earlier thread here.

As far as the 4 Hereford bulls you mentioned, they have been used enough that you should be able to compare them favorably, as far as their EPDs go. As far as those functional traits not demonstrated by EPDs, I'm no help, as I've not used any of the bulls. I'm using Harland some this year.

Good luck! It sure is nice to have all these legitimate choices available from the major semen companies. Hopefully, their widespread use will change the attitude of some of these "protectionist" Hereford breeders who seem to think their bull's semen should be on par with gold.

George

Ribeye
Seems to be getting a lot of use. Listed as good footed, how about udders/ teats? Although his YW EPD is acceptable to me, seems like with a YFS of 7 it should be higher. Is he short on muscle? His MFS is listed as 6. Anyone have daughters they can comment on?

E-mail Kevin Schultz and as him about the framescore. I did so a few years ago and got a very prompt reply with a satisfactory explanation. I can't remember the exact details so I'll refrain from posting it here.

I will do some follow up with the answers I've received. I was hoping to hear from more posters with daughters but it's a busy time of year. Thanks to all who added thoughts.

I have used both Thor and Ribeye. I just had my first set of Thor calves but the bulls look promising. Do not use him on heifers if you are not around.I will use him again I am sure.

The Ribeye daughters that I have in production have nice udders with small teats. I am getting plenty of milk from them also. I will be the first to say Ribeye does not look the greatest is some pictures but he passes on the good traits. His sons at my place have been some of the top bulls from my pens every year. They have a nice hip and have depth and top on them also. He usually throws some pigment to the calves too.

The only bull I can speak of is Harland - we used him the first year semen became available - and have also used home raised sons of his both on our purebred and commercial cows.

In my opinion - the females are really functional cows, you are right on when you said for the most part they would be a frame 5 -7 .. I would say 7 being more rare .. and only off of bigger cows. They are really moderate cattle, the females have at least adequate or better milk production, their udders all round are really balanced, teat size (diameter) is great .. you may get some with a bit longer teats .. but not by any means what I would call "long". They appear to be udders that will last .. and we have not had a bad one out of the bunch .. Harland will fix udders in my experience. It appears as though that same udder strength is carrying on - his sons are leaving us with those same nice udders. The bulls again are moderate in frame ... lot's of muscle in them. The feet are pretty good - if anything I would like to see a bit bigger foot on some of them - but nothing to really worry about. If there is one thing I tell people about him (harland) ... it is to not be disappointed in his calves at birth - they grow fast - and by the fall you will be wondering why you made them steers ;-) (if you are keeping bulls that is) One of the reason's we used him to begin with was his calving ease - and they do come really nice - not super small - but built nice. He seems to pass on that smooth shoulder to his offspring as well. As a bonus - the carcass numbers off his offsrping have been really positive as well .. mainly the marbling .. but you will get some great rib-eyes in there too. We are really happy with our Harland cattle - they just are all round "functional" cattle (again .. in my opinion ! )

Here is a Harland 2 yr. old ... not a great picture .. but it kind of sums up what the females we have from the Harland bull are like

BETTY-M.jpg

This is a commercial 3yr old cow with a Harland Heifer calf

DSC01460-M.jpg

Harland Sons:
This one is right at the end of breeding ..
arj-14u-10-S.jpg

Again .. not a great picture of a 2yr old bull .. but it gives you a good idea of what the frame is like .. the bull above would be one of the larger framed Harland sons we have
ARJ-17T-2-S.jpg

Jen

Thanks jenran for taking the time to comments and send pictures. That really helps me fill out my Harland picture. I'm going to talk to the ABS rep about their bulls later this week and I had wanted some producer input before that conversation.When you say Harland could use a little more foot, do you mean total foot size or heel? I ask because a few of the cows I want to use him on for heifer replacements could use a little more depth of heel. That is the reason I am really looking at feet for my next Hereford sire. Thanks again, Pg

Prairiegrass:

I have used Harland, 3027 and Ribeye here are my observations

Harland has worked great for me, very moderate easy fleshing cattle both heifers and bull sell very well in fact I can't keep the daughters because customers always find them and want them first. I will use him heavily again this year. Does not throw much eye pigment. Bulls seem to develop a little later but are at the top by yearling age. Unlike most AI bulls his numbers get better with each calf crop, I have never had a bad Harland calf.

3027 gave us a couple of nice daughters, much the same as Harland but does throw more piment. We have not used him as much but liked the results, very nice uddered daughters.

Ribeye jury is still out for me. I have a couple of nice fall heifer calves out of him, moderate framed pigmented and pretty correct. I cut 4 spring bull calves by him last year because I thought I had too many bulls and I think they would have been pretty good. I could have sold them a couple of times over the way demand has been.