Cold vs Hot Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't love extreme heat or cold and neither do my girls. I'd say the cold months are the worst because that's when we're calving, breaking ice, shoveling/plowing snow and putting out bales. You just never know what to expect in KS. This past winter/spring was amazing with only a few really cold days but the year prior we ended up with 5 calves with frostbite. We'll bring them down to the barn & even keep them in the workshop in front of the fireplace but there's only so much you can do. And after a couple unfortunate episodes I pick my battles & don't drive any of the Man Toys so he's in the heated cab (with stereo) of the tractor or track loader while I'm cutting the netting (sometimes ice) on the bales & doing the be-nice work. And we feed cubes with buckets so if it's muddy & sloppy around the bunks there's always the risk of face-planting. Been there. Even ended up in the bunk one time with the cows eating around me (felt like the main course at a buffet). I think I burn more calories in the winter but sweat off more pounds in the summer.

TCRanch":3rcrlhkz said:
Don't love extreme heat or cold and neither do my girls. I'd say the cold months are the worst because that's when we're calving, breaking ice, shoveling/plowing snow and putting out bales. You just never know what to expect in KS. This past winter/spring was amazing with only a few really cold days but the year prior we ended up with 5 calves with frostbite. We'll bring them down to the barn & even keep them in the workshop in front of the fireplace but there's only so much you can do. And after a couple unfortunate episodes I pick my battles & don't drive any of the Man Toys so he's in the heated cab (with stereo) of the tractor or track loader while I'm cutting the netting (sometimes ice) on the bales & doing the be-nice work. And we feed cubes with buckets so if it's muddy & sloppy around the bunks there's always the risk of face-planting. Been there. Even ended up in the bunk one time with the cows eating around me (felt like the main course at a buffet). I think I burn more calories in the winter but sweat off more pounds in the summer.

TC I'll come down and help in my coveralls and muck boots! That's the beauty of the central plains (ks and ne) get both extremes of heat and cold! Doesn't feel like very far apart either. Man toys (heated cab all that) rock but my wife expects me to do the be nice work not her which is fine with me lol!

NECowboy":1tlmubpw said:
TCRanch":1tlmubpw said:

TC I'll come down and help in my coveralls and muck boots! That's the beauty of the central plains (ks and ne) get both extremes of heat and cold! Doesn't feel like very far apart either. Man toys (heated cab all that) rock but my wife expects me to do the be nice work not her which is fine with me lol!

I'll be calling you, first nasty spell. We have an on-going debate on who's "the boy" around here :roll:

Wintert Calving!! Tell me again why it's preferable? Frozen and frost-bitten calves vs. mud and flies. How many die from each cause?

City Guy":25he3i6x said:
Wintert Calving!! Tell me again why it's preferable? Frozen and frost-bitten calves vs. mud and flies. How many die from each cause?

If you don't catch them in winter, frozen is a guarantee. Mud and flies can be dealt with to a certain extent. Still remember neighbor's wreck of '98 calving in February here - blizzard hit and about 10 cows decided to all calve 1-2 weeks early after dark. Majority calves froze and some never were seen until snowdrifts melted in spring.

slick4591":3llkoij9 said:
If it would stay between 60 and 80 year around no one would ever hear me bytch about temperatures again.
I'm with you and Brangusman. Actually like it about 73 or 74 up. I like seeing green grass, leaves.
Early fall is nice but I can't help thinking winter is next.
When it is real hot (high 90s) I complain because everyone else does, but when it is cold I seriously complain.
In the 60s is chilly. Below that is cold and my body does not like it.

Son of Butch":1m01ki34 said:
People usually prefer in the 60s-70s and cattle in the 40s - 50s
Yep....just about the time you have to reach for you light jacket cattle are just getting comfortable.

My family ranches in Central California where Summer highs can be over 105 pretty handy. We also ranch in SouthWestern Wymoming where snow is measured in feet and there are plenty of days 20 below in the Winter. Having seen both I can say with confidence that I'm a California kid in the sense that sweating it out preg checking cows in the summer I can manage to get along good enough. On the other hand, we are shipping some yearlings in Wyoming Friday and there is still a couple feet from this weekend storm and it will be around 8 degrees when saddling up in the AM. I'm not a fan of that. Thats just me though.
One thing I will say though, a dry Wyoming 10 degrees doesn't feel as cold as a wet drippy winter day in California with the Tule fog when it's 35 degrees.

Latest posts